New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
18 Dec 2006 10:48 #100294 by sheik*yerbouti
Replied by sheik*yerbouti on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...

SHOE48
I think that is my old 1000 I sold non running just before I moved this summer .. Good to see it being Fixed up ..

are you perhaps David C or Barry R?

Those are the last two names on the title.

If so that is too cool! I'd love to ask you some basic questions about this particular bike and it's past.

Thanks shoe!

Post edited by: sheik*yerbouti, at: 2006/12/18 13:50

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Dec 2006 12:10 #100306 by bullitt
Replied by bullitt on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
welcome new here meself sounds great:) :) :cheer:

• Shoe48
  • User
  • Live each day as it is your last
More
18 Dec 2006 13:51 #100319 by Shoe48
Replied by Shoe48 on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
sheik*yerbouti wrote:

SHOE48
I think that is my old 1000 I sold non running just before I moved this summer .. Good to see it being Fixed up ..

are you perhaps David C or Barry R?

Those are the last two names on the title.

If so that is too cool! I'd love to ask you some basic questions about this particular bike and it's past.

Thanks shoe!<br><br>Post edited by: sheik*yerbouti, at: 2006/12/18 13:50

I am Dave C .. I only had the bike a couple weeks sold it quick as it was going to need a lot more than I wanted to do to it ,, I got married this Summer and moved so also knew that it was best to move it on ,, I am building up the Bike/parts again though :) :)

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2006 09:26 #100490 by sheik*yerbouti
i can't bring myself to call you by your handle "scumbag".. :)

anyway you've raised a valid point. this CSR frame has 29 degrees instead of 26 degrees on the earlier bikes like the '77 KZthou listed in the model database.

i'm going to talk to a motorycle machine shop and guy in town yet this week about some stuff and also about maybe machining me some negative raked triples if he's up to it and if i can afford it!

thinking just a degree or two since I have the axle out in front of the forks don't want to loose too much trail, plus that would get rid of my stock t'clamp bar perches.

i saw a bike in here somewhere that had about 2" of fork up through the triple and the front wheel was almost hitting the header, so if I can't get some triples made, i'll just have to drop the shit out of the front end.

this whole process is going to be experimentation at each step anyway, and I'll certainly be careful when I go to ride the thing. its maiden ride will likely be on the 1 mile three lane paved private driveway at work.

will let you know what he says.

Post edited by: sheik*yerbouti, at: 2006/12/19 12:27

• ran429
  • User
  • Master of FREE rides!
More
19 Dec 2006 12:33 #100515 by ran429
Replied by ran429 on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
Welcome Sheik.

More
19 Dec 2006 14:31 #100526 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
sheik*yerbouti wrote:

i can't bring myself to call you by your handle "scumbag".. :)

anyway you've raised a valid point. this CSR frame has 29 degrees instead of 26 degrees on the earlier bikes like the '77 KZthou listed in the model database.

i'm going to talk to a motorycle machine shop and guy in town yet this week about some stuff and also about maybe machining me some negative raked triples if he's up to it and if i can afford it!

thinking just a degree or two since I have the axle out in front of the forks don't want to loose too much trail, plus that would get rid of my stock t'clamp bar perches.

i saw a bike in here somewhere that had about 2" of fork up through the triple and the front wheel was almost hitting the header, so if I can't get some triples made, i'll just have to drop the shit out of the front end.

this whole process is going to be experimentation at each step anyway, and I'll certainly be careful when I go to ride the thing. its maiden ride will likely be on the 1 mile three lane paved private driveway at work.

will let you know what he says.<br><br>Post edited by: sheik*yerbouti, at: 2006/12/19 12:27

For what *most* machinists will charge to cut some triple trees you may want to see if anyone local to you has a standard KZ frame and a title to go with it. :)

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Dec 2006 19:03 #100573 by sheik*yerbouti
yeah but what would be the fun in that.

i'm going after a Triumph Thruxton wanna be with 100rwhp.

my CSR frame has all the gussets and reinforcements, good for handling. it's got the wire wheel look and with triple disc brakes which is perfect.

i figure anything under $250 per triple would be a good deal if he's willing. but after my measurements tonight I might not even want them.

tonight i dropped the forks 1.25" which according to the measurements i took and the web based motorcycle suspension calc i used would get the rake down to 27.5 and the trail under 100mm. that's thruxton frame geometry territory (27d/97mm) and those bike handle sweet i just want more ponies!

seat height is coming up at least 4" too when the seat base and padding plus the welded in raised seat rails.

hello to everyone!

• wireman
  • Visitor
19 Dec 2006 19:47 #100579 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
welcome to z-jungleB)

More
19 Dec 2006 22:26 #100599 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
Sheik: you're insane. Kool. My kinda buddy!

Thought I'd throw a few thoughts at you. "Rejection" is my middle name, so don't worry if you wanna tell me to take a hike. Anyway, that CSR has a 18 or 19 on the front right? You said you were going to re-lace, I'd consider lacing those hubs to 17" rims. Last year at the dealer show there were some hot options popping up with laced wheels; and since you are familiar with what a bike with 17s handles like, it's a good move. It will lower the bike, but not as much as you think; I've done it on several of my old school rides and it makes a stunning handling difference...and you commented on what you want to do with this thing...anyway, just a thought. Also, with all that wild-ass work, you might consider a different front end...the old school forks love to flex. Lastly, you may already know, brace the head-stock area and the rear-frame area above the rear swing-arm pivot. Criss-crossing tube-stock in an "X" shape from the right side frame to the left side frame is most common.

Anyway, I - like everybody else here - am really interested in watching your project. Kool!

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
20 Dec 2006 05:31 #100615 by caffcruiser
Replied by caffcruiser on topic New member with KZ thou cafe dreams...
sheik*yerbouti wrote:

yeah but what would be the fun in that.

i'm going after a Triumph Thruxton wanna be with 100rwhp.

my CSR frame has all the gussets and reinforcements, good for handling. it's got the wire wheel look and with triple disc brakes which is perfect.

i figure anything under $250 per triple would be a good deal if he's willing. but after my measurements tonight I might not even want them.

tonight i dropped the forks 1.25" which according to the measurements i took and the web based motorcycle suspension calc i used would get the rake down to 27.5 and the trail under 100mm. that's thruxton frame geometry territory (27d/97mm) and those bike handle sweet i just want more ponies!

seat height is coming up at least 4" too when the seat base and padding plus the welded in raised seat rails.

hello to everyone!

Sounds like you've got things sorted.

I personally don't like how the thruxton felt. It felt kinda sloppy to me, and transfer was like rolling a refrigerator from side to side. :lol:

You have to consider the specifics of the frame building too. Taking a KZ frame and giving it the thruxtons geometry isn't going to make it handle just like a thruxton. Frame building has come a long way since our bikes were new. The thruxton uses better, stiffer tubing, better welding, better gusseting, better mounts.... the list goes on and on.

Definitely a good project though. :) Good luck!

Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/20 08:33

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Dec 2006 16:16 #101001 by sheik*yerbouti
Bad Kaw wrote:

Sheik: you're insane. Kool. My kinda buddy!

Thought I'd throw a few thoughts at you. "Rejection" is my middle name, so don't worry if you wanna tell me to take a hike. Anyway, that CSR has a 18 or 19 on the front right? You said you were going to re-lace, I'd consider lacing those hubs to 17" rims. Last year at the dealer show there were some hot options popping up with laced wheels; and since you are familiar with what a bike with 17s handles like, it's a good move. It will lower the bike, but not as much as you think; I've done it on several of my old school rides and it makes a stunning handling difference...and you commented on what you want to do with this thing...anyway, just a thought. Also, with all that wild-ass work, you might consider a different front end...the old school forks love to flex. Lastly, you may already know, brace the head-stock area and the rear-frame area above the rear swing-arm pivot. Criss-crossing tube-stock in an "X" shape from the right side frame to the left side frame is most common.

Anyway, I - like everybody else here - am really interested in watching your project. Kool!

thanks man, i am going to look for a 17" hoop for the front, as yet I need to count spokes on the front hub and start searching the web. might not have to drop the triple as much this way also.

as far as forks i'm going to do oil, preload spacers, and springs. not really considering swapping. anyone suggest a bolt on swap donor model and year that's better and worth doing..?

head stock area has some pretty decent looking stock gussets that I do not see when looking at 70's KZ frame pics -- do i still want to add more material? remove factory gussets and do it with tubing? that rear frame X brace sounds like a plan though. i have extra DOM frame tubing (beyond my seat rails) and my new Lincoln MIG (under the tree i hope)...

• sheik*yerbouti
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
21 Dec 2006 16:37 #101003 by sheik*yerbouti
caffcruiser wrote:

Sounds like you've got things sorted.

I personally don't like how the thruxton felt. It felt kinda sloppy to me, and transfer was like rolling a refrigerator from side to side. :lol:

You have to consider the specifics of the frame building too. Taking a KZ frame and giving it the thruxtons geometry isn't going to make it handle just like a thruxton. Frame building has come a long way since our bikes were new. The thruxton uses better, stiffer tubing, better welding, better gusseting, better mounts.... the list goes on and on.

Definitely a good project though. :) Good luck!<br><br>Post edited by: caffcruiser, at: 2006/12/20 08:33

man i'm so far from sorted, i am full of ideas among other things... thanks though!

i thought the Thrux i rode handled better than I expected for it's old school design. i will be very satisified with...um... *period* handling, that's what i'm shooting for.

hard on brakes, heavy handed obnoxiously loud V&H open megaphone blipped throttle downshifts, and a slow in - fast out cornering style... god i can't wait to ride this thing.

cheers mate, off to the pub for the night. not a work night, but more of a visualizing night.