Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 10 May 2009 01:03 #289740

• Tommotbird
  • Tommotbird's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi looks like I am duplicating some of the discussions on Apollo63740's thread about Ignition Coil Compatibility, my apologies for that I will study that thread.

Regards
Tommotbird
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 10 May 2009 03:52 #289743

• otakar
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
I do stand corrected. I have read threw everything that has been written on this thread so far, just to review. And I spoke too soon. By using a coil of to HIGH of resistance the output voltage from the secondary winding will be lowered. It may go down as low as 20,000V from the advertised 30,000V. This is a significantly weaker spark from the manufacturers intentions, and may result in spark "blowout". If the 1.5 Ohm coil is used, a Ballast resistor will have to be installed to raise the primary winding resistance to prevent system burn out. I do apologize for causing some confusion. Just tired I guess. :blush: :blink:
74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 10 May 2009 05:33 #289749

• Old Man Rock
  • User
  • Thank you received: 225

balance resistor with the green 3ohm coils or other sized resistive coils

Oh KZ god why..... :blink:
After all this is your spark power we're speak of, why throw other possibilities of failure or non ideal operations into the equation....

Z1 has both the coils (GREEN 3 ohm) and the Dyna-S ignition plates... ~ $120 each. These are basically designed as a match set for your bike.

Install, align, check your ignition timing, done with it!
For the most part, never have to worry about it again. ;)

OMR
1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

Last edit: by Old Man Rock.

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 10 May 2009 09:10 #289852

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Tommotbird wrote:

Hi Thanks for all your input.
I am now completey confused as to whether the green 3ohm coils will be Ok or not.
I looked on Ebay and have even seen 1.5ohm used red coils advertised as being suitable for KZ dragbike etc. Would you need a ballast resistor in the supply voltage to the coils.

What would be the effect of using a balance resistor with the green 3ohm coils. I am reading that it increase the batery voltage for starting the engine and then it decrease the voltage when the engine is running.

Advice on using the green ones please, Yes or no.

Regards
Tommotbird

The green 3.0 ohm coils should be ok for your bike. They will use less current and I think Otakar is saying they'll be safe, but possibly have weaker output than the stock coils. I use Accel 3.0 ohm coils, which if I recall, are electrically very similar to the Dyna 3.0 ohm coils.

Your stock ignition is functionally the same as the stock ignition on my bikes, and the 3.0 ohm coils work great for me. Also, the 3.0 ohm coils will give you the option to go to a Dyna S if you want to in the future. However, the Dyna S produces more spark energy at very high RPMs, but wastes a lot of power at the lower RPMs. This is because of it's fixed, super-long dwell. Your Kaw ignition varies the dwell slightly so is far more efficient, however above 7000 RPM or so, the dwell is still only about 1/3 that of the Dyna S. Luckily, the 3.0 ohm coils seem to have no problem with that, at least in my experience.

Also, on the subject of reliability, if the 3.0 ohm coils somehow damage your stock Kaw igniter, you can fab one for very cheap. Here is a link on how to do that:
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html
Geocities will shut down this year, so I don't know how long the link will be good.

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 10 May 2009 13:02 #289898

• Tommotbird
  • Tommotbird's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks loudhvx
I will go with the greens for now.
Got a spare set of greens that I will sell on Ebay uk. As I have seen a pair of grey 2.2's for sale. Could maybe break even on the deal- I have a couple of spare igniters knocking around too, amazing what you collect over the years "just in case".

Tommotbird
Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 12 May 2009 11:32 #290532

• otakar
  • User
  • Thank you received: 29
loudhvx wrote:

Tommotbird wrote:

Hi Thanks for all your input.
I am now completey confused as to whether the green 3ohm coils will be Ok or not.
I looked on Ebay and have even seen 1.5ohm used red coils advertised as being suitable for KZ dragbike etc. Would you need a ballast resistor in the supply voltage to the coils.

What would be the effect of using a balance resistor with the green 3ohm coils. I am reading that it increase the batery voltage for starting the engine and then it decrease the voltage when the engine is running.

Advice on using the green ones please, Yes or no.

Regards
Tommotbird

The green 3.0 ohm coils should be ok for your bike. They will use less current and I think Otakar is saying they'll be safe, but possibly have weaker output than the stock coils. I use Accel 3.0 ohm coils, which if I recall, are electrically very similar to the Dyna 3.0 ohm coils.

Your stock ignition is functionally the same as the stock ignition on my bikes, and the 3.0 ohm coils work great for me. Also, the 3.0 ohm coils will give you the option to go to a Dyna S if you want to in the future. However, the Dyna S produces more spark energy at very high RPMs, but wastes a lot of power at the lower RPMs. This is because of it's fixed, super-long dwell. Your Kaw ignition varies the dwell slightly so is far more efficient, however above 7000 RPM or so, the dwell is still only about 1/3 that of the Dyna S. Luckily, the 3.0 ohm coils seem to have no problem with that, at least in my experience.

Also, on the subject of reliability, if the 3.0 ohm coils somehow damage your stock Kaw igniter, you can fab one for very cheap. Here is a link on how to do that:
www.geocities.com/loudgpz/GPZgmHEImod.html
Geocities will shut down this year, so I don't know how long the link will be good.

Hay LOUDHVX
Thanx a lot for that link. That is fantastic. since I have a KZ1300 also, and ignition modules for those are about $200+++ USED I can very easily build one with these. This is really great. I have already saved the Schematic to my computer. This would mean that I can build a new module for less than $75 with everything, for the 1300. Thanx again.
74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

Dyna Coil Installation KZ1000 Ltd 12 May 2009 16:54 #290629

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I'm glad if you can use it Otakar. Luckily, you have the 79 and 80. The 81, as I found out through emails with a 1300 owner, unfortunately uses electronic advance. The module for that bike is really hard to get, at least at a reasonable price.

I haven't tried it, but the HEI mod should work on the 79 and 80 1300-6.

I'm sure you can figure it out, but if you need a diagram for a 6 application, let me know.

• Page: