Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 04 Jan 2017 19:58 #751428

• 76carguy
  • 76carguy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone. I recently picked up an '81 KZ650 CSR. After rebuilding the carbs I'm just about ready to set float levels and get this thing running. Quick question in regards to the little clip that is apparently for the accelerator pump ball and weight (E in the Image). I can't seem to find a grove in there for this clip to sit in. Am I crazy? There is a small lip in the bore, which I pushed the clip down to, but it seems like the clip would just get pushed up and out when in use. Am I missing something here?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 05 Jan 2017 05:49 #751444

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I don't know if this helps, but below is a parts diagram that shows the parts' orientation. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 76carguy

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 05 Jan 2017 06:50 #751451

• 76carguy
  • User
I've got the assembly right, just can't seem to find a groove for that clip to actually snap into. Just seems to sort of sit in there. In another thread someone asked if the clip was just there to hold the ball and weight in place while the bowl was off. The general feedback was that the clip should not be left out, but nothing was said about the installation. I've taken it out and tried running a small pick up and down the bore and just can't see where a groove is cut. Maybe the pressure below is never great enough to push it up? Wish I had paid more attention when removing them. At least I didn't lose any!

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 05 Jan 2017 06:59 #751452

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
That pic is of a set of carburetors I had. There should be a groove for the clip.
I would think the clip keeps the ball & weight in the proper position & from getting pushed too high from hydraulic pressure when the pump is actuated. I'm thinking the weight could block the pump nozzle orifice.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 05 Jan 2017 10:37 #751464

• 76carguy
  • User
Here is a close up of the bore showing the lip. I took a step back and lunch and thought about this again. Tell me what you think...

The clip pushes in tight against the lip. The oring sticks to the carb body side and will actually go down into the bore. I bet there is no groove and instead the oring actually sandwiches the clip in place. Sound feasible to you guys?

Attachment IMG_1550.JPG not found

Attachments:

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 05 Jan 2017 10:53 #751465

• martin_csr
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1624
I think the clip goes below that lip. and the o-ring would then fit above the lip when the bowl is installed onto the carb body. Those little clips can go flying --- I've been able to find them each time. hee.

ps: It's been a while since doing my carbs & I really don't recall if there was a groove or if the clip just fits below that lip. I just assumed there was a groove. I remember when installing the little parts, the clip does get retained somehow.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 06 Jan 2017 05:39 #751528

• rrsmsw9999
  • User
  • Thank you received: 67
That how the 28 pumpers I had were. When the bowl is on there is no way for the clip to come out, it is locked in there, oring and carb body. Just be glad you have the clips, I replaced some lost ones with spring steel wire. R
1980 KZ 1000E2
Crashed 6/2016

1980 KZ550A
Sold 3/2016

KZ650 CSR Accelerator Pump Clip Question 07 Jan 2017 12:15 #751623

• 76carguy
  • User
I took them apart one more time last night and used my phone to zoom in. Still no sign of a groove so I reassembled and blew some air through to see if the clip moved. No movement with shop air, so I'm guessing they aren't going anywhere under normal conditions. Carbs safety reassembled and ready to mount on the bike.

Thanks for help guys. Much appreciated!

• Page: