hi from fort Mitchell, ky

More
18 Sep 2007 22:09 #171474 by bushido1287
hi from fort Mitchell, ky was created by bushido1287
Hi,
I just bought a '78 kz 1000 but am having trouble with a few things. The first problem is the gas line, it came off and I'm having trouble putting it back on. Another problem are the carburators, they need to be cleaned and I'm not sure if I should take it somwhere and get them cleaned or if I can clean them myself.
I would be very grateful for any tips and advice.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2007 22:49 #171483 by rattler
Replied by rattler on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
not sure were mitchell is but i am in the owensboro area. neddle nose pliers are you friend when it comes to getting the gas line back on. is the hose hard? if so you might want to replce it.
as far as the carbs go it all depends how the bike is running and how mechanicly inclinded you are. is the bike is running lean or rich, spitting, poping, leaking gas?ect.... a little more info would help us help you a little better. if the carbs need to be gone through and rebuilt i have a friend that only works on old schools( mostly kz's) here in town. he gets alot of work and dose a hell of a job for a decent price. he is the guy that built my fathers ltd1000 and helped with my kz1000.

More
19 Sep 2007 19:13 #171653 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
Welcome aboard. Cleaning the carbs is fairly easy. Do one at a time. Get a manual if you don't have one. And when you have the time, post some pics of your bike;)

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
20 Sep 2007 05:49 #171718 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
I live in the western part of the state. I travel through Lexington quite often. I took the motorcycle instructors safety course in Richmond.

Read all the posts you can about any problem you have and don't be afraid to ask questions. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
20 Sep 2007 16:08 #171839 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
Welcome! I'm just over the river from you.

There is an Old Brit bike show at the Boone County Fairgrounds in Burlington, KY this weekend. I'm planning on being there Sunday and a few other Kaw guys are supposed to be there too I hear. Ride it over and you'll at least get opinions if not some help. I'll be riding my dark blue Kawasaki Concours, PM me if you're coming. Here's a link:

www.cincybritishbikes.com/2007CBMCCFlyer.pdf

(Ft. Mitchel is just over the river from Cincinnati)

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
22 Sep 2007 01:09 #172135 by bushido1287
Replied by bushido1287 on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
Well I'm still very new to motorcycles and hate to say I still don't have my motorcycle license yet, and am planning to wait till spring to start paying on insurance and License. And work on the bike all winter. But for now I just need to get the bike started. Once that's done I'll be able to give more info on any problems there may be. And as for the carbs, my brother cleaned those and put them back on. He said they weren't all that dirty to begin with. And the gas line was a quick fix. So thankyou all for your help and suggestions

More
22 Sep 2007 01:10 #172136 by bushido1287
Replied by bushido1287 on topic hi from fort Mitchell, ky
Well I'm still very new to motorcycles and hate to say I still don't have my motorcycle license yet, and am planning to wait till spring to start paying on insurance and License. And work on the bike all winter. But for now I just need to get the bike started. Once that's done I'll be able to give more info on any problems there may be. And as for the carbs, my brother cleaned those and put them back on. He said they weren't all that dirty to begin with. And the gas line was a quick fix. So thankyou all for your help and suggestions