Hi All--New Member from New York

More
28 Jan 2008 19:43 #191547 by Aeolus
Hi All--New Member from New York was created by Aeolus
I've been bouncing in and out of these forums as fast as I buy and sell new bikes. I went from Suzuki last year (had a '06 Boulevard Cruiser), to Honda (for my '93 Goldwing) and now that I bought myself a '02 KX1000P police motor--well here I am. I'm basically a bikehead who's been riding for more than forty years. Been through Harley's (love 'em and hate 'em), but grew up on Limey bikes. My vision is still blurry from those vertical twins. I'm a human resources professional by trade, but a writer by choice (though not a well paid writer).

I hope to be able to glean some useful advice on my new scoot and perhaps offer some when I feel I have something to offer. I look forward to making new friends and just having a good time.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2008 00:49 #191565 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hi All--New Member from New York
Welcome Aeolus (Ruler of the Winds)! The KZ1000P bikes are well made and it should last you a long while.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Jan 2008 03:16 #191572 by 2M4Dale
Replied by 2M4Dale on topic Hi All--New Member from New York
Welcome Aeolus, new friends, useful advice, good times ... looks like you've came to the right place !!! I've not been here long but have found all three things here !!!

Hello from Sunny Mansfield, Ohio
1980 KZ750H1 LTD
1981 KZ750H2 LTD

More
29 Jan 2008 04:02 #191575 by Aeolus
Replied by Aeolus on topic Hi All--New Member from New York
Thanks, Dale. I wish it was a little "sunnier" here. I happen to be in one of the cloudiest regions in the U.S. Still, having grown up with BSAs and Triumphs, I'm no stranger to British-style bad-weather riding. Those bikes were not made for warm weather. I get the feeling this air-cooled KZP likes this north-east weather, too. Thanks again for the hearty welcome.

More
29 Jan 2008 04:13 #191576 by Aeolus
Thanks for the "howdy," Mcdroid. I see you're up on your Homer. Some might call me full of wind, though I like to think of myself as being "one" with the wind (corny, I know). The duality of the name applies to both my writing and my riding, I guess.

I sure could use some of that warm Texas weather right now--though I hear it hasn't been that good this past week in spots. Still, it has to be better than it is here. I took the KZP out for the first time yesterday. It was thirty degrees and damp. When I was younger, it wouldn't have fazed me in the least--but now I find myself missing the warm, dry desert air I enjoyed when I lived in southern Colorado. When I finally retire, it won't be in Florida. How do you like Texas? It's one of the three states I've never visited (Alaska and North Dakota being the other two).

Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

More
29 Jan 2008 05:09 #191580 by Mcdroid
Aeolus...well, when I retire, it won't be in east, central, or south Texas...most likely in west Texas...been living in Texas, off and on, since 1977 and I'm really tired of being hot most of the time...and it isn't the heat, it is the humidity...it is awful. I lived in Florida for three years and it was hot and humid, like Texas, but prettier. The saving grace for Texas, for me, is the people...it is home. :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Jan 2008 06:02 #191584 by Aeolus
I'm seriously considering a move to New Mexico in the next year. I'm semi-retired already and my wife drives a school bus, so we wouldn't be giving up much in leaving New York. It gets humid here too, even in the winter--though not as bad as it does along the coast. We're about 300 miles inland and about 100 miles south of Lake Ontario. The fabled (and aptly named) RUST BELT.
I'm originally from eastern Long Island and miss the ocean, but it's not what it was when I was growing up. It's crowded, most of the fish and shellfish are gone, and it's too darned expensive.

I have to admit that, as a long-time amateur guitarist, I've been intrigued with Austin; but humidity is my nemesis. I hate it. I hate taking a shower in the summer and never getting dry. I hate the damp, bone-chilling cold of a north-east winter. I hate short riding seasons, especially. Sounds like I'm talking myself into something here, doesn't it? I just may take me a few weeks to do a solo trip out to New Mexico. It's been 25 years since I've been. I'll call it a "scouting trip."
Attachments:

More
29 Jan 2008 06:10 #191587 by Mcdroid
Aeolus wrote:

I'm seriously considering a move to New Mexico in the next year. Sounds like I'm talking myself into something here, doesn't it? I just may take me a few weeks to do a solo trip out to New Mexico. It's been 25 years since I've been. I'll call it a "scouting trip."

I do have an inordinant number of friends/acquaintances who have moved to New Mexico...I suspect you better hurry...the place will be turning into California, but without the beach.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
29 Jan 2008 06:22 #191591 by Monochrome83
Replied by Monochrome83 on topic Hi All--New Member from New York
Where in NY are you from???

Depending on distance, may be another to add to the "western NY people that will have to get together to cruise this summer" crew lol

From one n00b to another, welcome.

Stoos

More
29 Jan 2008 06:26 #191594 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Hi All--New Member from New York
I think you mean Mcdroid, New Mexico will be the next mexico, one of the few places I don't ever want to go to. I like the humidity! What can I say? I have been raised in it all of my earlier life, the islands, been to florida and didnt feel it as much as in Barbados or St. Lucia. You are a writer huh Aeolus? Your words and the way you type have a flow to them. Its great. Hey go sit on a beach, a real beach! and write something for me, take me back home to where the waves play, the sand mostly sheltered by the coconut trees, until blown by the oceanic breeze..... sounds nice huh?

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
29 Jan 2008 07:58 #191610 by Aeolus
Where I'm from on Long Island, we have some of the best beaches in the world. The only problem is that they're packed with city people who think they own them. I'm afraid I'm one of those xeniphobes who tries to avoid crowds. I like the quiet lullabye of a mountain stream or the soft murmer of the desert at dusk--minus the two-stroke waverunners and ATVs.

I live in the Binghamton, NY area for now--because it's still relatively inexpensive. But that's changing, too. New Mexico may be the same as Mexico, but Florida may as well be Cuba. Latinos don't bother me much. Idiots do--and they come in all colors and ethnicities. I like to live in a place where I can find solitude when I need it. Those places are becoming all too rare. Even when I SCUBA dive I get harrassed by boat weirdos (thank you Joe Walsh) who run over my diving flag. What's a anti-social scooter-head to do? Just take out my redneck houseboat, I suppose, and cruise.
Attachments: