• Page:

TOPIC:

HELP! KZ440 81 Ignition Problem (Pick-up coil) 27 Feb 2024 17:38 #895685

• jssecenas55
  • jssecenas55's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Good evening everyone 
This is my fist post and I'm hoping someone can help me to figure out what's wrong with my motorcycle.
I'm currently restoring a 1981 KZ440D LTD and apparently I'm having some issues with my ignition system. 
The motorcycle starts right away, idles, runs and rides perfect. But as soon as it reaches a hot temperature it stalls.
She is getting fuel but when hot I don't get spark. I had replaced: Key Ignition switch, Starter switch, Ignition Coil, Spark plugs wires and boots, Spark Plugs. 
I cleaned and lubricated the Timing Advancer (In good shape) and installed following the service manual. Cleaned leads in IC Igniter and tested using a Ohmmeter(All readings in manufacture parameters).
Here is where things get strange: I tested my pick up coil resistance, when cold and tested 460 ohms (good) but when hot I got no reading. I purchased OEM 
pick up coil (Very pricey) part number 59026-1010 (same as the one in my bike). Checked the part with ohmmeter and tested good. After Installed it she didn't wanted to start. I tried a couple times but I stopped as soon as I got a very loud backfire. Checked if I had spark and spark was there. It looked like and sounded like the timing was off. I removed the new coil, put the old one back and she started with no problem.
I attached some pictures of the old and new pickup coils.
Any ideas of what can be potentially wrong?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Street Fighter LTD.
  • Page: