New KZ'r from Newfoundland

More
03 Oct 2007 16:34 #174424 by HerrDeacon
New KZ'r from Newfoundland was created by HerrDeacon
Hello fellow KZ'rs. I'm Perry from Newfoundland, Canada.

I just picked up a 1978 KZ650 D1 on October 1, 2007 and was excited to find this site and forum. Looks to be a great site and will most definitely be a great source of information for my latest project. I plan on tearing down the entire bike and restoring it while adding my own little touches along the way. They won't be drastic changes but just little things to make it more my own. It has around 25,000 miles, is this high milage for one of these engines?

This is only my second bike, my first being a Honda CT70 that I had as a kid. I've always loved the KZ's (my brother had a 1979 KZ1000 MKII) and have always dreamed of owning one. One finally became available in my area so I jumped at the chance. It is a little rough around the edges and needs a bit of work, but that is something I was also looking for. I just finished painting and turbocharging my Nissan 240sx and so needed another project to keep me busy this winter. This will also be my first real foray into the world of carbs. Besides the lawn mower :P I haven't had any real experience with them, should be fun learning though.

As a warning you can expect a number of questions as I struggle with this project!

I've added some pics to the gallery but here is one just to show the "before" state.

Later

Post edited by: HerrDeacon, at: 2007/10/03 19:36

Post edited by: HerrDeacon, at: 2007/10/03 19:41
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Oct 2007 17:14 #174427 by harm
Replied by harm on topic New KZ'r from Newfoundland
Welcome to the site!!

The 650 is probably the most popular bike on KZR. It is a great bike. There are a few riders on here with more than 100,000 miles on there bikes:woohoo:

That is a pretty nice bike to start with! And there are a lot smart people to help you with those problems

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

More
03 Oct 2007 17:54 #174430 by Night_Train01
Replied by Night_Train01 on topic New KZ'r from Newfoundland
Welcome to the forum....you will find just about everything you will need to complete your project right here....
I vacationed once in NFLD, the small town of Ramea. I was an islander for two full weeks....

More
03 Oct 2007 17:56 #174431 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic New KZ'r from Newfoundland
Welcome Perry. Very nice 650 you've found. B)

The D model 650 had a different gas tank (coffin/squared tank) than the B and C models. Looks like yours has a B/C model tank.

I prefer the B/C model tank, probably because that's what I've had since high school, when I fell for the Z1. The 650 was designed by the same designer of the Z1, and has a very similar look. B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
04 Oct 2007 02:55 #174483 by HerrDeacon
Replied by HerrDeacon on topic New KZ'r from Newfoundland
Thanks for the warm welcomes guys. I can't wait to get started on my bike. I've checked out the gallery and there is plenty of nice inspiration there.

rstnick, are you saying that the tank on mine was probably swapped. Just starting to learn about the different models so I'm not sure of all the differences. I know the frame number is of the KZ650D-000001 type, but maybe the previous owner swapped tanks at some point?

Thanks again.

More
04 Oct 2007 04:16 #174490 by barney
Replied by barney on topic New KZ'r from Newfoundland
Welcome Perry from way over here in the middle. Keep us updated with lots of pics. Oh and nice looking starter bike buddy