Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 21 Oct 2016 15:01 #745856

• Atlamillias
  • Atlamillias's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

swest wrote: In any event you should use a couple of these.
Steve

Im still quite inexperienced with motorcycles. Not quite sure what I'm looking at; although if I had to guess, a filter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Atlamillias.

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 21 Oct 2016 15:09 #745858

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If electrolysis isn't aggressive enough, another non-acid remedy is placing a couple of handfuls of sheet metal screws into the dry tank. Then wrapping and padding the tank well with cushions, towels, blankets, whatever, and tumbling it in the clothes dryer on non-heat setting for a few cycles.

If necessary, can use a telescoping magnet to remove the last screw or two.

Douche-rinse with common household rubbing alcohol.

To prevent flash-rust, allow the alcohol to dry and immediately douche-rinse with WD40, or better yet, rinse or spray with fogging oil.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 21 Oct 2016 16:40 #745865

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2626
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

Atlamillias wrote:

swest wrote: In any event you should use a couple of these.
Steve

Im still quite inexperienced with motorcycles. Not quite sure what I'm looking at; although if I had to guess, a filter.

You can get them at any dirt bike/motorcycle shop. $5 a piece. They will get what your strainer misses.
Steve

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 21 Oct 2016 17:41 #745866

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679
Electrolysis works but you need line of site between the probe and all surfaces of the tank. You gotta keep the probe clean too. At the end of the day you are likely to have some spots that get missed.

I've used EvapoRust before and it's good stuff. Expensive and it has a limited life span. This is the best option in my opinion if you have a pristine paint job that you don't want to risk.

From what I've read vinegar works, but it's slow. The phosphate is what the pros use and it's much faster. It doesn't need to be neutralized either. I'm not sure what the city would say about dumping the stuff down the drain though. I've always save the stuff for reuse. It lasts for years.

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 21 Oct 2016 17:54 #745867

• Mikaw
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1863
Apple Cider Vinegar has worked great for me. But you need to rise in warm water to stop the process. If you just remove the part and dry it off it will flash rust very quickly. I had to remove old Kreem with acetone first. Rinsed that out with WD-40, Filled it with one gallon of Apple Cider Vinegar and several hand fulls of screws. I stood and shook and rotated it for as long as i could, set it down and after i recovered i shook it again. Repeated that process several times. Removed the screws and vinegar. Filled it to the top with fresh vinegar, let it stew a few days and it was like new. I rinsed then poured about a quart of WD-40 in and sloshed it around. sealed and it has been sitting for about 6 month and still looks like new.
1976 KZ 900 A4 kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/613548-1976-kz-900-a4
1976 KZ 900 B1 LTD
1978 KZ 1000 B2 LTD
1980 KZ 750 E1
Kowledge Speaks, But Wisdom Listens.
Jimi Hendrix.

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 22 Oct 2016 00:54 #745894

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I used brown vinegar. You need to wash it out after with washing soda to neutralize the vinegar,then warm soapy water to get rid of that,clean water ,to get rid of that then dry it (heat gun,hair dryer,compressed air,warm) and spray a bit of WD40 in to stop the flash rust (a little flash rust wont kill you).
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 05 Dec 2016 06:34 #749519

• khungerf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
If you guys don't have leaks in the tank do you feel like you need to coat the tank?
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 05 Dec 2016 07:48 #749523

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2679

khungerf wrote: If you guys don't have leaks in the tank do you feel like you need to coat the tank?

I've had great success using Kleenstrip Metal Prep as sold by Home Depot to derust tanks. It's phosphoric acid and leaves behind a phosphate coating on the metal which helps ward off rust afterwards. If you do a really good job and make sure all the old rust is out of the tank I think you can leave the tank uncoated afterwards. Understand though, this process requires you to remove the petcock, sending unit, and cap and fashion some good plugs so the tank can sit for a day or two with the sauce inside. You gotta be careful when rinsing out the tank too as mentioned in my previous post. At any rate, I've done several tanks and didn't coat them afterwards and no new rust formed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: khungerf

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 05 Dec 2016 13:01 #749550

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
  • Thank you received: 1278

Nessism wrote:

khungerf wrote: If you guys don't have leaks in the tank do you feel like you need to coat the tank?

I've had great success using Kleenstrip Metal Prep as sold by Home Depot to derust tanks. It's phosphoric acid and leaves behind a phosphate coating on the metal which helps ward off rust afterwards. If you do a really good job and make sure all the old rust is out of the tank I think you can leave the tank uncoated afterwards. Understand though, this process requires you to remove the petcock, sending unit, and cap and fashion some good plugs so the tank can sit for a day or two with the sauce inside. You gotta be careful when rinsing out the tank too as mentioned in my previous post. At any rate, I've done several tanks and didn't coat them afterwards and no new rust formed.

Agreed! One thing I do to speed up the process is to flush the tank well with water and then while it's still wet, spray it liberally with WD 40 this will coat the metal and prevent any flash rusting as the tank is drying out.
Bill
www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Last edit: by KZQ.

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 05 Dec 2016 15:22 #749555

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Also, once the tank is rust-free and installed on the bike be sure to keep fuel in it. An empty tank can rust from condensation where a tank full of fuel won't. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 09 Dec 2016 12:24 #749832

• Grumpy Ole Artist
  • User
  • Eschew Obfuscation!
  • Thank you received: 62
A quick word about WD-40...As most know, it IS a "water displacer' but I know from personal experience that after it evaporates, the residue that is left behind will actually CAUSE rust...it says right on the can that one can use it to "protect" guns, fishing tackle, &c...DO NOT DO IT! I pretty much trashed an old Stevens .22 rifle with the stuff! I I sloshed a quart or so of diesel fuel inside my tank to prevent flash rust, then dumped it out...
1978 KZ650 B2
Former rides...1976 CB360T, 1985 Shadow 700, 1985 GPZ750Turbo

A Rust-Littered Fuel Tank 10 Dec 2016 06:00 #749886

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
Keep in mind, how far rusted the tank is matters. Even with the milder phosphoric acid product, if the tank has rust that is bad, pinhole leaks will develop after the rust has been removed. If it's mild, I agree coating may not be needed. I had a bad 550 tank - 10+years rusted on the side of a house. After acid I had four or five pinhole leaks to patch up. I used KBS Gold Seal coating. That stuff is very good and easy to use - but don't get it on you or anything desired to keep, it will destroy everything when hardened. All the pinhole leaks were cured. R
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016