Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 23 Mar 2017 21:00 #757506

• Microairman1
  • Microairman1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello there all, new to the forum here. Got an 83' kz550 c4 ltd that has pod filters ( I got it with no airbox) and a Mac 4-1 exhaust with a cherry bomb muffler. All else is stock with the engine.

I am having some trouble getting it running right. From looking at the spark plugs it is running kinda lean but I am not sure how lean and what jet size to start with. Was wondering if anyone has a similar setup and what worked for them. Currently have #92 main jets ( I think that is stock) and figured I would drill them out to the correct size but not sure which to do first. I was thinking of starting at a #99 jet but not sure. Any help or tips would be great. I really wanna get this thing running right.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 24 Mar 2017 05:56 #757523

• martin_csr
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1622
loudhvx has a motorcycle stuff page with a ton of info about the TK22 carburetors, including how to drill the jets & probably jetting guidelines. see links in his signature in any of his replies.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 24 Mar 2017 07:25 #757540

• Microairman1
  • User
I think I have been on his site before. Lots of good info about it. But I didn't see like any recommended jet size for pod filters and high flow exhaust

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 24 Mar 2017 08:42 #757555

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
I don't have jetting suggestions on my site, but there are pages and pages of jetting suggestions from over the years. I don't know if it's still all searchable yet.

We recently rejetted my buddy's bike with pods and a Mac (with mac muffler) using all stock jets by just raising the needle slightly. It runs perfectly, but the jetting is not exactly right. It is slightly richer than ideal for cruising. The only down side is he gets slightly less mpg on the highway than I do.

My site has instructions on how to shim a needle properly. You will also want to check into setting the throttle stop correctly. Without doing so, you can't really do any proper jetting on the main. The stop is usually set to let you open wider than 100% which gives an artificial rich indication at WOT.

The throttle stop needs to be checked any time a needle has a shim added or removed as the shim affects the throttle stop position.

Without shimming the needle, you can probably get a decent jet compromise with a 34 to 37 pilot and 96 to 99 main. Obviosuly start out smaller. There is a link on my site (jets and drilling page) to where you can get new jets.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 24 Mar 2017 10:56 #757560

• Microairman1
  • User
Okay, I think I will go ahead and try drilling out the jets I would prefer not to try to make shims for the needles. I know it is running pretty lean also as I can put it on half choke or so and it Runs pretty good thru the whole throttle spectrum.

The only thing I am kinda having trouble with is I am not sure about the pilot jet. You are saying between a #34-37 jet. Which would be around a #79 or #80 dril bit correct? And having a hard time locating drill bits that small.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 24 Mar 2017 16:18 #757580

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
My jet page shows the drill kit to get. I usually see them on ebay from time to time, but last I checked there were several hobby sites that were selling them.

(Also, you can buy the pilots from that Jets R Us link.

Last edit: by loudhvx.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 25 Mar 2017 08:12 #757613

• Microairman1
  • User
So I went ahead And ordered a drill set off amazon so that should be here soon.
I started it up and tried to ride and tune the idle mix screw and I got it running smoother but still kinda rough. Also, if I open the throttle past 1/4 throttle it chokes out. Not sure what that would mean

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 25 Mar 2017 08:18 #757614

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
When you say "chokes out" do you mean it goes super-rich (black smoke etc)?

Does it happen worse if you crack the throttle open quickly or open it slowly?

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 25 Mar 2017 08:31 #757617

• Microairman1
  • User
It made no difference doing it fast or slow. No black smoke or anything. When I roll the throttle past 1/4 it just kinda starts at stalling and and if I leave it past 1/4 throttle it dies.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 25 Mar 2017 13:50 #757640

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
I would suspect clogged mains then, but that is pretty rare. Could also be non-carb related. Make sure the timing is advancing properly.

83' kz550 c4 ltd jetting sizes for nodded bike 25 Mar 2017 13:55 #757642

• Microairman1
  • User
Mains are clear, had them apart 3 times yesterday and there is nothing. Not sure how to check timing

• Page: