Should I Buy It?

More
06 Jun 2007 07:23 #146832 by fishybass
Should I Buy It? was created by fishybass
Hi Guys and Gals,

I am considering investing $100 in a 1980 KZ 550 A1. It would be my first bike.
I want your advice… should I buy it?
In general it is in beautiful shape, everything original, except for an inline fuel filter that was added after the tank, because the carbs were always clogging. I trust the seller.
It has been garaged most of it’s life, dumped once by a newbie with only minor scratches on the tank (will probably be dumped again by me). It is beautiful. Has about 24000 miles on it. Turns over nicely, sounds good when turning over. No electrical issues. I am a pretty good car mechanic, but have not worked on bikes. But, I want to work on bikes, and am sure I would enjoy it. Nonetheless, I don't have a lot of money (maybe $500) to put into this bike.

Here are the things that I know I will be doing soon, if I buy it...
New tires
Carbs cleaned
Oh, there are these 2” rubber hoses that run from the airbox to the carbs… they are all cracked up… does anyone how what these are called so I can get replacement parts?
Good overall general tune-up

Now for the mystery…
I have not heard it… but the seller states that he stopped driving it when a tinking sound popped up by the transmission/engine. It only makes this tinking sound while it is moving. But at this point it still seems to drive okay. He is not sure what it is… and that noise is why he is selling it for so cheap… cause he knows I will be putting money into it (and his wife wants him to sell it because it is just taking up space in the garage). He has not had the time to work on it, but he did take a look at the cam tensioner and that was fine.

These things immediately makes me think transmission or clutch. It sounds like clutch fixes are relatively easy… how are transmissions?
I read Clymer, and it doesn’t sound too bad, but reading and doing are two different things. I think I am going to have a hell of a time diagnosing something that only happens when it moves, considering this is my first bike.

Are there any other common things that happen with this era of KZ that I should really consider looking into before or after I pull the clutch apart?
But, at the end of the day... does this bike sound worth it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
06 Jun 2007 07:42 #146839 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Should I Buy It?
For $100 I wouldn't even hesitate to get it. The 550's are pretty nice little bikes that pack a surprising punch. Worst case scenario you can always part it out on Ebay and make some money. The air cleaner hoses can be purchased from Z-1 Enterprises IIRC they run about $40 for the set. The only weak link on the 550's are the Tekei carbs, you are limited as to what you can find for replacement jets and such but as I understand main jets from certain Keihin carbs will work. If you keep it stock that won't really be an issue though. I've got 4 550's laying around here and ton's of spares so if you get the bike and need something chances are pretty good I'll have it.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
06 Jun 2007 08:22 #146851 by kzwolfsr
Replied by kzwolfsr on topic Should I Buy It?
I would of added that to my collection in 5 seconds! And I have to say, that bike came around at a perfect time for a beginner like you. Get it!

1979 KZ SR650, stock candy persimmon red and crossover pipes
1981 KZ 1000LTD with non stock and more comfortable handle bars and 4 into one V&H
Original man of the Caribbean

More
06 Jun 2007 10:02 #146874 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic Should I Buy It?
Yeah, I'm almost feeling stupid for asking... the risk is so low. And damn is it pretty. I might have to lose the windjammer and the seat cause the barebones KZ's I see on here are rad. The 80's pin striping... I'm not such a fan of... so my bike might get a paint job soon. Any first thoughts on the tinking sound happening only while it moves, other than the clutch?

More
06 Jun 2007 15:01 #146944 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Should I Buy It?
Could be anything really. Start by checking every bolt and nut on the engine, then the frame, concentrating from where you think the sound might be emanating from, then work your way out in both directions. Find a hill, kill the engine, and coast down. Still there? Might give you a better idea where it is coming from. If all else fails, then go to the internal stuff. Just start with the simple stuff first. No need to overhaul an engine because you have a loose bolt on your foot-peg, if you get my drift. ;) B)

(I almost forgot. Welcome! Got some pics? We love pics! :laugh: )

Post edited by: dkmk, at: 2007/06/06 18:09

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
06 Jun 2007 19:19 #147015 by fishybass
Replied by fishybass on topic Should I Buy It?
Good point. I may want to overhaul the engine... but maybe that should wait until I have to. As they say, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

I'll put up pictures once the bike is mine.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
06 Jun 2007 20:02 #147035 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Should I Buy It?
$100?
Go for it bud! B)

If the chain has a stiff spot in it, that stiff spot will make a "click" as it goes around the smaller front sprocket. That would be the easiest to check.

If the bike still has the center stand, place it on it and spin the rear wheel slowly while feeling the chain for stiff spots.
Mark any stiff spots with a light dab of paint or White-Out (let it dry of course), or scratch the side of that link with something, then rotate the chain and see if it clicks when the marked portion(s) go towards the front sprocket.

If it doesn't click that way, start the bike up and put it into 1st gear, then slowly let the clutch lever out and allow the wheel to turn on its own while again listening for the click.
Being a mechanic, I'm sure you already know the old trick of using a screwdriver as a make-shift stethescope to locate odd engine noises. ;)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ