• Page:

TOPIC:

1981 kawasaki kz750e leaks. 07 Oct 2017 08:18 #772460

• Kisa
  • Kisa's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm on the road! !
I have managed to stop all fuel leaks and smoke issues. My normal clean up is taking a long time but it's because I'm being detailed and I don't have as much time as i would like to devote to work on it. Half hour here and there type of thing. (Family man)
I have one issue and I'm not entirely sure I have diagnosed it correctly.
When the kz is cold and I. Try to start it, most times but not every time, there is a grinding noise. The noise happens until the bike starts or tries to start.
I think this is an issue with my starter. But I don't know if the state is going bad, if I need to check my battery or what can be done
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

These forums have helped me so much with this project and I thank you guys for your input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Kisa.

1981 kawasaki kz750e leaks. 08 Oct 2017 13:15 #772542

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 434

When the kz is cold and I. Try to start it, most times but not every time, there is a grinding noise. The noise happens until the bike starts or tries to start.
I think this is an issue with my starter. But I don't know if the state is going bad, if I need to check my battery or what can be done

If the battery is fully charged then grinding noise could br starter motor or could be starter clutch (big job)

My bike used to make an occasional grinding squeal when starting from cold and this became more common over the years. I feared the starter clutch was to blame but decided to investigate the starter motor first.
If you dont have a manual you can download one from the home page here. Go to "Home" and scroll down on the right hand side and select gpz750.
I took the starter motor out - easy job - opened it, cleaned the carbon dust off the commutator ring with contact cleaner, greased the planetary gears and generally gave the unit at good service. Put all back together and end of problem.

Had this not worked then next would have been to tackle the starter clutch. Not an easy job on the 750/4s. There are a few videos on youtube.

Hooefully servicing the starter motor will solve your noise problem also
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by JR.
  • Page: