Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 06:40 #749285

• daveo
  • daveo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 636
Its that time again :(

After Stabil-izing the fuel in the gas tank, I usually take an hour ride before parking the bike in the corner of my shop, where the air temperature stays between 50-65 degrees through Winter.

Aside from that, I have two loose sets of carburetors, from which all the fuel was drained out. Before putting them away in boxes, I want to be confident that they will remain in pristine condition until returned to service six months or five years from now.

Should I run Stabilized fuel through them before storage, or just pack them away and forget about it?
1982 KZ1100-A2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 07:54 #749291

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Id pack them away as is.
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: daveo

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 08:30 #749293

• daveo
  • Premium Member
Sounds simple enough...

Had to try with the stacks that came with the 34's for a cool-brisk ride last night. Its getting cold out, but no snow yet. :)

I adjusted the floats to 17.75mm+/- and straightened up the drain tubes inside the bowls. The tubes may have come from Mikuni set at different angles, but now they are the same and all reach higher inside the float chambers, which should help prevent fuel from getting in them.

*One day later: Fuel drips. :evil:

1982 KZ1100-A2

Attachments:

Last edit: by daveo.

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 10:19 #749302

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
I'd drain the fuel bowls otherwise all the fuel will evaporate out.

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 12:14 #749306

• KZB2 650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 265
I try'd Stable in my mower one year and it didn't do the trick..... have always just drained the carbs on the bike although since I had em off I spayed a little carb cleaner through the drain plug hole and air screw hole then let em air and dry out before putting them away a year ago.
1978 KZ650 b-2
700cc Wiseco kit 10 to 1.
1980 KZ750 cam, ape springs, stock clutch/ Barnett springs.
Vance and Hines Header w/ comp baffle and Ape pods, Dyna S and green coils, copper wires.
29MM smooth bores W/ 17.5 pilots, 0-6s and 117.5 main
16/42 gearing X ring chain and alum rear JT sprocket.

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 17:05 #749322

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 237
I also did the Stabil thing once, and it failed miserably. This was 30yrs ago though, so don't know if anything is different now. I have read though that Stabil is like 99% mineral spirits, so whether mineral spirits added to gas will do the trick for storage is a question I don't care to try again. I drain the carbs. On newer motorcycles with fuel injection don't have to do anything.
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Winter Storage Preparation 02 Dec 2016 20:53 #749329

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2680
I use the marine grade Stabil religiously, and I live in a place where I don't have to put my bike away for the winter. I believe the alcohol in the fuel these days adds challenges since it absorbs water and can cause corrosion. It can't hurt anyway.

Winter Storage Preparation 03 Dec 2016 05:43 #749339

• bluej58
  • Sustaining Member
  • The chrome don't get you home
  • Thank you received: 511
The only problem I seem to have with the bike sitting is with the fuel selector gasket.
If a couple weeks go by at the end of the season and I get a good day to ride it will start to leak if I use the prime :angry:
So I usually replace it in the spring.
This time I think I will try and bring it back to life by soaking it in something, if that doesn't work I already have a back up.
78 KZ1000 A2A

Winter Storage Preparation 03 Dec 2016 11:46 #749369

• stokes
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Just draining the carbs for the winter always concerned me that after draining and evaporating there is still a residual film in the carbs,enough to clog a jet.I have no data to back this up,but its always made me wonder.I top off the tank and use Lucas ethanol tereatment with stabilizers,if I can I'll use non-ethanol gas as well.I even throw some Stabil in too.I start and run the bike periodically over the winter and ride it any time the weather is right.
1980 KZ1000B Ltd

Winter Storage Preparation 03 Dec 2016 13:31 #749376

• daveo
  • Premium Member

stokes wrote: Just draining the carbs for the winter always concerned me that after draining and evaporating there is still a residual film in the carbs,enough to clog a jet.I have no data to back this up,but its always made me wonder.I top off the tank and use Lucas ethanol tereatment with stabilizers,if I can I'll use non-ethanol gas as well.I even throw some Stabil in too.I start and run the bike periodically over the winter and ride it any time the weather is right.

Thinking along these lines...residual fuel could present future problems by leaving scale buildup on inaccessible areas and surfaces.
With the RS carbs, those areas could be the float bowls where fuel passes through accelerator pump fuel passages, where I believe there are tiny check-valves to prevent back-flow of fuel.
1982 KZ1100-A2

Winter Storage Preparation 03 Dec 2016 17:03 #749392

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Best bet is simply don't store it. I run the engine on mine about once per week for 15 minutes or so until it is up to operating temperature. This keeps oil on the cylinder walls, cams, etc.; keeps fuel muck from forming in the carbs; and keeps the battery charged. As a bonus, when spring comes the bike will always start up with no muss / no fuss. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD, BOOM_FIST

Winter Storage Preparation 03 Dec 2016 18:20 #749396

• peter1958
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 198
The other carbs in the boxes . Take a rag with diesel fuel and put them in a big zip lock bag with the carbs. Will last 10. 20 years
or more

Last edit: by peter1958. Reason: ie