Greetings from Central Texas

More
09 Aug 2007 09:49 #162779 by Skypilot54
Greetings from Central Texas was created by Skypilot54
Greetings. A few years ago I resurrected an old VW Beetle, and since I've finished that project, I've been looking for a new place to channel my energy and get my hands dirty. I haven't been on a motorcycle in about 30 years, so I decided a two-wheeled project would be a great way to satisfy my cravings and get me back in the saddle. About a month ago I found an 82 KZ550 LTD that needed a lot of TLC (much of it was in boxes). I also picked up an identical 81 550 as a parts/donor. So in the last few weeks "FrankenBike" was born. It's complete as far as the rebuild, now it's time for the tune up and updating of some of the parts, like a new rear tire. I don't have it on the road yet (legally), but it's not too far in the future. Right now setting up the carbs is giving me fits. Patience is not usually one of my virtues, but I want this done right. When I'm not wrenching, my evenings are spent reading this forum. Great info all around.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2007 10:18 #162783 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Welcome skypilot54 (Mike)...glad you stopped by...so, 'central Texas' is pretty damned vague as a descriptor...:) whereabouts are you?

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
09 Aug 2007 11:22 #162793 by Skypilot54
Replied by Skypilot54 on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Thanks. Cedar Park, just north of Austin.

More
09 Aug 2007 11:52 #162797 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Skypilot54 wrote:

Thanks. Cedar Park, just north of Austin.

I think there are a few members in Austin, a few in San Antonio, and Wiredgeorge is just south of SA...I'm 3.5 hrs SE of you :)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
09 Aug 2007 12:48 #162810 by wiredgeorge
Replied by wiredgeorge on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Welcome... we lived out in Leander on the road to the golf course a few years ago... lived there two years. Is the steam train up and running yet? When we lived in Leander, they had taken it down for repairs and ran another antique engine on the Burnett run... Put bike info and your location in your signature. Helps when you ask a question... to put it in signature, edit profile.

wiredgeorge Motorcycle Carburetors
Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Aug 2007 12:57 #162811 by wiredgeorge
Michael - we are about 45 miles to the west and a bit north of San Antonio. Nearest large town is Lakehills and nearest town anyone has heard of is Bandera. Mico is at the southwest corner of Medina Lake and we are about 4 miles away from Mico... We live on acreage off SR1283. We are in Medina County and the only part of the county in the actual Hill Country. South of San Antonio is brush country... We have a cedar nursery and raise scorpions for pets bwhahaha

Post edited by: wiredgeorge, at: 2007/08/09 15:58

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
09 Aug 2007 17:14 #162861 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Howdy neighbor..........just up the road a piece from ya.

More
09 Aug 2007 20:02 #162895 by Skypilot54
wiredgeorge - - Crystal Falls, right? You know, I really haven't been paying much attention to the steam train this year. They were running it with a diesel locomotive for awhile, and I'm not sure if the old steamer is back on line.

arai60 - - Howdy. How far up the road? If I ever get this project on the road (darn those carbs) maybe we could hit the Hill Country. That's my goal, anyway.

More
09 Aug 2007 20:07 #162898 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Big D.....and would love to meet up with you and others in the hill country sometime. George knows those roads well.........

More
10 Aug 2007 04:47 #162965 by wiredgeorge
I think it was Crystal Falls... my understanding is that the whole road is now developed all the way out to the golf course. Have to take a ride up there and have a look one afternoon. We left before the Walmart went into CP... was told that traffic is pretty much a nightmare but that they have a toll road going into town for commuting that helps some.

Mico TX
www.wgcarbs.com
Too many bikes to list!

More
10 Aug 2007 06:40 #162993 by Skypilot54
Come on over. We'll meet for a coffe or other adult beverage. You won't recognize the area now. There's a huge hospital going up on 1431, the toll road is in, the roads have been widened, and commercial development is going nutso.

More
20 Aug 2007 19:38 #165286 by Hawk_77336
Replied by Hawk_77336 on topic Greetings from Central Texas
Welcome Skypilot54, I am new to the site myself but wanted to say hello. So you are from Crystal Falls area, I have not been in that area yet, I go to the Hill county couple times a year and Hang out in Leakey, Bandera and Kerrville a lot.

I am looking at a trip up to Llano next year and riding around your area. I like to check all the state park on when I ride and there are a few around your area. Should plan a Texas KZR ride next year. :woohoo:

If any of you are going to the Lone Star Rally this year let me know I am going to go down Thursday, Friday then go check the IMS on Saturday and then go check out all the last minute deals on Sunday back at the Lone Star Rally.