Honda SOHC guy - new '81 CSR KZ1000M1 owner

More
01 Nov 2007 14:19 #179167 by Oldhemi
Hello evryone. I have been searching the net for while trying to find a group that has some tech knowledge on the 900-1000 Kawi's. WEll, you guys are the winnersB)

Here is the deal:
I picked up an AMEN Savior never-been-used Kawasaki frame a few months ago. Its still wrapped in plastic per my wife's request. I have a couple of projects lined up. My options for the frame are to sell it, mod it for another Honda SOHC 750 (I have a Savior 750 since '75) or "Do a Cow".

I have a line on a 1981 CSR that I am looking at in a couple of days. My research indicates that my frame was built in the 70's. I have learned that the '81 csr motor was changed a lot and that it will not be a drop-in.

Has anybody here swapped a "J" motor into a 73-80 frame. Please ignore that it is an aftermarket frame that I am dealing with.

Hope to hear from someone that has this knowledge.

BTW, I'll prolly pickup the CSR if it worth the price anyway. It will stay stock for at least as long until I get components squared away. Hey maybe I'll like it enough to leave it stock!:woohoo:

Post edited by: Oldhemi, at: 2007/11/01 17:24

Post edited by: Oldhemi, at: 2007/11/05 16:46

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Nov 2007 13:48 #179744 by Oldhemi
Replied by Oldhemi on topic Honda SOHC guy - new '81 CSR KZ1000M1 owner
I did pick up the CSR from Cut n Shoot on Sunday.
The Good:
Titled.
It starts ok, idles ok, brakes work ok. Engine, fenders, wheels and wiring look ok.
No noises out of engine, exhaust sounds ok.
Rust is not too bad. I should be able to do buzz-bomb touchups on the frame if I want to.

The Bad:
I knew about the seat, chain, front light mounts and air filter rubbers.
Bad that I found was dents in tank, and cracked side cover.
Rust on parts that I do care about. Megaphone, chain cover, exhaust/head clamps.

Ugly:
Greasy.
Complicated Air filter system as well as the over-engineering of battery mounting.
MY complete lack of knowledge on these carbs. Are they good or bad units?
How BIG and HEAVY this beast is!!!!! I been wheeling too many choppers around lately!

I can’t really start fooling with this bike until Feb of next year. I have stored it in a nice dry garage area about 25 miles from me.

I really do not know what I am gonna do yet with this new beast. I know that I would like to get it cleaned up and functioning correctly. Maybe ride it for while and take it from there. I think it is good “restore” or “fix-up” material. But, I don’t see a real monetary value for this model. Nice examples are available. I think it could be a great donor for my chop frame if I decide to create the front mounts and use the CSR’s front end.
l8r t8r's

More
05 Nov 2007 13:59 #179748 by fastestz1
Replied by fastestz1 on topic Honda SOHC guy - new '81 CSR KZ1000M1 owner
if you decide to sell the Amen frame
please let me know!!!!!

More
05 Nov 2007 16:31 #179763 by Oldhemi
Replied by Oldhemi on topic Honda SOHC guy - new '81 CSR KZ1000M1 owner
Fastestz1, will do!

They do show up on ebay every now and then. One just sold last week and was parted and sold this week by the hondachopper buyer that bought it!

More
05 Nov 2007 16:37 #179764 by lastbend2007
Replied by lastbend2007 on topic 1981 KZ 550
I have a KZ 550 (1981) and I I am looking at a KZ 750 seat to replace mine... does anyone know where I can get specefic info on what seats and which parts I can swap??

More
05 Nov 2007 17:55 #179777 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1981 KZ 550
Get fast info by clicking on Kawasaki Parts Diagrams under The Essentials over there in the right hand column >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

At the Kawasaki.com site, click on Motorcycles.

Then scroll to the year in the left column and click on it (say 1981 for example). Ignore choices in the other columns.

All the 1981 models will appear. Just find and click on the model (such as KZ550 Standard).

More choices appear -- click on Parts Diagrams.

An alphabetical list appears showing all component areas of the bike. Click on Seat Assembly for 1981.

A diagram of the seat assembly appears. Look at the part number of the seat assembly and find it in the lower box. Click the question mark and the models appear as follows:

Model (4):
KZ550-A1 (1980)
KZ550-A2 (1981)
KZ550-A3 (1982)
KZ550-A4 (1983)

One shortcoming of using this method to determine common parts shared among different models is that the part numbers may differ because of some irrevelant detail such as color. But this site is a good place to begin a search. :)

Another member in a different thread expressed concern about the possibility of a slight difference in seat cover pattern causing the otherwise same seat to not appear in the common list -- that wouldn't surprise me. :(

Post edited by: Patton, at: 2007/11/05 21:00

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
05 Nov 2007 19:04 #179782 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 1981 KZ 550
lastbend2007 wrote:

I have a KZ 550 (1981) and I I am looking at a KZ 750 seat to replace mine... does anyone know where I can get specefic info on what seats and which parts I can swap??

Here's a current eBay listing for a 1981 KZ550 seat ;)

Click Here

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD