Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 25 Jan 2017 10:06 #752879

• khungerf
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
you have the wiring hooked up and working yet?

Looking forward to seeing how this turns out as I want to swap out he stock controls on mine as well.
-Lee
'84 GPZ550

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 25 Jan 2017 11:57 #752888

• BOOM_FIST
  • BOOM_FIST's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
Not yet....eagerly working on it. Sourcing some connectors to make it plug and play with the factory harness.

I like the idea of replacing older Kawasaki parts with OEM newer Kawasaki parts. It seems like these will work awesome once I figure a few minor details out.

I'll keep this updated.....
1977 KZ900A5

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 28 Jan 2017 07:39 #753090

• BOOM_FIST
  • User
Just ordered, hopefully, the correct connectors to get these new ZX10 controls wired up. I ordered a 9 pin and 6 pin connector set with terminals.

I'll take pictures to explain why I ordered a 9 and 6 once everything is in. It's going to clean everything up a little better.

Also, off topic, finally ordered some smaller jets for the carbs. Can't wait to get this all up and running!

Stay tuned....
1977 KZ900A5

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 29 Jan 2017 14:51 #753216

• jowek70
  • User
  • Thank you received: 26
Let me know what you end up doing to match the wires
Kz runs starter lockout between handlebar switches and the zx does not
The starter solenoid is different as well, ignition switch and horn are wired differently as well
There's more to it than the basic functions between the kz and zx thumb switches
A quick look at the wiring diagrams will give you an idea

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 30 Jan 2017 10:27 #753259

• BOOM_FIST
  • User

jowek70 wrote: Let me know what you end up doing to match the wires
Kz runs starter lockout between handlebar switches and the zx does not
The starter solenoid is different as well, ignition switch and horn are wired differently as well
There's more to it than the basic functions between the kz and zx thumb switches
A quick look at the wiring diagrams will give you an idea

After some more research and looking back over the diagrams a few times, it doesn't seem like my KZ has any type of "starter lockout" like the ZX does. An internal clutch switch maybe...but I'd have to dig through the bike again to verify. So, my thought process is that on the ZX controls, those wires that deal with the starter lockout switch will just be capped and taped out of the way. As for the horn, that's such a simple work around no matter what.

I guess I really won't know until all the connectors come in and I dive into sorting out the wires. In theory, it shouldn't be too hard of a conversion...in theory.
1977 KZ900A5

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 30 Jan 2017 11:29 #753260

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I had a hell of a time sorting it all out,but I struggle with electrics in general anyway. I did just swap loads of connectors,instead or trying to match them up.I made a small blade to pop the terminals out.That went pretty easy.The starter lock out is a clutch switch.On mine I had 2 wires running through the original loom and 2 wires sitting under the ZX clutch lever.Starightforward.Even for me.
A big problem I had was the original switches connected into the loom under the fuel tank.The new switches werent long enough and I had to connect them in the headlight bowl.It got very busy in the headlight bowl and it was a real squeeze to get the headlight on.
The best thing though,was that I managed it.I eventually got it all sorted and everything working as it should.I was very pleased.
If you are electricly minded,you shouldnt have a problem.

P.S. I got a lot of help from the people on this site.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 31 Jan 2017 02:40 #753300

• BOOM_FIST
  • User

davido wrote: I had a hell of a time sorting it all out,but I struggle with electrics in general anyway. I did just swap loads of connectors,instead or trying to match them up.I made a small blade to pop the terminals out.That went pretty easy.The starter lock out is a clutch switch.On mine I had 2 wires running through the original loom and 2 wires sitting under the ZX clutch lever.Starightforward.Even for me.
A big problem I had was the original switches connected into the loom under the fuel tank.The new switches werent long enough and I had to connect them in the headlight bowl.It got very busy in the headlight bowl and it was a real squeeze to get the headlight on.
The best thing though,was that I managed it.I eventually got it all sorted and everything working as it should.I was very pleased.

That's really reassuring to hear! Thank you! I'm no electrical guru, by any means, but I have a good bit of automotive experience and I'm pretty comfortable with wiring and rewiring many things. I should be getting the connectors in any day now.

I also just realized that this might be better suited in the electrical section?? Mods? Please move as you feel necessary.
1977 KZ900A5

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 31 Jan 2017 10:02 #753313

• jowek70
  • User

davido wrote: I had a hell of a time sorting it all out,but I struggle with electrics in general anyway. I did just swap loads of connectors,instead or trying to match them up.I made a small blade to pop the terminals out.That went pretty easy.The starter lock out is a clutch switch.On mine I had 2 wires running through the original loom and 2 wires sitting under the ZX clutch lever.Starightforward.Even for me.

Would you be able to post your set up for wire color matches?
Looking at the diagram there are differences that seem like major issues.
I am doing this same swap with zx9 controls and it'd be nice to see a wire diagram from what you have found to work.

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 31 Jan 2017 10:08 #753314

• jowek70
  • User

What bike did you swap controls with? Your thread is like 80 pages long; can't read it all at work, haha.
I see issues with the yellow, yellow/red and black wires from right thumb switch; on the kz the yellow wire goes to the key switch; yellow/red goes to ignition coils and black goes to left thumb switch.

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 31 Jan 2017 11:02 #753317

• davido
  • User
  • Thank you received: 286
I used European ZX9R (B1) controls, with headlight on/off on the righthand control and a pass switch on the lefthand control connected into the loom of an American KZ1000CSR.The CSR loom was in a bad state in places. A lot of melted wiring and hard brittle wiring, Some dodgy connections and botched repairs. The ZXR stuff was peachy.
Dont ask me about wire colours. Once I got it sorted and working,I pretty much deleted all of that from my brain!! Too much other stuff to think about.
I do remember that the only thing I permanently did away with was the 'Park' function from the ignition switch ( In 35 years of bikering,I dont think Ive ever used the 'Park' fuction on any bike.) Everything else stayed and seems to be working fine.I havent done a long range test yet or a rainy day test.
I started with a schematic for the european ZXR and the American CSR,printed them out,chopped them up and worked it out on paper first.Then went on to the real thing. Wrenchmonkey (from this site) was a big help when I hit a wall,which happened a few times. I dont think I could have done it without him.
I think that was it.
Ah! A piece of advice.Once you start,go for it and get it all done in one go. Due to various things,I jumped in and out of doing this.At one point I left it for a couple of weeks.When I came back to it,I had no idea where I was and pretty much had to start again.
www.kzrider.com/forum/11-projects/594313-csr1000-project-build
CB550 (1978)
CB500/4 (1972)*
KZ1000CSR (1981)
XT 600E (1999)
TDM900 (2003)

Last edit: by davido.

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 07 Feb 2017 10:03 #753832

• jowek70
  • User
Any updates on this by the OP?

Newer Sportbike Controls swap 10 Feb 2017 12:35 #754061

• BOOM_FIST
  • User
Yes, I have successfully installed and wired up both left and right controls. Not too much of a pain, but a few things had me scratching my head. I tested the functionality of everything and the only thing that doesn't seem to be working correctly as of right now, is the brake light. Not sure if anything I did with the controls is the cause of this, but everything else works like it should.

Haven't had time to investigate the brake light as I'm working long days at work. It should be a simple fix anyway.

I rewired the low beam to an ignition source to always be on like the newer sport bikes. Tied the high beam and passing wires together from the controls. Turn signals were a no brainer.

Once you study both wiring diagrams a little and find which wire goes to what, it's not hard to match them up.

If anyone has specific questions on what wire color goes to what wire color, just ask. I'll take pictures and explain in more detail. I completed this at about midnight....started at about 4 in the afternoon! So pics weren't happening along the way! Sorry!
1977 KZ900A5