Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:11 #127872

• Slevin
  • Slevin's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
hi guys, i kind of randomly came across this website while looking up somemore information on motorcycles.

i have never owned a motorcycle nor rode one before...im really interested in riding one though and i really love the older 1980's japanese bikes the most. the kind of cafe racer look is definitely a plus. im from reno, nv and go to school here. i enjoy greaseballing, but mostly with mazda miatas.... lol. but with my new found love to get a bike i would definitely like to buy an older bike i could work on and ride.

some of the bikes i've been looking around at in the sf,sac, and reno are are here from craigslist

sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/304729347.html

reno.craigslist.org/mcy/306306887.html

reno.craigslist.org/mcy/305787071.html

sacramento.craigslist.org/mcy/307258838.html

one of them is pretty pricey, im honestly not looking to spend more then like $500 on a bike to work on...insurance might kill me because im only 22...

well any recommendations and advice is greatly appreciated, thanks again = )

Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:22 #127874

• wireman
  • Visitor
welcome to z-jungle;) id say start with the smallest bike you can lay your hands on and ride the wheels off of it till you are ready for something a little bigger;)

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:28 #127879

• Slevin
  • User
yea i was kind of thinking the same thing. whats the smallest the kz's came in ? 450 or 400 ?

Scott

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:30 #127883

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Welcome to KZr Scott!

The price on that first bike ('85 GPz550) is right about in line for it. Although I'd offer him $500 to start with, since he states there's some work needing to be done to get it reliable and streetworthy.

Those last 3 bikes I wouldn't even go look at, as they're way out of line in pricing.

There's another member here ( Corey Clough ) who owns a couple of '85 GPz550's, is into racing Mazdas, and is in the San Fran area. Shoot him an email or PM and see if he might be able to tag along with you on a bike hunting excursion to give you a heads-up if a particular bike is worth it's asking price or not.

Even though it runs about $200 for the 3-day course, you might want to consider checking into registering for the MSF course for training on what to do, and what not to do while riding your bike. :)
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:32 #127886

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
  • Thank you received: 29
Slevin wrote:

yea i was kind of thinking the same thing. whats the smallest the kz's came in ? 450 or 400 ?

Scott

In the US, IIRC it was the KZ200, but there really aren't a lot of them out there.
A KZ400/440 or even a KZ550 are perfect for starter bikes.
Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 19:53 #127912

• Slevin
  • User
awesome guys, thanks for all the information. talking with you guys is proving very helpful in my quest to start riding a motorcycle = )

another few questions though. is there a huge difference in a GPZ and a KZ ?

Scott

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 08 Apr 2007 20:09 #127931

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Heeeeeer's Johnny!!! :woohoo:

For your first bike, you'll want something that is at least running, and then you can fine tune from there, depending on your mechanical aptitude. I aquired my '85 GPz550, after my oldest brother passed away. It was all there, and after sitting for 4 years, I cleaned the carbs, installed a Stage 3 K&N Jet Kit, cleaned the filters, changed the oil and filter, and spark plugs, bought a new battery, and it fired right up. It's the smallest bike I'd ride on the freeway, so I wouldn't recommend getting anything smaller. Not that I'm promoting the bike, but if it's your first, you'll like it till you outgrow it, and want a bigger one. If you sell it to get another, you, like so many others, will always remember it. Parts are still available from Kawasaki, and come up for sale on ebay as well. The '81's are the first year, and very desireable, but scarce in parts. '82-'83 are the years that are being vintage raced. '84-'86 are the last years, and have more power. Loads of aftermarket parts are still out there, and another site that some here frequent is www.gpz550.com

It's basically your choice on a buy, Remember, everyone out there has the latest "crotch rocket" so riding an old school one like this would be easier to work on.

Good luck on your choice, and welcome to KZrider.com stay as long as you like.
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 09 Apr 2007 09:19 #128088

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
  • Thank you received: 80
Here's one for sale at a good price too.

sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/mcy/308506248.html
'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

---- 09 Apr 2007 10:27 #128106

• H1Vindicator
  • User
  • Thank you received: 45
----

Last edit: by H1Vindicator.

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 10 Apr 2007 20:52 #128694

• Slevin
  • User
hey guys, heres a local bike... what do ya think about it ? also a question about bike parts. how much goes into making a bike look like a cafe racer ? will it b doable for this bike ?

reno.craigslist.org/mcy/288386039.html

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 11 Apr 2007 11:28 #128827

• apeman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
That's a KZ750H, made fromm 1980-83. That is a good candidate to make into a cafe bike. It is a plus that the bike in your ad has new tires and battery. If it is running, that is a very nice price.

I am working on a streetfighter/cafe/hotrod KZ750H right now. Actually, I have been working on it for years, but since I have two other working bikes, I have not been in a big hurry on the last one. But this summer, I will get it on the road, I promise.

The KZ750H, E and L models are all great bikes. The four cylinder engines are smooth and powerful, and they are not too heavy, even for a beginner. My son (also age 22) is using one of mine as a learner bike, and has no difficulty with it at all. He is a very big, strong guy (rugby player -- weighs about 230# and bench presses 360#), so his experience may not be typical, especially if you are a skinney guy (like I was at that age).

I second the need for a MSF begining rider course. My son took it when he was seventeen, but is just now getting back into the details of geting his motrocycle endorsement. I took the course with him, just for grins (I have been riding for over 40 years, but was absent for a period of time while my kids were growing up). The course is truly necessary, very interesting, and fun. If you hold a California drivers license, at your age it is required in order to get the motorcycle endorsement.

Welcome!
/
Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.

Hi everyone ! New to bikes. 11 Apr 2007 11:40 #128829

• pyxen
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
These old bikes are awesome to work on.. I've loved every second working on my 550.. I'd rather have been riding it, but hey - whatcha gonna do?

Here's a great example of the work that can be done if you've got the patience, and the skill to type in that little 'search forum' box at the top of the page here..

kzrider.com/component/option,com_joomlab...11/id,102910/#102910

Davo killed 'er, so he sold it and sailed away on a nice boat..but it's a great transformation.

Call around for quotes on insurance *BEFORE* buying a bike though.. don't need to make a purchase and then find out that it'll cost you an arm and a leg. The GPz is most definitely a sport bike.. the birth of the Ninja. A KZ will be easier to insure at a reasonable rate..but you likely won't get too much trouble with a 'small four' as they call 'em.
84 KZ550-F2 LTD
93 ZR550-B4

• Page: