Looking for some info

More
31 May 2007 11:55 #145245 by ocsurfer32
Looking for some info was created by ocsurfer32
How's it going. Just found this site!! Had a 1977 kz 650 in high school in 1980, my buddy still has the bike. Later on i had a 1973 Z1 that got away from me when my 1st child was born 12 years ago ( should have kept it for sure) But now i am back and just purchased A 1978 KZ 1000 that has been rebuilt frame up by a guy my buddy knows. Bike is clean as new with couple mods done to it. Extended swing arm,V&H pipe but basically stock. Motor is a little rough on the take offs and low end but seems tight powered up. Checked the plugs and they are black,too rich i think? Starts right up, idles fine just seems to want to hesitate and stall. Any help greatly appriciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2007 12:09 #145256 by speedadict
Replied by speedadict on topic Looking for some info
If the bike has been sitting awhile, I would bet the carbs are the issue. Almost every bike that I get, I pull the carbs off right away and clean them. Carbs are almost always the problem on all old bikes. Dump a can of sea foam in the tank, and if after that tank it still runs bad, pull the carbs and go through um...

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
01 Jun 2007 15:51 #145551 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Looking for some info
ocsurfer32 wrote:

But now i am back and just purchased A 1978 KZ 1000 that has been rebuilt frame up by a guy my buddy knows. Bike is clean as new with couple mods done to it. Extended swing arm,V&H pipe but basically stock. Motor is a little rough on the take offs and low end but seems tight powered up. Checked the plugs and they are black,too rich i think? Starts right up, idles fine just seems to want to hesitate and stall. Any help greatly appriciated.

That pipe and the extended swing arm would indicate to me that the PO probably did some carb mods to the jets. Does it have pods or what? I'd pull the carbs, then check the bowls for gunk. If gunky then clean them, it's time consuming but not hard.

Check the main and pilot jet size, post what you find along with what carbs it has on it now. If your willing to check it too, see what notch the needle valve clip is in.

Word to the wise, watch taking the twisties too aggressive on the right handers with the V&H as they tend to drag. Didn't say how much over your arm is but check the chain and sprockets for wear before really riding this bike hard, chain breaks on over extended arms are not going to end well for the rider most times than not.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)

More
01 Jun 2007 15:52 #145552 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Looking for some info
You also might want to upgrade the ignition system and check the valve clearances and compression. My 78 gave me fits for a couple of years until I found out my compression was low.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

• KZ_Rage
  • User
  • Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale
More
01 Jun 2007 17:52 #145582 by KZ_Rage
Replied by KZ_Rage on topic Looking for some info
Don's right, just because he did a lot to the outside doesn't mean he checked the compression or valves first to see if those needed addressed. Start with the carbs then perform a compression and/or leak down test.

1979 KZ1000E1 SOLD!
1984 KZ550F2 SOLD!
2006 ZG1000A6F (Totaled)
2001 ZRX1200R (Sold)
2001 Sprint 955i ST (daily rider)