Great to be aboard

More
04 May 2007 19:39 #137184 by codetonic
Great to be aboard was created by codetonic
I've been a member for less than 24 hours and you guys have already helped me solve several problems.

Thanks, thanks, thanks.

My buddies are planning a trip to Sturgis this year.
How do you think the KZ1000P will go over? :blink:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 May 2007 19:46 #137189 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Great to be aboard
From I've read, you'll do just fine. I've never been there myself, but I understand just about anything and everything shows up.

Welcome aboard and glad we could help!

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 May 2007 20:09 #137207 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic Great to be aboard
codetonic wrote:

My buddies are planning a trip to Sturgis this year.
How do you think the KZ1000P will go over? :blink:

Nada problem. ;)

Most will like it and want to look'er over. You'll take a little good-natured ribbing here and there, but all in good fun. Anybody that really lips off ain't worth paying attention to - usually the type that's decked out in full black leather, chaps and chains included on one of them 90+ degree South Dakota days - the typical *poser* type the rest of the crowd pretty much ignores anyways.

Actually, the worst troublemakers are by and large the rent-a-cops they import from all over west of the Missisippi to look hard and make sure there's no beer in the streets. Expect roadblocks and checkpoints on the major drags out of town - trolling for DUIs - they wrote upwards of 500 I heered last I paid attention.

Unless you've already got reservations at a hotel or campground near town, forget it.

If you're into camping and it's still there, I'd recommend the Buffalo Chip Campground about 5 miles east of town. Matter of fact, last time I was there I don't think I spent more than an hour downtown - too crowded, too expensive, too many cops with too much attitude - just stayed at the 'Chip and partied.

From down around Rapid City to north of Sturgis itself, you can usually expect a thunderstorm to pop up in the afternoons - winds getting kicked up over the back side of the Black Hills.

Best day to grab trinkets and such is the official "day after" when the vendors are breaking down.

Check out Deadwood. Unless you haven't been there, skip Mt Rushmore - it's a tourist pit. The Crazy Horse Monument is a better deal all the way around. *Definitely* put some miles on in the Black Hills - really pretty territory.

Have fun. ;)

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 May 2007 20:49 #137221 by Pterosaur
Oh yeah - another HOT tip:

Don't know how far or how you plan to get there - but *especially* if you're riding, do ALL of your maintenence-related issues beforehand.

And I mean *ALL*.

Patially because - as you'll find out - about 3 to 400 miles out in every direction, you'll start to see dead bikes by the side of the road. Saw one poor bastard on a rat '78 Super Glide blow past me on I-80; only thing rattier than the bike was him, the only thing rattier than him was what I guess was the broad packin' behind him. Pulled into a CONOCO station 10 miles ahead, and there's that rat Super Glide, a can of oil beside it, an expanding puddle underneath it, and that poor bastard kicking it - blown rod and all. :whistle:

Partially because once you get there, you can burn up a motor idling and duckwalking through traffic to get to where you *might* find a part. There's a Harley Dealer in town, and they won't have time to even talk to you due to the land-rush maintenence line extending out of sight down the street looking for belts, tires, oil lines, you name it.

Change your oil before you leave, carry a spare quart, change your chain, sprockets, take care of any electrical issues, carry spare fuses and any tools and items you need to make fixes on the fly and a can or two of "Fix-A-Flat".

Need any or none of that stuff - you'll be glad you had it. ;)

More
04 May 2007 20:52 #137222 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Great to be aboard
Agreed, what he said. Of course you can also make sure that your insurance covers a few free tows a year. Haa.

More
04 May 2007 21:13 #137226 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Great to be aboard
Pterosaur wrote:

Need any or none of that stuff - you'll be glad you had it. ;)

And so will anybody who you might lend a hand to... :)

Good advice PT!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
04 May 2007 21:13 #137227 by Pterosaur
austin3119 wrote:

Agreed, what he said. Of course you can also make sure that your insurance covers a few free tows a year. Haa.

True enough - but at critical times and strategic places - try getting one. :ohmy: From anywhere the other side of Rapid City to Sturgis and pretty much all the way to Sundance, Wyoming - if you need a tow, I hope you brought a book to read - 'cuz you're gonna wait. :whistle:

And one last thing, speaking of insurance and the like: keep your head on a swivel in traffic while out and about - not uncommon for 10,000 bikes to be heading one way or another around there, and MAYBE %10 of 'em have a clue what they're doing - and a fair percentage are just downright dangerous.

One year, I was heading back towards Sturgis from Deadwood, come around a curve and there's a *BUNCH* of bikes scattered all over the road, people holding their heads and one of 'em was dead. Two groups of bikes going opposite directions, narrow rode, one went wide and meat ensued.

Stay out of gaggles with people you don't know, travel at off times, and keep your eyes peeled - you can bet somebody else in the crowd won't be....