• Page:

TOPIC:

New southern California member.... 24 Jan 2006 15:12 #19710

• TunaTodd
  • TunaTodd's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everybody,
My name is Todd Hansen. I was asking around at BARF about kz440 cafe bikes and someone there turned me on to this site. I am picking up a KZ440 this weekend and plan to restore/customize it. I know the bike has been sitting with spun rod bearings(or so I'm told) for around 5 years..in the backyard...:S The guy who is hooking me up mentioned that he also has the original motor in a box in the garage...and that it's only missing a minor bodywork parts. I haven't seen the bike yet but I am guessing it is probably all beat up and sad. I would of course like to keep costs too a minimum and will do all the work myself. I am able to weld and do almost any engine work(trannies and most electrical scare me)and sheetmetal fabbing.

I look forward to seeing other KZ440s that have been customized to get some ideas. I saw a really sweet one in the gallery here, all black and lowered...nice work on that bike..

I'm sure to be seen in the engine forums once I pick up the bike......can't wait to start playing with it!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New southern California member.... 24 Jan 2006 16:12 #19722

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Welcome aboard, TunaTodd!
Sounds like you have a great winter project. Where in SoCal are you?
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

New southern California member.... 24 Jan 2006 16:29 #19727

• dutchz
  • User
  • Thank you received: 4
Welcome TunaTodd. I don't know what BARF is but it sounds like fun. Put your bike and location in your signature, saves a bunch of questions later...

Post edited by: dutchz, at: 2006/01/24 19:30
1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

New southern California member.... 25 Jan 2006 13:17 #19860

• TunaTodd
  • User
Thanks for the welcome all. I live in Aliso Viejo. BARF is the Bay Area Riders Forum...pretty cool motorcycle site though I don't live anywhere near there. I can't wait to get my hands on this mo'sheen and start modding it.

New southern California member.... 12 Feb 2006 10:33 #23339

• TunaTodd
  • User
well I finally picked up my KZ440 yesterday and found out that it is a 1981 model. It is in much better shape than expected after sitting outside since 1997. Already has some aftermarket(clubman maybe) cafe type handlebars, the gastank and side covers are almost perfect. The bike currently has a bad motor in it and I have the original in boxes that he gave me too....something about a spun rod bearing. Now I can sit and stare at it in my garage until I figure out what needs to be done to the motor....anyone have a kz440 manual???

• Page: