Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 30 Apr 2024 15:40 #898270

• Suazo
  • Suazo's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Makin' progress on the "make run/make stop" phase of the project (need to add it to the "projects" thread as well) The bike had been "touched" by a previous owner, so it isn't as original as I'd like, but I have a question... What's the deal with my swingarm? I never gave it much thought when the bike was buried in the garage awaiting some love and attention because it "looked" like stock to me... but it's chromed. Yep. All shiny and shi... tuff.

Can anyone give me any insight or wisdom regarding this? 

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 30 Apr 2024 16:49 #898273

• Vinsky
  • User
  • Thank you received: 60
It's been to the chrome shop, probably back when chrome was cheap. I even did my first Z1 that way.
If I didn't like chrome I'd acid etch it and use a 2-pak primer and paint it.
Vinsky
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suazo

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 30 Apr 2024 17:10 #898274

• gd4now
  • User
  • Denco where did you go?
  • Thank you received: 379
It sort of looks like you got a bonus, what with the chrome looking swing arm and brake arm.  Any other like items on the machine, like clock covers, engine side covers? Some do like the shinny stuff, I certainly did on the autos here in the US in the 50s and 60s. On a bike it has sort of been more about function than looks for me.  Do not get me wrong I do not hate chrome, other than you have to maintain it and at my age I would rather not have to clean it each time I take it for a ride, but I still do.

I am by no means an expert on chrome or chrome like surfaces. I do know there are paints, not sure it is a paint or not but it is sprayed like it, that can certainly look like chrome. Not saying that is what you have, just have seen videos of it.

From the pic looks like the adjustment on the rear wheel / chain is past it adjustment.
1977 KZ650 B1
Pods and Denco header

This is my Z

OLD KAW OWNERS SMILE ALOT

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 30 Apr 2024 18:27 #898277

• DOHC
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Those Doe-Hawks really go!
  • Thank you received: 512
As Vinsky said, that looks like the stock swingarm that someone sent off to the chrome shop.  You're kind of stuck with it now.  Hopefully the chrome is still in good shape.  I had a kz1000 brake torque link  that someone chromed, but by the time it got to me it was peeling in places.

You're missing the rubber grommets that hold that rear brake hose in place.  They are still available from Kawasaki.  Part 13 on this diagram.

www.partzilla.com/catalog/kawasaki/motor...hock-absorbers-78-d1
'78 Z1-R in blue , '78 Z1-R in black, '78 Z1-R in pieces
My dad's '74 Z1
'00 ZRX1100

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 30 Apr 2024 20:04 #898279

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 262
Back in the 70's and 80's it was common to trade in your bare case covers to buy chromed ones (your bare aluminum parts were needed as cores), some guys went further and had swingarms, fork lowers, triple tees, gage cases, etc chromed also.  During that time I followed the crowd and got a "chrome kit" for the Z1 - (valve cover, alternator case, clutch cover, left side trans cover, and carb caps).  Fast forward 35 years and most of that plating didn't age well.  So one of the upgrades I did during my refurb project last year was replacing the chrome pieces with good used bare aluminum parts.  Tastes have changed over the last 40 years - who knew?    

Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58, Suazo

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 01 May 2024 07:39 #898286

• willemZ900
  • User
  • Z1B 4 ever
  • Thank you received: 53
Last year i had somme chromed stuf send to the powdercoater for black. No problems

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 01 May 2024 15:09 #898311

• Suazo
  • User
Many thanks to you all! It does appear to be stock - and chromed properly back in the day. It has held up well (well, during the decades in storage anyway). 
  • I don't see any reason not to keep it at this point, but powdercoating is an option down the road.
  • I'm considering just polishing the case covers and such later but it's just a thought. I want to RIDE it again first.
  • The rubber grommets for the brake lines are on order...  all of the brake lines were replaced with braided stainless steel lines which are smaller than the original - I'm hoping that's not going to be an issue with the grommets.
  • Yep - the chain and sprockets are in need of replacement. 
So - a question re: chain and sprockets but I'll put that in a new thread - thank you all! *

* I'm still getting accustomed to the forum - if I'm not formating or placing posts or replies or such in the proper places, please nudge me in the right direction!
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 01 May 2024 15:48 #898314

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
For replacing chain and sprockets I recommend looking into converting to the 530 size chain (and sprockets).  There are several posts on KZR on why and how it's done, and the pros and cons.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 02 May 2024 11:05 #898369

• Suazo
  • User
Thanks! Yeah, going with a 530 set is the plan. I have a preference for Sunstar from past experience and based on the posts I've looked at, (and some math, and the Sunstar site) it seems like the 530 replacement for the 15T/33T stock 630 set would be 18T/40T in order to keep the original gear ratio.
I can find a 630 set but would prefer to convert it.  Haven't found 18T/40T in a 530 that I know is compatible yet.  I'ma look around to see what I can find. And probably look to increase the ratio - I'd rather have the increased torque/power off the line than top end. If you have any input or wisdom to share, please do!

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 02 May 2024 11:59 #898370

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2088
Here is a handy calculator that may point to a solution with a smaller set of sprockets. Are you sure it is possible to get an 18-tooth sprocket under the cover?

www.gearingcommander.com

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Last edit: by TexasKZ.

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 02 May 2024 16:09 #898380

• Wookie58
  • Thank you received: 1878

Here is a handy calculator that may point to a solution with a smaller set of sprockets. Are you sure it is possible to get an 18-tooth sprocket under the cover?

www.gearingcommander.com

My 18T 530 sprocket is the same diameter as the 15T 630 original

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: TexasKZ

Last edit: by Wookie58.

'78 Z1-R Swingarm... Wha?! 02 May 2024 20:47 #898387

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
If you go to Z1 Enterprises and type "530 conversion" in the search box it comes up with kits containing the required pieces for the conversion with several options for gearing variations.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1

• Page: