Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Just got 81 Kz650 CSR need seat/front end advice 07 Feb 2011 02:28 #429118

• newOld_kz1000
  • newOld_kz1000's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • FlimFlamFlibbityFlee !! BoonFryedShickaMuhZee !!
  • Thank you received: 20
Hi folks, I just got a 1981 Kz650 CSR and it needs a seat.

Here's a photo of the stock bike:

I also got with the deal a 1980 Kz650 'E' model parts bike -- here is the image of this one-year only model:

The CSR looks to be a runner. My question is, I want to put the 'E' model mag wheels on ths CSR (I don't like spokes). I don't think the forks will need to be changed as both bikes have a single front disk brake -- would this sound reasonable?

And since both bikes have a rear drum brake, I'm thinking this is a clean swap also -- anyone concur here?

Here's the strange bit, I thought all these Kz650 variants have the same frame with only minor cosmetic styling differences -- but the seat that came with the 'E' bike has a different seat pan than my '81 CSR (the 2 seat mounting pivot points on the CSR's frame don't line up with the seat from the 'E' donor parts bike's seat that I have).

So my target bike, the CSR, needs a seat. Will a standard model seat, like the one from a 'B' or 'C' model Kz650 -- line up with the seat mount points on my '81 CSR?

Here are photos of the 'B' and 'C' model Kz650.
I have to hunt for a seat on ebay for my 'new' '81 CSR and I don't want to buy a CSR seat, I like the seat profile on the 'B' and 'C' bikes:

(I put my other Kz650 revival project on the back burner as I wait to see if/when my atf/acetone solution will free up the motor.)
1978 kz1000 A2 with Kerker
1980 Z1 Classic with Kerker

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by newOld_kz1000.

Just got 81 Kz650 CSR need seat/front end advice 07 Feb 2011 10:34 #429172

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48

So my target bike, the CSR, needs a seat. Will a standard model seat, like the one from a 'B' or 'C' model Kz650 -- line up with the seat mount points on my '81 CSR?

Probably not. For an exact fit: 81-83 KZ650-CSR or 81-83 KZ750-Ltd-4 (once piece seats). Please note that one or two of those Ltd models have a weird 2-piece seat, but I'd guess one of those would work. The 1980 Ltd-4 seat might work as well.

FYI: the 650-CSR & 750-Ltd-4 have the same frames.

Just got 81 Kz650 CSR need seat/front end advice 07 Feb 2011 10:40 #429175

• JMKZHI
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
I don't know how swapable the 650Ltd wheels are, but for sure the KZ550 wheels are a direct fit. Everything from your spokers swaps straight over. I only used the wheels - all the other wheel stuff is from my CSR & I installed All-Balls-Racing wheel bearing sets from Z1Enterprises.com.

Last edit: by JMKZHI.
  • Page: