85 ZN700LTD Project

More
22 Dec 2005 18:20 #14160 by ZN700LTD
85 ZN700LTD Project was created by ZN700LTD
Hi all,
I'm a 50 yr old female, returning rider, used to have a bike 20+ yrs ago.

I just bought an 85 ZN700Ltd in honor of my midlife crisis.

Don't know yet if it was a TOTAL mistake or just a partial mistake:unsure:.

It reminds me a bit of the Johnny Cash song "One Piece at a Time". It's got K1000 side covers, the exhaust has been altered to 4 into 1, and I haven't gone thru it enough to know what all else.

The tag on the stem (is that what you call it on a motorbike?) says '84 and the title says it was bought new as an 87 :blink:.

So, any place that you can direct me to that could tell me what parts are what year or what model they might belong to would be greatly appreciated. I have an 85 Kawi service manual that's got a picture that would seem to indicate that this is an 85 700LTD except for the exhaust. I used to maintain my cars (before the computer stuff made it too expensive) but have no bike repair experience.

Condition?: Once the battery's charged, it runs fine for about 20 minutes then engine dies and the battery is flat and has to be recharged- so I'm guessing that's where this project's going to start. I'll be visiting the Electrical forum soon :lol:.

Pictures TBA.

This seems like a friendly site for wannabe gearheads, I'll try to do the research before I ask questions :whistle:.

ZN700Ltd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Dec 2005 18:59 #14167 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
Welcome to KZR.

Being built in '84 should make her an '85 model. Exhausts get changed all the time, so you can't judge by the look of that. Side covers can swap or be modified between some models as well.

Sounds like you have a Generator or Rectifier problem with the Electrical System. Check through your manual and look for the way you would test all the related parts to the charging system.

Good luck with the new to you ride.
Have fun and ride safely. B)

Post edited by: rstnick, at: 2005/12/22 22:12

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
22 Dec 2005 20:33 #14178 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
I'd also like to welcome you to the site..................welcome! :)

Although I claim to be no expert, I might be able to shed a bit more light for you on your bike since I myself own an '84 model ZN700LTD that I've been restoring over the past few years.

The ZN700 was but one of many bikes built by Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, etc, in the mid-80's in an effort to beat the tariff imposed on bikes 750cc and larger, and appropriately earned the nick-name of "the tariff busters".

Kawi built 4 diff sizes of the ZN models; the ZN700, ZN750, ZN1100 and ZN1300.
The 700, 750 and 1100 models were basically an inline-4 air cooled KZ engine ('86 models being the last of any TRUE air cooled KZ engines offered in the U.S.A.) placed into a bike with more of a "cruiser/chopper" type of appearance.
The ZN1300 was a water cooled inline-6 engine, and was more of a touring bike (full fairing, saddlebags, etc).
If you have the opportunity, compare an '85 VN700 Vulcan or '86 VN750 Vulcan to your ZN700, and you will notice quite a few similarities in the way they are styled. Although the ZN700 has more ground clearance, a slightly larger fuel tank, more HP and a higher top speed than the VN700 and VN750's do. Heck, my wifes '96 VN750 Vulcan sitting next to my '84 ZN700 appears almost identical at a quick glance!

The ZN700 was built in '84 and '85 only, and aside from the engine (which is basically just an enlarged KZ650 engine), almost everything else on the bike is a "one-up" part. Meaning that MOST parts fit this bike and ONLY this bike = not impossible, but certainly not an easy task in finding replacement parts. :(
I've found eBay to be a good source in finding parts, but they don't pop up there quite as often as parts for KZ models do. In fact, I've recently seen a couple of different sellers on eBay offering the correct side covers for your bike if you're interested.

Sorry for being so long winded, but I tend to be over-explanative sometimes. :whistle:

What ever other questions you have, fire away!
We're all here and willing to help. :)

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
22 Dec 2005 20:36 #14179 by GargantuChet
Replied by GargantuChet on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
Welcome to KZR!

If you're searching past posts, don't forget to check out the archives from the old site. There's a *ton* of old discussion that you won't see using the normal search.

Don't be afraid to ask questions either, we're a friendly sort. There are tons of experienced wrenchers around.

And if you have a digital camera, we love seeing pictures of bikes no matter what their condition!

More
23 Dec 2005 13:10 #14295 by ZN700LTD
Replied by ZN700LTD on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
Thank you rstnick for verifying the year for me.

Thank you R4 for ALL the explanation, I'd rather have too much info than not enough.

Thank you GargantuChet for recommending the archives.

The back of the rectifier is melted, so it will be interesting to see what's up with the stator. :(

I'll be going to the correct sub-forum with the technical questions, but I have a general question now:

What's the difference between a KZ and a ZN? Is it just looks? Or were there other mods?
And, since I've got a ZN can I still hang out? Or do I have to get a KZ also? ;)

ZN700LTD

More
23 Dec 2005 14:27 #14303 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
Sounds like you need a replacement regulator/rectifier - I would try to get a used RR and replace the burnt out unit before chasing other problems. Replacing the RR should be easy and, if you can find a second hand unit, cheap. If you have to pay a shop to do the work and also pay for a new RR, then I would suggest some more fault finding prior to risking money for shop time and destroying a new part.

For the time being, try not to keep running the bike without the RR working as the battery won't survive. Since the battery has probably been overcharged it may have been boiled dry, so it's a good idea to make sure the battery fluid is at the right level. Once you've replaced the RR you can use a meter to check that the battery is getting around 13.5 volts when the engine is running at around 2,000 rpm and up. Once you start dealing with these issues, like GargantuChet mentioned, there is a lot of relevant information in the archives.

More
23 Dec 2005 14:36 #14305 by jenshhj
Replied by jenshhj on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
One more thing, this is not "advice", but it's what I would do if I was not able to check the battery voltage with a meter and had a cheap replacement RR:

1. remove battery,
2. check the battery fluid - top up as necessary
3. install new RR,
4. reconnect battery
5. start the bike and see if there is any smoke from the RR - if no smoke, then
A. ride the bike close to home with the lights on for about 20 mins,
B. return home and turn the bike off, then try to restart it again.

If it starts again then all that was wrong was probably the RR.

OK, bring on the flack, but just remember - this was not advice;)

More
23 Dec 2005 15:06 #14309 by GargantuChet
It's probably best to ask specific questions over in the appropriate forum, but I will mention that the service manual procedures for testing a reg/rec WILL get you into trouble. Meaning, even a good reg/rec will probably not pass the book's procedure because modern voltmeters don't throw quite as much juice as the old ones, and the reg/rec won't respond to modern test equipment the way it did when Clymer wrote the books.

That's more in case you find a used one to put on the bike. Just be sure to test voltage levels on the bike, with the bike running, as opposed to pulling the reg/rec off, testing per Clymer's instructions, and assuming that it's no good.

Okie, 'nuff tech discussion in this forum from me. Feel free to ask around for help on the tech forums.

More
23 Dec 2005 19:01 #14349 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic 85 ZN700LTD Project
Welcome, I have some zn parts in my shop. I think all i have is a set of stock exhaust,rear wheel and tire,and air box. I'll check but i'm quite sure that is all i have.
You can go to the kawasaki site and cross refrence parts before you go parts shopping and get a broader range of bike that the electrics might swap. Ride safe. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
30 Dec 2005 09:41 #15221 by ZN700LTD
I have another sort of general question.
I got the Kawasaki service manual for the bike, but would also like to get an aftermarket manual (I'd like more pictures).
The Kawi manual is a for a ZX750 and includes a part on the differences in the ZN700, does anyone know if the ZX750 manual by Clymer is the same way and includes the ZN700 at the end. I haven't found a manual for this specific bike, and don't know if there was ever a separate one in print.

Thanks for your help :)

ZN700LTD

More
30 Dec 2005 12:42 #15257 by GargantuChet
Stop over and ask this in the chit-chat forum, as it's likely that most members don't check this one as regularly.

And it's best to create new threads for new questions -- it makes it easier to find stuff in the archive later.

Not nagging or anything, but your chances of getting answers are much greater if you post in the right forum. ;)

G'luck!

More
30 Dec 2005 13:26 #15275 by ZN700LTD
Thanks Chet, will do.
ZN