New from wisconsin

More
10 Feb 2008 20:29 #193892 by Dirtybiker
New from wisconsin was created by Dirtybiker
Hello My name is Scott, I'm 25 and from Milwaukee WI. I am building a 1977 kz650 race bike. I am hoping too race next year at Mid-Ohio vintage race days. I picked up the bike from a junk yard for like 40 bucks. I had no idea what to do with it. It was in really nice shape besides not having a title. I always wanted to race and just started too look at web sites like this one for performance ideas and realized that there are lots of options out there.

So far i have striped the bike down to the frame and, rebuilt the wheels polished all the spokes. I glass beaded the hubs and replaced the all the wheel bearings. I replaced the swing arm bushings with 4 needle bearings. All the aluminum parts that are visible on the whole bike will also be glass beaded.

For the most part the engine will stay stock nothing fancy. I striped the engine down too the cases and I am blasting them right now. I hope too have the bottom end rebuilt by the end of the month. I would do the whole thing but Its going too be expensive too replace all the bearings. The only performance part i have bought so far is adjustable cam gears. They were cheap on eBay, so i just grabbed them. I will wait till i have a few engine builds under my belt before i mess with those.

I do have a question though i guess if any one has any tips or knows anything too watch out for while building the bottom end of these engines that would be great thanks.

Thanks for the great ideas and information so far.

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.