Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 17 May 2016 21:51 #727111

• KawiBunga
  • KawiBunga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello all knowledgeable Kawi KZ lovers. So I'm upgrading some things on my 82 kz750 csr twin, one of which is the tach since the cable was broken and not even existing when I got the bike. I was reading that all I should have to do is put the signal wire on the spark plug wire and boom there's your electronic signal. Well this kinda boggled my mind because it just didn't seem safe for the tach being sent that much voltage to get a signal. Has anyone ever done this, is it safe, and are there any other ways to receive a signal to make my new digital tach go vroom without blowing it up? Haha

Also I upgraded the Speedo, since the factory is cable and the new one is digital it came with one of those magnetic signal deals, where should the magnet be mounted and where's a good spot to put the pickup?

Thanks for all your help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 18 May 2016 05:16 #727149

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
Did the meters come with an instruction sheet or wiring schematic? or is there a pdf available?
I have no idea how the chinese tach should be wired, but Kawasaki electronic tachometers typically have a power wire, ground wire & signal wire. the signal wire is typically connected to the black wire from the igniter on the primary side. the few I've looked into anyway.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 18 May 2016 07:12 #727182

• KawiBunga
  • KawiBunga's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
It did, but its really basic wiring instructions. I've been using the factory kawasaki wiring diagram and converting it as much as possible but I couldn't really see a "signal" wire off the diagram for the ignition coil. The directions that came with it are almost like it was translated from chinese or something. It's an eBay tach as I'm on a bit of budget.

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 18 May 2016 07:54 #727201

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1620
The 82 750-CSR doesn't have a stock electronic tach, so the wiring diagram won't be any help in that regard.
See the 81 KZ1000-K wiring diagram in the 81-83 KZ1000/1100 service manual. pg. 1-27. the kz1000r.com site has had that manual, but I couldn't find it the other day. other sources below --- the zedrider site has it, not sure about the other two.

zedrider.co.uk --- various service & owner's manuals plus several wiring diagrams & parts lists
73 Z1, 81-83 KZ1000, ZR1100 Zephyr, et al

www.manualedereparatie.info
many manuals in various languages, but most I've seen are in English.

manualslib.com --- pdf manual library
manualslib.com --- pdf manual library --- has all sorts of pdfs & you can view the manuals there on the site

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 30 May 2016 09:04 #729216

• Skullcrusher
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
What brand gauge did you buy? I've had issues getting a good noise free signal from ignition wires, I have better luck running the tach off the stator. Tie into one of the yellow leads from the stator and set the tach to p6 and high act and it should read accurately (this is for koso gauges and koso knockoffs)

For the speedo,easiest thing to do is mount the pickup on a caliper bolt and set the magnets in the rotor bolt heads.
Bikes: 82 kz750 CSR, 03 Suzuki gsf1200s (stage 2), 73 CB 750 bored to 849, big cam, ports head, big valves, lots of other goodies....

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 30 May 2016 13:30 #729238

• Bowman
  • User
  • Thank you received: 36
I've got an Acewell electronic speedo/tach and the way it's wired is to coil the tach lead around the plug wire 3-5 times and it gets it's signal from inductance I guess. Not tickled with it as the reading bounces around a lot especially at idle. Even cruising at steady speed it will bounce around 2-3 hundred rpm. Not worth doing anything about it though as I'm not the type to try and keep it close to the red line.
Honda 55 Trail don't ask me what year, 65? (sold)
79 Yamaha XS400 (sold)
76 KZ750B Twin (project)
72 Honda CT70 (project)

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 30 May 2016 16:40 #729270

• Skullcrusher
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Try wiring it to the stator. I tried all kinds of different methods including using the mechanical tach cable and a transducer. Running off the stator is the best method I've found, as long as you can set the tach to count 6 pulses per rev it will read dead nuts accurate.
Bikes: 82 kz750 CSR, 03 Suzuki gsf1200s (stage 2), 73 CB 750 bored to 849, big cam, ports head, big valves, lots of other goodies....

Converting to Digital Tach/Speedo, 82 kz750 twin 30 May 2016 18:46 #729285

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225
I have the Acewell 2802... Not sure how it would work on a 2 cylinder but would think not an issue.
Can always contact the manufacturer of which ever device you go with for confirmations.

1) Wrap provided yellow conductor numerous times around plug wire....
2) Direct connection to Coil 1/4 input of ignition pickup connection at coil....

#2 termination works accurately on my build with Dyna S ignition.....

OMR

In case you need....
Modified cable harness in my build but in following yellow conductor from Acewell, you'll see how I connected
to the coil for tachometer measurements....

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.
  • Page: