New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-

More
26 Jun 2007 08:26 #152810 by phonex98
New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)- was created by phonex98
Hey all

So first post and first bike. Its a 1982 Kz 250 ltd. Sat in a friend of a friends garage for eons (hadn't been driven since '04) and i finally bought it and brought it home (didn't even TRY starting it.. fuel was sitting in the tank for those 2.5 yrs).

So heres where i need your help. This bike hasn't run in 2.5 yrs and i don't want to start it until i know i can safely. Im replacing the oil + filter,fuel, Air filter, Gas, battery, and probably battery grounds (Because they are rusted). Is there anything else i should replace before i try and start her ? I presume fuel filter... but im having a hard time finding it. Thanks in advance.

Justin

Post edited by: phonex98, at: 2007/06/26 11:27
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2007 08:29 #152812 by phonex98
Replied by phonex98 on topic New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2007 08:31 #152813 by phonex98
Attachments:

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
26 Jun 2007 08:57 #152825 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-
phonex98 wrote:

...This bike hasn't run in 2.5 yrs and i don't want to start it until i know i can safely. Im replacing the oil + filter,fuel, Air filter, Gas, battery, and probably battery grounds (Because they are rusted). Is there anything else i should replace before i try and start her ? I presume fuel filter... but im having a hard time finding it. Thanks in advance....

Welcome aboard!
You mean just to start it, and not to ride it, right? Because riding it would require a more comprehensive checklist.
Anyway, you're spot-on. The fuel filter that came stock on these was really just a "screen" anyway, and is in the petcock. For just starting, you're best off just getting a lawn-mower gas tank, to avoid cleaning the tank and petcock right off the bat if you're eager.
Now about the carb. From its outward appearance, it's going to need a cleaning. Fuel is likely gummed up in there, and the new fuel might not be able to flow in there. Time to get a good manual....
B)

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
26 Jun 2007 09:07 #152830 by phonex98
Wow! Thanks for the super fast reply.

At this point I just want to get it 'started'. See what running condition its in. Before i ride it i have to rebuild/replace the front forks (Leaking oil) and both tires which have been flat so long that the ply's have torn. So far all i know is that the electrical components work, which is nice.

Seems tonight ill take off the tank and petcock and get some fuel in there.... and i figured the carb would need a rebuild. I supposed ill be directed to the search key, but i found there is not many 250cc owners out there.. but is there a rebuild 'kit' for the carb?

Gonna be a good project for me as ive never had the chance to do any motor maintenance before (even in high school i took science, never auto shop). And yea, ill be ordering a good manual probably tonight! Thanks for the tips. Ill keep y'all updated! Here in B.C. shes 25 yrs old, so if i treat her nicely i can insure it as a 'collector'!

J

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
26 Jun 2007 09:43 #152839 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-
Well at least I know I'm not getting totally senile. When I saw your bike I thought to myself that has to be a later model than an 82 because it has mag wheels. Now I see you are in Canada so it makes perfect sense.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
26 Jun 2007 10:07 #152847 by phonex98
yea... the wheels are my favourite part!... and hey... you might still be senile, who knows :P

More
26 Jun 2007 17:43 #152958 by neilage66
Replied by neilage66 on topic New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-
Welcome aboard...:)

Don't forget spark plug and battery too.

Keep us posted on the ole girl. Looks like some elbow grease and a little cash and you'll have a clean running machine.

More
26 Jun 2007 18:21 #152969 by oldcoldankles
Replied by oldcoldankles on topic New old KZ 250 LTD (1982)-
Hi Justin, and welcome to the forum.:) You need to get together with Tim, one of the resident KZ250 experts around here. He rides one out of Edmonton.

Peachland BC
1981 KZ1000 CSR M1
1983 KZ550 LTD M1 (Shaft)
1989 Corvette coupe

More
26 Jun 2007 21:39 #153015 by phonex98
Hey guys... thanks for the tips, keep em coming! I recharged the battery today (we'll see how it works.. was bought 2 yrs ago, but never charged or discharged...) charged well, probably will replace soon. I pulled the plug and it looked decent, but decided to be on the safe side and get a new one... anyways, i 'blog' for a difference site, and i figured if any one want's a read, i'd post it here! Ignore anf reference that don't make sense! :)

"Day 2: Gas an' oil

9:23pm Today

Alright, we'll its day 2 of the bike project (still my brothers at this point, haven't made an offer.. i need to see how much a fork rebuild will be) Got off work today at 3:30, after a long office day, and was itching to start working on her. Stopped off at lordco on the way home to get a new plug and airfilter, but then i remembered they are idiots.. so i ended up getting nothing, relised that lordco doesn't stock any motorcycle stuff besides oil and filter, and ordered a plug which i THINK wil work. Tomorrow i will hopefully get to the kawi parts departement in burnaby and get some better parts.

So lets get to what i did! First i started by dismantling the fuel system. The petcock (sp?) caused me a shit-load of issues as i don't think its even been switched from on to reserve or off (which means yes, the carbs will need a rebuild). Eventually i had to screw out the tab and use a screwdriver to turn the notch from on to off. After that the lever loosened up and it was now barely possible to turn by hand. Propped the fuel tank on some buckets and let her drain. If anyone has some purpose for old gas.. let me know.

After getting a nice gasoline chemical peel for my hands i decided to give the bike a quick clean. Nothing but a rinse, soapy wash for any super dirty parts (such as the front forks which are cracked and leaking oil) and the tires. Just looks alot nicer. Also cleaned up the battery/fusebox covers.

When she looked clean enough for a non-running bike i decided to make some more progress towards motor life. Im ashamed to say this, but i've never actually changed oil before. So after downloading some service manual i bought online today (for $5... not a bad deal, going to print it off at work) I went to look for the oil screw and filter... turns out the manual is for Z250's - z300's... and the diagrams for the oil filter and such are for the 330! ... also discovered that bikes have a kick stand.. AND a centre stand to hold themselves level with both wheels off the ground!

So i put the bike on the centre stand got under her and loosened the oil screw.... black sludgy oil came running out; i'm glad i decided to chage it. Next i spent 15 minutes looking for the goddamn oil filter... and found it not under the bike.. but on the side! wtf.... that was the least of my concerns though because the 25year old bolts decided that that were gonna do a little strip tease for me. i managed to get two of them off.. but the 3rd stripped completely.. what the hell to do!

DREMELTIME ! busted out the ol dremel and after two separate cuttings, and busting out the biggest screw drive i have (about 2.5 ft long) i get her out! replaced the filter with few problems... went to screw it back on.... then i found a few O-rings... decided to replace those as well, then i loosely screwed the two good screws back in and left the dremeled one out. Im going to the hardware shop tomorrow too to get some new bolts.

After that i wheeled her into the garage (level surface) and filled the 1.4 required litres of oil. Cleaned up my tools, and there she'll sit until tomorrow"

Post edited by: phonex98, at: 2007/06/27 00:45
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2007 21:44 #153016 by phonex98
Attachments:

More
26 Jun 2007 21:45 #153018 by phonex98
Attachments: