Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 20:14 #119109

• drewski
  • drewski's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
:cheer: HELLO! everyone,Please be patient with me, as I am new to this forum, Actually my second time on a forum. First things first! I am the owner of 3 kawi's, 1978/1979 LTD 1000,1980 z-1 classic 1000g. I just aquired the z-1 a couple of weeks ago, It has been in storage for 18+ yrs, it has 15,000 original mi on it. It's in great shape, needs a little TLC. there are a few things that need to be addressed first b-4 i try to fire it up. I would like to know if you can put an earlier style valve cover on it? like the non emmission cover w/out the air tubes.I would like to do this if i can w/out any problems, Will this not let the bike run like it should. thank you, Andy Moore.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 20:25 #119112

• wireman
  • Visitor
you can use the older style valve cover,youll just need to plug the smog ports in top of head;)

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 20:49 #119122

• drewski
  • User
thank you for replying to my post! by plugging the port! do you mean putting a plate or welding something to the head, I am a welder and am able to weld aluminum, so i could fab a piece and weld it if needed. thanks Andy.

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 21:13 #119127

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
We would love to see some pictures of your bike when you have a chance. It sounds like you have a nice collection.B)

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 22:14 #119135

• drewski
  • User
I will try to get some pics as soon as i can, this is all new to me, My 78 is in the restoration process as we speak, There is a story to this particular bike, it's kind of a long story, should only to be told over the phone, the moral of the story is! my brother owned this bike 27 yrs ago, he had it for approx 3 yrs, i was a 14 yrs old then, it was a very fast bike back then,he had some headwork done to it/bigger carbs/kerker/etc. I would take it out and ride it around when my brother was @ wrk, he'd get p___ed off @ me and threatend to kick my butt! never did though. Dad was a cop!! GO FIGURE! LOL. he got married and sold the bike, which i dont think he wanted to, anyway, Not having any info on this bike as in vin# or registration, I had been searching for this bike since 1984. My father passed away 2 yrs ago, as i was searchin through some papers, I found an old registration of this same bike, I was elated!! finally!!!! I did some research and found the bike to be in salem oregon, with out going to great detail, I found the owner, he said why don't you buy it from me, I said okay!!!! but how much??? he said how about $500.00 bucks, I bought it basically on the spot, I am restoring it to better than new cond, powedercoat frame, new paint, 1075 kit,etc. The bike was faster than i expected! b-4 i tore it apart. I finally know the history of it, and where it's been for the last 23 yrs, My brother does not know that i own it. I am going to give it to him as a gift from his brother. when the bike is done i will put it on this site. maybe he won't be mad @ me anymore LOL. I will post my other 2 bikes as soon as i get some better pics, thanks andy

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 22:18 #119136

• austin3119
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
You're like the nicest brother ever. Have fun with the restoration. I get more excited sometimes working on my bike than actually riding it. Ok, maybe not but close...B)

valve cover 10 Mar 2007 22:38 #119141

• drewski
  • User
yeah! I try to be a nice brother, the funny thing is, that we did'nt fight like some brothers do. maybe cause it because dad was a cop, and we knew we were going to get out butt kicked by dad when he got home, LOL. beings that i could'nt find my brothers bike like i wanted to, I went out and found my own LTD 1000 about 2 1/2 yrs ago, it is my 1980, it is a nice bike, but not nearly as fast as the 78! What's up with that, anyway I really like kawi's LTD 1000's, I think they are a nice bike, especially when there all cleaned up and running good. I get a lot of compliments on my '80, Hopefully i will get the same with my z-1 I have tried to enclose a pic of z-1, I don't know if it will be posted, let me know if it appears would you? thanks Andy

valve cover 11 Mar 2007 05:55 #119160

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
  • Thank you received: 11
Welcome to the board. It sounds like you have quite a nice collection started. I too have always liked the LTD 1000's and currently own an 80 Z1 Classic. There are a couple of other Z1 Classic owners on this board as well. If your bike is as nice as it sounds you might want to rethink doing anything permanent like welding on the heads. They only made 3200 of these to begin with and there are not too many survivors that still retain the fuel injection as many have been converted over to carbs.
Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

valve cover 11 Mar 2007 09:59 #119220

• drewski
  • User
I think your right! I will leave the bike untouched considering it only has 15,000 mi on it, I'm just that kind of gearhead that likes to keep things looking clean and sanitary- unobsrtucted, I would like to know more about these bikes as well also. Are these bikes considered collectable? oldkawman on e-bay said that there was 1000's of these bikes produced,hmmmm! is that true? he also mentioned that i need to change over to carbs, as to get rid of any running problems that i might encounter w/fuel inj.I don't have any intentions in doing that, It was a good running bike when it came in to the owner that i bought it off of 18 yrs ago.like i said earlier, it just needs a few things looked over b-4 i put fire to it.Anyway this is nice to be able to talk to fellow bike friends, I will be joining in as time goes on. I don't want to be a forum hog.I will be logging on @ night usually around 8 to 9:00 pm pst. I live in longview wash and work in portland ore, I have a 2+ hr roundtrip commute ea day, so get home around 7 every nite, thanks Andy

valve cover 11 Mar 2007 10:00 #119221

• drewski
  • User
I just relized that this thread appeared twice. So i modified it. I don't know what happened.

Post edited by: drewski, at: 2007/03/11 13:04

valve cover 11 Mar 2007 11:34 #119236

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278
You retrieved the bike from Salem Oregon.

Where do you live?

It would help if you put you location in your sig line. You could list your bikes there as well.

KZCSI
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

valve cover 11 Mar 2007 16:33 #119282

• drewski
  • User
hello kzcsi, yes! I bought it in salem a yr or so ago, I live in longview wash,I don't know what you mean by putting my location in my sig line, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks Andy

• Page: