Hello from central PA!

More
20 Aug 2007 13:30 #165199 by cgray34
Replied by cgray34 on topic Hello from central PA!
Welcome to the site thetaurus. I too am new to the site and have found the knowledge tossed around here to be very helpful.

Not to far away from you, I'm located in western, Pa between Pittsburgh and Cleveland.

Actually, not far from you either Gringo, that is if you're in Akron.

Have you ever heard of Bike Night at Quaker Steak & Lube Sharon, PA?

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2007 13:33 #165200 by thetaurus
Replied by thetaurus on topic Hello from central PA!
Nope, I can't say that I have. I'm in central PA and I don't typically make it over to the western side of the state very often.

More
20 Aug 2007 13:43 #165207 by cgray34
Replied by cgray34 on topic Hello from central PA!
Understandable, I dont make it your way much either.

Anyway, I am in the process of putting a 200mm tire on my 1980 kz1000 ltd and hopefully ride it to "Bike Night" before the weather changes.

How about I blew a clutch cable on Saturday. I put on new "drag bars" two weeks ago and I made the cable too tight in the way I routed it. My father is a Kaw-Man from way back, as he laughed, he welcomed me to the modification world.

I bought a used cable set for my bike on ebay, I got every cable for my bike (used) for $50.

Welcome. Good luck on the project.

More
30 Aug 2007 10:04 #167370 by thetaurus
Just wanted to update everyone on what I found out. After looking a bit closer, we realized that there's a "non-factory" weld on the frame just below the where the forks attach. It seems that someone who owned this motorcycle previously, decided to replace the forks/front of frame with one from a KZ750B (as the stamped VIN # would indicate). Then on the motor it looks like they either grinded out (or filled in) where the VIN # was and re-stamped it to match the forks. This would explain why the one exhaust pipe says KZ750H and the VIN says KZ750B. It would also explain the year/model it is titled for, while it really is an LTD. Any thoughts on this?

More
30 Aug 2007 10:52 #167375 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hello from central PA!
thetaurus wrote:

Just wanted to update everyone on what I found out. After looking a bit closer, we realized that there's a "non-factory" weld on the frame just below the where the forks attach. It seems that someone who owned this motorcycle previously, decided to replace the forks/front of frame with one from a KZ750B (as the stamped VIN # would indicate). Then on the motor it looks like they either grinded out (or filled in) where the VIN # was and re-stamped it to match the forks. This would explain why the one exhaust pipe says KZ750H and the VIN says KZ750B. It would also explain the year/model it is titled for, while it really is an LTD. Any thoughts on this?

I'd be really sure that all my paperwork is correct and legal. There are enough inconsistancies in your VIN's that if I were a policeman (and in a bad mood) I could make your life very miserable. For example, the frame and motor numbers NEVER match on a Z1/KZ series Kawasaki...altered numbers screams 'stolen bike' to me. As I understand it, your bike is titled as a KZ750B model...and it isn't. Be careful.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
30 Aug 2007 14:38 #167412 by thetaurus
This is how the paperwork came from the dealer. I will go back to them when I have the bike running again. Thanks for the heads up.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
30 Aug 2007 16:51 #167438 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Hello from central PA!
I was pretty much thinking along the same lines as McDroid when I read your post earlier. The altered numbers are a big red flag saying possible stolen bike. That said, if you have a title that matches the frame numbers odds are pretty good that the average cop will leave you alone. Don't forget everyone around here is a heck of a lot more familiar with these old Kaws than the average cop.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
30 Aug 2007 17:22 #167443 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Hello from central PA!
thetaurus wrote:

This is how the paperwork came from the dealer....

May be a legit "salvage title" and might have some wording to that effect on the certificate. Believing most states have a special procedure for obtaining a replacement title certificate where parts from two or more "totally destroyed" motor vehicles are combined to build a complete roadworthy vehicle.

But then again, maybe someone enterprising soul decided (for whatever reason) to take a shortcut through the red tape.

Believing some - maybe most - states issue title certificates showing only the frame number as the VIN, and don't even show (or have anywhere on record) the engine serial number.

Glad to hear the paperwork came from a licensed dealer, and for that reason would be surprised to hear of any skullduggery involved. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD