Hello world

• coffeedragon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 11:11 #155679 by coffeedragon
Hello world was created by coffeedragon
Hey everyone, I just purchased my '83 KZ550 Spectre this weekend and after about 10 minutes of Google'ing today found KZrider.com. I'm glad to have found ya'll because my bike came with a set of keys, a tank of gas and not much else so as a first time KZ owner (and first time bike owner for that matter) I've got a lot of questions. A few searches on the forms and I've already found the proper pressures for the front and rear suspension and the replacement bulb number for the turn signals ;-)

Here's a few pictures of my new toy. She's not in great shape right now but I got a great deal and the engine/drivetrain have been extensively worked over including:
  • All four carbs cleaned, two float needles replaced
  • New airbox to carb rubbers
  • New airbox to crankcase rubber
  • New fuel and vacuum lines
  • New fuel filter
  • New battery
  • 3L of new 10W40 motorcycle oil and a new oil filter and gasket
  • Clutch cable lubed
  • Front brake caliper cleaned and front disk system flushed
  • Both tires are *new*
  • Gas tank has been replaced with a used gas tank
  • Brake light switch replaced

And now for the pictures:

I purchased the bike from MPG Motors in Sellersville, PA. Pat (the owner) was extremely helpful and went over the whole bike with me, detailing all the work he had done and all the things that were left to do. He did an oustanding job of reworking the bike before selling it and I want to say many thanks to him for a great purchasing experience.

Post edited by: coffeedragon, at: 2007/07/09 14:12

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2007 11:23 #155683 by Virii
Replied by Virii on topic Hello world
Hey! Pretty, do you have a name for it, yet? ;)

Nice colour on your pipes and tank, btw.

Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

• coffeedragon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 11:39 #155684 by coffeedragon
Replied by coffeedragon on topic Hello world
I haven't named her yet, I haven't been stuck with a moment of inspiration.

As for the colors, she's a mixed bag at this point with original red fenders and side covers and a replacement gold tank. The plan is to go over the whole bike top to bottom and do everything in flat black with a dash of chrome accents here and there. I also want to swap out for some flat handlebars and figure out how to clean up the left and right controls (maybe custom fab some switches in a nicer housing).

Anyway, that's all pie in the sky. Right now, I'm just glad to have something to push the wind through my hair and bugs into my teeth.

More
09 Jul 2007 11:44 #155686 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hello world
Welcome coffeedragon...that is a 1982 year model tank, BTW. If you wish to bring the bike back towards original, watch eBay (most of us and also turned into eBay geeks) and a 1983 tank will appear eventually.:)

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• coffeedragon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 12:36 #155700 by coffeedragon
Wow, you've got quite an eye for these bikes, I didn't realize it was a different year tank. Was it just the paint change to '83 or was the profile changed as well?

More
09 Jul 2007 12:46 #155701 by floridamba
Replied by floridamba on topic Hello world
Congrats Coffeedragon. Your bike is a beauty, and I wouldn't change much more than the handlebars myself. If you decide to go flat black on everything you could probably sell those body parts on ebay for 2x what it would cost you to go black.

Is the bike shaft drive?

More
09 Jul 2007 13:24 #155712 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Hello world
Yeah, it is just a color/pattern difference, tank shape was unchanged...the model was only manufactured in 1982 and 1983. Many of us pay attention to these meaningless details 'cause there is little else going on in our lives :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• coffeedragon
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Jul 2007 15:13 #155740 by coffeedragon
Good to know about the tank, I'll keep my eyes on FleaBay. I'm already watching a speedo/tach to replace my nearly illegible units.

The bike is shaft drive. I've been looking for a bike for almost a year and my requirements were 500+ cc, shaft drive and under $1k. This one fits the bill and has just enough wrong with it that I can convince my wife that all my future "repairs" are necessary (read new paint, wheels, etc...)