Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 05 Apr 2014 09:30 #627953

• JamesDean
  • JamesDean's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1

DoctoRot wrote: BIG price difference if you were to buy new carbs vs rebuild your current ones. You would have to change the jetting in a new set of carbs to suit your application as well. Most used carbs you can buy you would likely have to rebuild anyway. Its actually pretty easy. Now that you have the service manual just follow the steps and replace any o rings or needles that look worn.

If you are planing on mono-shocking the stock swingarm, i think you might want to add a under-brace of some sort. They were pretty floppy to start with and certainly not designed to withstand the torsional force that a mono shock will put on them. Most folks that convert to mono-shock swap the whole assembly.

I agree 100%! I am already planned on reinforcing the stock swinger as it was. i thought about swapping it out for a more modern one but it seems that the design on all the modern swingers clashes with the frame design of the 70's bike. I am a stickler when it comes to contrasting parts on a bike, for example when people commonly swap large square steel or aluminum swingarms onto a bike that has a 1" round tube frame, to me it takes away from the overall design and flow of the bike. plus, this build isnt going to be about track times and cornering speed, to me its about having fun during the build and ending up with a product i can look at and be proud of :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JamesDean. Reason: spelling

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 06 Apr 2014 19:15 #628138

• JamesDean
  • User
well i knew this weekend on duty was going to probably provide me with some down time to get some work done on the bike so i brought the tank into work to get it naked and start pounding on it ;) started by pulling off all the little attachments then going to town with a fairly aggressive sized wire wheel, anxious to see what mysteries 30 years worth of paint were concealing from me. right off the bat, i discovered that this bike has been a minimum of 3 different colors, originating with a glorious kawasaki lime green and progressing to blue and finally a lame maroon.

Attachment IMAG0316.jpg not found

as i got deeper into it, as expected i started hitting some bondo from crashes past... however i didnt expect to hit a LAKE of bondo over an inch deep.... good thing im dishing this tank...

Attachment IMAG0317.jpg not found

thought i would do some rust management.... ended up finding a hole in my tank.... great.

Attachment IMAG0318.jpg not found

what it looks like now:

Attachment IMAG0319.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0321.jpg not found

she's still stained kawasaki green a bit... but thats nothing a good sanding won't fix. going to start using my new plastic hammer on this thing, hopefully get a decent looking shape out of it
Attachments:

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 19 Nov 2014 19:35 #654167

• JamesDean
  • User
OK so for all those who saw this build thread, i apologize for the wait but at long last the build continues. i moved from san luis obispo CA to buffulo NY, obviously my build got put on the back burner for a while but this week, it resumes!!!!!!! more to come asap.

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 19 Nov 2014 20:01 #654170

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
What were you thinking? Moved from Ca to Buffalo.
Welcome to the snow :woohoo:
I've been here my whole life.
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 20 Nov 2014 17:34 #654256

• JamesDean
  • User
i was thinking i was about ready for seasons!!!! and precipitation!!!! you know... nature.... what part of buffalo are you in?

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 20 Nov 2014 19:17 #654266

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 512
Hi JD, I am in Cheektowaga now. I was born and raised in Riverside, by the river and the Tonawanda Engine Plant.
I have connections. I weld, do minor fabricataion, got a place for sand blasting and I paint, all as a hobby. As I am retired. I am a Harley guy as I have HD ink in my body and hang with those Guys!
But Have been a KZ Z1 guy since 1977 also
Welcome to Buffalo. I hope your not in the south of town! And have to dig out of 6-7 feet of heavy snow.
Welcome! Go get some Mighty Taco!
Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 21 Dec 2014 20:30 #656679

• JamesDean
  • User
well at long last, some real progress has picked up at last, finally got some fab work done on the frame and some other goodies. less words moar pictures:

sand blasted clamps

Attachment 20141209_134533.jpg not found

powder coated flat black

Attachment 20141210_082221.jpg not found

before any welding, all grinding and detabbing complete

Attachment 20141210_142738.jpg not found

after welding frame cutoff holes and making them look acceptable-ish

Attachment 20141215_144318.jpg not found

Attachments:

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 21 Dec 2014 20:35 #656683

• JamesDean
  • User
for those who may be in my location (buffalo NY), does anyone have a tubing roller or can anyone recommend a shop that can bend me a U for the rear loop out of 3/32nd tubing? anyone who can help out would be appreciated!!! been having a nightmare of a time bending a 180* loop with my shitty hydraulic tubing bender. tried heating up the metal, filled it with sand, and many combinations of the 2 to try and get it to not kink or flatten and i have come to the conclusion that my equipment isnt up to the job. i need help!!!

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 22 Dec 2014 15:33 #656739

• SeanD
  • User
What kind of bike is your inspiration pic? Is that a Buell? It sorta has the look of a Virago.

I like the early monoshock V-twin Viragos.
1981 Virago 750 Streetfighter
1982 GPZ750 in progress

Last edit: by SeanD.

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 22 Dec 2014 16:52 #656746

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621

JamesDean wrote: well i knew this weekend on duty was going to probably provide me with some down time to get some work done on the bike so i brought the tank into work to get it naked and start pounding on it ;) started by pulling off all the little attachments then going to town with a fairly aggressive sized wire wheel, anxious to see what mysteries 30 years worth of paint were concealing from me. right off the bat, i discovered that this bike has been a minimum of 3 different colors, originating with a glorious kawasaki lime green and progressing to blue and finally a lame maroon.

Attachment IMAG0316.jpg not found

as i got deeper into it, as expected i started hitting some bondo from crashes past... however i didnt expect to hit a LAKE of bondo over an inch deep.... good thing im dishing this tank...

Attachment IMAG0317.jpg not found

thought i would do some rust management.... ended up finding a hole in my tank.... great.

Attachment IMAG0318.jpg not found

what it looks like now:

Attachment IMAG0319.jpg not found

Attachment IMAG0321.jpg not found

she's still stained kawasaki green a bit... but thats nothing a good sanding won't fix. going to start using my new plastic hammer on this thing, hopefully get a decent looking shape out of it

I'd be tempted to braze that tank or get a used one.
Steve

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 22 Dec 2014 16:57 #656747

• JamesDean
  • User
Agreed! And believe me, I have already begun exploring other tank options. May opt for a more custom route and just form my own. Tried welding the tank a few days back with very minimal results. Any suggestions for an easily swappable solution for a tank with good lines?

1978 KZ750 twin cafe build 02 Jan 2015 02:27 #657564

• SeanD
  • User
Yeah, I'd just put that tank on the wall and call it art.

Take your pick
I'd just go ahead and get the red one and know that it won't leak through and destroy new paint.
1981 Virago 750 Streetfighter
1982 GPZ750 in progress

Last edit: by SeanD.