my first bike and my first post

• aarons80kz650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2007 02:07 #152743 by aarons80kz650
my first bike and my first post was created by aarons80kz650
Hi All,

Great site here. I have been reading so much I think my eyeballs are about to fall out.

I'm in located in the Panhandle of Idaho.

I have a 1980 KZ650 that I purchased in 2001. It wasn't running when I got it but with a little tinkering I got it to start and run good enough to pass my riding test. Unfortunatley At the same time I started my venture into motorcycles I also started a family. My poor baby sat neglected out in the yard for the last 3 years. It's blue, and after reading the forums for a while I think its an F1. It's got 4 into 2 exhauast, I think it is original. It's got a black fairing(?I think that is what you call it?) It's got blue plastic/fiberglass saddle bags with the blinkers built in. It's got a backrest for the passanger and a chrome rack behind the backrest. The seat has a lot of stitching, I think 7 double rows the lenght of the seat and 7 single rows across the seat, also the passenger part is higher. The picture that I am attaching is after I took off the extras.

I knew it had problems when I bought it and having it sit out in the weather has made things much worse. So I threw a bunch of wrenches at it and now have a pile of parts. I am trying to take it down to a basic bike for now that does not sound like an artillery range out the back end. It has been running bad since I started it up this year, no power and loud explosions out the tailpipe. Plug #2 was fouled so I bought all new plugs, didn't help so now I have a pile of small carb pieces in the garage. I found a little gunk in them and will be cleaning them out this week. I also found the accellerator pump was shot so one is on order. I read about the whole coil power rewiring and will probably do that soon too. This might be the wrong place to ask but I just though about it. Do the spark plug splice kits work very well? My coils have the wires molded in but the connections to the boots and plugs seem pretty loose. I like the sound of the Dyna ignition but the greenbacks aren't available for that yet. In the meantime I'm trying to make it shinry. I like shiney and it only cost a little elbow grease.

Thanks for all the great info!
Aaron

Post edited by: aarons80kz650, at: 2007/06/26 05:16
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2007 03:40 #152749 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic my first bike and my first post
Welcome to the site. Great to have another KZ650 here. Your bike looks so good and so original it almost brings tears to my eyes. Well done!

If you post the first part of you VIN number, others here may be able help you nail down the model.

By the way, you may want to put your bike's year and model and your location in your signature now that you have "arrived".

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
26 Jun 2007 04:19 #152753 by barney
Replied by barney on topic my first bike and my first post
Aaron that is a nice 650. I think you are going in the right direction with the cleaning of the carbs. The backfiring and loss of power may very well be just carbs. Get em figured out before spending any money. I think you will be pleasently surprized. Welcome to KZR

More
26 Jun 2007 04:25 #152754 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic my first bike and my first post
Hey Aaron I live down in Post Falls so if you need any help let me know. Welcome to the site BTW and nice looking bike. Go up to the members tab and click on the u2u thinggy to send me a message.

Post edited by: donthekawguy, at: 2007/06/26 07:31

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
26 Jun 2007 05:32 #152770 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic my first bike and my first post
Welcome 2 da Zone Aaron!
Nice to see another 650 here.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
26 Jun 2007 06:14 - 03 Dec 2008 10:24 #152777 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 10:24 by JMKZHI.

• aarons80kz650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
26 Jun 2007 07:48 #152796 by aarons80kz650
Replied by aarons80kz650 on topic my first bike and my first post
Yeh, 3 years, I had it up for sale for a while, couple people looked at it but no takers. I'm glad I still have it.

More
26 Jun 2007 08:05 #152802 by KaZooCruiser
Replied by KaZooCruiser on topic my first bike and my first post
aarons80kz650 wrote:

Hi All,

Great site here. I have been reading so much I think my eyeballs are about to fall out.

I'm in located in the Panhandle of Idaho.

. . .At the same time I started my venture into motorcycles I also started a family. My poor baby sat neglected out in the yard for the last 3 years. It's blue . . .

No wonder the baby turned blue . . . gets cold out there on the panhandle.

Oh, my bad, . . . you meant the motorcycle.

Welcome to the site and the somewhat altered sense of humor some of us have.

:laugh:

• aarons80kz650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2007 20:31 #153312 by aarons80kz650
Manufacture date 9-79

VIN KZ650F-001550

More
27 Jun 2007 21:22 #153318 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic my first bike and my first post
Looks great in the picture. Throw a new seat cover on there and ride.:)

• aarons80kz650
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
27 Jun 2007 22:12 #153325 by aarons80kz650
I'm taking the seat in on July 9th to get it recovered at a local upholstery shop. I think I will have them just rebuild it with the same stitching.
Attachments:

More
27 Jun 2007 22:18 #153327 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic my first bike and my first post
Sure, that will work. Or you can have them build whatever style of seat you want on your pan. Your seat looks pretty custom to me. On original seats you can usually order a original style seat cover for a relatively low price. If you have someone try and replicate your seat cover with hand stitching etc, it will probably get really expensive. Who am I to talk though, I always blow a big wad on projects like that.

Have fun.