Better late than never...

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
08 Jul 2007 11:08 #155459 by Scatdrat
Better late than never... was created by Scatdrat
Alright, so I have been a member for like a month or so and have yet to formally introduce myself.
Call me Marty. I have begun fulfilling my decade long dream of owning, chopping, and riding a classic bike. Back in April I bought a 1978 KZ650 SR D1A. Found out later, he is a member here also. I found yall and pulled SO MUCH usefull info on my project, THANK YOU! Well, the bike needed a few items of repair like high perf APE clutch kit w/roller bearing pushrod, complete carb rebuild kit (Z1Ent.), plugs, oil change, both sprockets, valve cover gasket, cam end plugs, exhaust collars and starter on the way. My plans are simple. Fork tubes 4"-6" over, change from 4" to 6" handlebar risers, mount forward controls, go to a single saddle seat after lowering battery box and removing last 10" of frame tail, full 180 degree steel fender (painted), custom rear brake light & turn signals, rear end lowered 2"-4" and replace rear wheel with a 16" chrome wheel. She has a Vance&Hines 4-1 exhaust on and sounds awesome but I may want to chop an old 4-2 into straight pipes just to hear it. This has been my dream ride and seeing come together is beautiful. I have put about 750 miles on her so far but I would really like to find some local KZ inthusists. Anyone here live in the NEPA or NY southern teir? I'm in Susquehanna county so I get to enjoy both states.
~Marty

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2007 12:15 #155465 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic Better late than never...
That's about as pretty of an SR that I have seen. really nice blue...when you start taking off extra parts be sure to keep me in mind! LOL:laugh: Welcome my friend

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

More
09 Jul 2007 07:54 #155634 by conpewter
Replied by conpewter on topic Better late than never...
You are so right, there's a ton of great information on this site. I love searching through all the old posts to learn from other's experience.

That is a beautiful bike, I love how nice that paint looks. Really seems like you've done a lot of work on it and it shows.

• Scatdrat
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Constructing Scat Rat out of a 78 650D SR
More
09 Jul 2007 13:26 #155713 by Scatdrat
Replied by Scatdrat on topic Better late than never...
Right on, there has got to be more KZ info in these archives than the rest of the web combined!
Thanks for the looks. I love this bike, but I can't take credit for the paint. The previous owner did it in something like 2001 Pontiac Blue. He did a great job.

Scat D Rat
'78 KZ650 D1A SR