Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bouncy speedo 06 Sep 2016 10:04 #741278

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184

swest wrote: No oil or even a trace of it anywhere.
Steve

Understood.
I don't think my KZ1000 instruments have the same spindle shaft as yours. With respect to that exact same spot, mine look to be a smaller diameter then yours.
However, looking at yours, with it cut open and appearing dry, it still doesn't mean there never was or at one time they were not meant to be filled with some kind of liquid for dampening. Puzzling.
In an unrelated device I've worked on over the years, there is a dampening vessel similar to shaft we are talking about and it is frequently dry. It was discovered years later the manufacturer used a fluid nearly the same as alcohol and Windex glass cleaner!!
You would find virtual no residue when it evaporated out, unless knowing exactly what you were looking for.
Not saying that's what ND would have used if those cylinders were filled with something.
Repeating myself. I don't know if any of this true.
My shafts don't seem to have that same shaft cylinder.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by missionkz.

Bouncy speedo 06 Sep 2016 13:49 #741298

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
I may have had it backwards. The large drum for the speedo and the small for the tach. The complete one shown I got from Jon. It came off his KZ 1000.
Steve

Bouncy speedo 07 Sep 2016 20:31 #741481

• bluezbike
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 104
I had this bouncing speedo needle issue as well.....managed to fix it on this situation.
There are three parts to this......the speedo itself, the cable and the housing where it connects to on the front wheel. After first cleaning and re-greasing the cable I stripped and cleaned the gear housing and that solved the problem.
79 KZ 1000 LTD
77 KZ 1000 B1 LTD (awaiting electrical resurrection)