Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

What plug wires do I want ?? 28 Aug 2014 17:49 #645525

• skooterbum4real
  • skooterbum4real's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I'm replacing the coils on my 1980 kz750H1. I'm also replacing the plug wires and boots.

What type / size wires do I need ??And what type of plug boots do I need ?? Resistor / non resister ?? 7mm or 8mm wires ??

I picked up on a set of used coils from a 02 Kawasaki ZR750, and am putting new wires and boots on these.

Would 7mm copper core suppression wires, with non suppression screw on caps be my answer ??
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin
SPECIAL CONSTRUCTION V-TWIN CHOP

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by skooterbum4real. Reason: more info

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 08:11 #645577

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
The stock KZ coils used copper core (non supressor) wire and resistor caps. You can run supressor wire and non resistor caps as an alternate. 7mm is the OEM size wire.
The following user(s) said Thank You: skooterbum4real

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 12:44 #645596

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Thanks Nessism !! That's what I needed to know...
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 14:49 #645606

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
  • Thank you received: 16
Look on Ebay for some Packard 440 copper cored wire. It can be purchased in bulk lengths and is 7mm in diameter. I bought the metal ends that go to the spark plugs & soldered them to the wire cores. Also bought boots that slip over all this. I'll look for the specifics on the metal ends and boots when I get home.
Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 17:06 #645619

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Definitely interested !!

Thanks WABBMW !!
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 17:57 #645628

• skooterbum4real
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationBeen looking on EBay, and found these......

Would these work ?? It would give me enough wire to go on my 650 and 750.....

I bench tested my replacement, used coils last eve, and they checked out great. It worries me to buy used stuff, but sometimes the wallet runs thin...LOL
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

What plug wires do I want ?? 29 Aug 2014 21:24 #645646

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
  • Thank you received: 16
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSkooterbum:
The Accel 3010 wire would probably work, but here is what I see as the drawbacks: The wire ends that go into the coils may not work very well. See my notes later in this post. I prefer a 90 degree cap to a straight one; I prefer a soild core wire to the radio suppression wire; the lengths will probably be excessive. Just my $0.02.
Here is one of the Ebay offerings for the wire:

And here are the boots and clips:

Now you may be able to find better pricing, but be careful about the boots. Many are for larger size wire such as 8 mm or more, and will not fit snugly onto the 7mm wire. It takes about 5 feet of wire to do a 4 cylinder KZ. Oh also, the end of the wire that fits into the stock coils - is simply pushed into the socket - and the core of the wire surrounds a pointed pin in the middle of the coil socket. Then the screw-on cap holds the wire from falling out of the coil. Might not hurt to use some dielectric grease on each end of the wire to help seal out moisture. Hope this helps.
Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

Last edit: by WABBMW.

What plug wires do I want ?? 30 Aug 2014 00:11 #645653

• skooterbum4real
  • User
Thanks for all the info WABBMW !!

Please accept my questions as, I'm just trying to learn / understand...

Right now we are getting torrential rains. My bike is setting outside under a cover, and I'm waiting for dryer weather so I can go out to look at it. I was questioning the straight boots as well on the ACCEL wires, but I thought there were two straight plug caps on the factory wires, and two 90's. But my memory is getting horribly bad !! So I want to look at my bike and see what I would get along the best with.

Also, I was hoping to find some colored wires, rather than plain black. Just to liven it up some. Not a requirement though. The ACCEL wires are for a V8, so I assumed they would be long enough, and I would probably have to cut them to size. And there would possibly be enough wire to be able to do the same repair to my kz650.

The ACCEL wires are advertised as 7mm wires. I was thinking about cutting off / to length, the end of the wire that connects to the distributor cap, and leaving the straight spark plug boot / cap ??

I read on the forum, that I should have either a suppression wire, or a suppression cap. Not both, but one or the other ?? Which is another reason I was looking at the ACCEL's. I'm not sold on them, just taking them into consideration. I can't afford to do this twice, so I want to be sure I get it done right the first time, and that it looks good and works properly.....as we all do.
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

What plug wires do I want ?? 30 Aug 2014 01:51 #645656

• kzdcw
  • User
  • 77' KZ1000A
  • Thank you received: 13
Check into Taylor 8mm wire sets. A multitude of Colors.
77' KZ1000A

What plug wires do I want ?? 30 Aug 2014 07:52 #645669

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2681
You best measure the inside diameter of the coil sockets before considering wires larger than 7mm. 8mm wires may not fit inside.

Those ACCEL supressor wires will work, but you will have to shorten the end and install the clips. A special crimping tool is needed so make sure you get that otherwise you won't be able to put the ends on.

Z1 Enterprises sells copper core 7mm wire for about $1/foot, and NGK screw on plug caps for about $2.50 each. Very easy installation and a perfect match to the original bike.

Below are the coils from my 750E1. I removed the outer wire covering from the original wires and installed them over the Z1 wire I purchased.

Last edit: by Nessism.

What plug wires do I want ?? 31 Aug 2014 21:00 #645771

• skooterbum4real
  • User
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationSweet job on your coil wires Nessism !! How on earth did you manage to re-use the outer wire covers ?? That had to be a challenge !!

I haven't had the chance to take a good look at my bike yet, due to the constant rain we're getting here. But I'm still leaning towards using these straight boot / cap ends on these wires, to clip on the spark plugs...

In doing that, I believe all I will have to do, is cut the wires to length, insert / install the cut ends into my coils, and push the straight boot / cap over the plugs. No special tools needed.......These wires are listed as 7mm wires.

When I get the chance to get a good look at the bike, I might change my mind about the straight boots. Will see what I think when I get to check it out.

If I'm missing something, please let me know !! I hate when I waste my money on something that doesn't work....
1978 KZ650B 8,500 miles
1976 KZ750 Twin

Last edit: by skooterbum4real.

What plug wires do I want ?? 31 Aug 2014 22:27 #645775

• spams24
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Attachment 1466078_10204154447128040_1363021496819015022_n.jpg not found

I usually use 8mm copper cores on all mine. Moroso wire is my preference, with NGK resistor caps. I have used MSD 8.5mm spiral wound on stock coils. My current project Im running 8mm copper with heat sleeves.
Speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?
Attachments:

Last edit: by spams24.
  • Page: