running wierd out of nowhere

More
15 Aug 2007 18:51 #164165 by clutch85
running wierd out of nowhere was created by clutch85
i didnt know where to put this question so ill just put it here, i am a new member too i guess

i have a 78 kz1000 and it had been running fantastic till the other day out of nowhere it sounds more like a gurgling sound when running instead of the usual straight vrooom, it has no power and barley goes, it is almost like it s not getting gas and it is extrememly hard to start, i guess i will take to somebody but has anyone had this happen to them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Aug 2007 20:48 #164190 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic running wierd out of nowhere
first off......Welcome to KZR

Secondly..... It happens to me too, when i run out of gas :blink: what you should do is run the choke when it happens to see if it helps. Problem with these bikes they act the same way if they are lean or rich. Check your tank's inside for its condition too, you might have to clean it out along with petcock. Too be honest its probably a gas problem and you'll have to do a couple of easy diagnostic check ups to solve it.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

More
19 Aug 2007 21:53 #165023 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic running wierd out of nowhere
Also make sure your gravity feed hose from your gas tank is flowing down and not backing up against gravity or kinking. I had that problem

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
20 Aug 2007 15:24 #165227 by Z1Boise
Replied by Z1Boise on topic running wierd out of nowhere
Also check your fuel cap vent. If it finally grew over with rust, that will seal off the inside and fuel won't flow. If you're riding along and it starts to sputter, and if you lift up the fuel lid and it starts to run good again for a while, it's probably a clogged vent.

More
05 Oct 2007 17:34 #174806 by djcody
Replied by djcody on topic running wierd out of nowhere
Another thing to check is the filter on your petcock. I had a problem like yours and there was crud clogging it up and now runs smooth.

77 KZ650C airpods and 4 into 2 turn outs exhaust. VM carbs

82 550 LTD all stock except air pods