Howdy!

More
25 May 2007 06:33 #143359 by arcaidy
Howdy! was created by arcaidy
I’ve been lurking for the past couple weeks and decided to join up. I recently purchased an 81 KZ750 LTD. There seems to be a good bit of knowledge on this site.

I’m in the process of fixing/replacing a few things on the bike. Had to replace the chain, sprockets, and swing arm needle bearings. There was nothing left but the outer casing on the left side of the swing arm… Carb’s were really gummed up and need a rebuild, but a cleaning helped tremendously.

I just started having a spark issue that comes and goes. The left coil dies, but then comes back. Happens randomly and not very often right now which kind of makes me think it’s possibly a short or wire issue somewhere. I’ve seen the coil mod mentioned a few times and plan to put that in place and see if it helps. The odd thing is it usually clears itself up at higher (5k +) RPM’s and under no load. (Weak spark?) :huh:

Another curiosity was the compression test. Cylinders 1 & 2 are 150 lbs and 3 & 4 are 130lbs. Are there any known lubrication issues with 3 &4??

I’ll probably be asking a bunch of questions in the near future. The bike needs a few things and the projects here have peaked my interest. I currently ride the bike daily when weather permits back and forth to work. Averaging around 45mpg, I can’t afford not to!

I’m in the Atlanta area.

Thanks!
James

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2007 06:39 #143360 by arcaidy
Replied by arcaidy on topic Howdy!
Damn...
First post and I already screwed up by posting in the wrong forum. :blush:
Maybe a Moderator can move it?

More
25 May 2007 07:55 #143366 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Howdy!
Welcome abroad arcaidy! Got the xact same ride, actually 2 of 'em. One's in the process of gettin' all hacked up and the other is pretty stock. They're a great bike! B) B) B)
First thing you'll need to do is get a shop manual. You may be able to download one around here somewhere.
I mean the first thing you'll need to do is post some pics of 'er so the natives around here don't get restless. And throw your bike and location in your sig line. Might be someone nearby who can help ya out.
Cheers.

More
25 May 2007 08:26 #143377 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic Howdy!
Welcome James!B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
25 May 2007 08:34 #143379 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Howdy!
welcome:)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
25 May 2007 08:40 #143383 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Howdy!
velcome

make sure yo put your location and bike (s) in your signature.

its in edit profile.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• wireman
  • Visitor
25 May 2007 08:58 #143389 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Howdy!
welcome to z-jungle;)

More
25 May 2007 10:47 #143427 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Howdy!
Welcome aboard!

I doubt it's a lubrication as much as a valve clearance issue. There may also be some carbon buildup in the higher reading cylinders due to a difference in carb adjustments.

Don't panic. These bikes often require some long neglected maintence and we're here to help.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )