Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!

More
19 Sep 2007 22:30 #171676 by rider75
Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!! was created by rider75
Hey y'all,
Been a BMW rider for near 30 years now, always admired kawi's as a bro had a 750 Four LTD and we used to swap rides once in awhile. besides, kawi's also share an aircraft heritage with BMW so I liked that too.
Heard of a pair of KZ's about a year and a half ago at an autyo wreckers way out in the boonies and finally got round to trading a non-running car for the pair of them.
The one I will put back on the road is a '76 BI 750 twin. The "organ doner" bike is a '77 650 four.
I know you 750 Four nuts will groan at that but on the bright side, I'll give y'all first crack at the leftovers :)
Attaching some pics from the first evening with the new toys. Also picked up an 83 Honda CM250C Twinstar for my daughter to learn on. Oh I gots so many prjects now I'll be busy for three winters! I gots a lotta questions too but all in good time (and in the proper forums too, Mr. Manager ;)
Enjoy these pics of my "new" Kawasakis, fresh out of the weeds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Sep 2007 06:38 #171725 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
Welcome, from another Canuk. Where are you located?

I'd be getting the 650 going as well, depending on the condition. Don't think too many parts will fit the 750 other than lights and that sort of thing. I'm kinda partial to the 650s, having one since High School in the '80s.

Get those pics resized, and post them up! B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
20 Sep 2007 07:16 #171741 by barney
Replied by barney on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
Welcome 75

More
23 Sep 2007 02:01 #172307 by rider75
Replied by rider75 on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
Hey fellas,
I hail from Peace River up in the northwest corner of Alberta, you know, where everybody is rich from oil money? (yeah right!).
Y'all got some nice lookin rides there. I can only hope that my humble project comes out halfways decent too. I'm still at the stripping and degreasing stage right now, probably a month away from hotwiring the thing up and test firing the engine. Just ran off a hugely magnified wiring diagram on the big HP plotter at work, way cool for aging eyesight like mine! I am tossing around ideas in my head. I like race bike inspired rides, dragbioke inspired rides like your two, but I also dig early cafe racer and bobber style bikes and, as a kid growing up in the 70's, I like hard core choppers and no I don't mean like on OCC or Jesse James. I mean garage built, get yer uncle Bob to weld it, cut with a hacksaw back yard choppers! I'm thinking I'll probably just play it by ear as I go along and as time, funds and whatever cool parts I find permits.
As for the 650 Four mill, I'll be peeling it open soon to see if it really was built up. Was supposed to be a drag bike project engine and it does indeed have NOS fittings on the head. If it was already run as a drag bike mill, there might be nothing left inside. We shall soon see. I'll be posting it for sale, or pieces of it anyways, to this and the other Kawi sites. Gotta make the sacrifice to get the twin running. That is one thing I kind of adopted was a motto of two wheels, two cylinders.
Cheers!

More
23 Sep 2007 06:22 #172321 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
Welcome to the forum! Let the build begin... and pics.

Looks like this is going to be a great winter for projects.

Best of success!

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
23 Sep 2007 12:09 #172380 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
Welcome!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
23 Sep 2007 20:50 #172424 by rider75
Replied by rider75 on topic Oh no, another crazy Canuk!!!
heya Bill, now I just gotta convince momma to let me set up shop on the dining room table. I'm gettin too old to be luggin engines up and down the basement stairs :)

Sandy, no shortage of them "twisties" where you live eh? Being as you are a Z1000 rider, is that the same engine Kawasaki used in the 1000GTR tourer back in '86? I always really liked the look of those bikes. Way sportier than the Concours and nicer than the "Flying Brick" K Whiners that BMW was (is) flogging. I love my Airhead BMW.