Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 14:35 #743733

• Hoopdee
  • Hoopdee's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
I just got home and pulled plugs and no more wet #2. It has ngk b7es plugs in it and if I'm not mistaken they are a step hotter than what it calls for stock? The previous owner put them in. To reply to ed, there is no vacuum left on the bike everything is plugged off allready. I got it to lean out by turning air injection screw out... ik it's probobly not right but it worked... had carbs off of it a few days back and they were clean as a whistle..... any ideas why the one carb is so much different than the others?
78 kz 650.....
Gsxr front and rear suspension
Stage 3 jets
Pods
Custom exhaust
Dynatec ign

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 14:39 #743734

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
Have you synced them?
Steve

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 14:43 #743736

• Hoopdee
  • User
No, I got the a/f as close as I can via the spark plugs. Is there a way to do it without the "fancy" tool?
78 kz 650.....
Stage 3 jets
Pods
Custom exhaust
Dynatec ign

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 15:00 #743739

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
You need the gauges or manometer.
Steve
z1parts.net/carburetor-synchronizer-tool/

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 15:04 #743743

• Hoopdee
  • User
Do I hook that into the vacuum ports on intake? How do I adjust from there?
78 kz 650.....
Stage 3 jets
Pods
Custom exhaust
Dynatec ign

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 15:14 #743746

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
You need a manual. There are screws but unless you know what you're doing you can really screw them up. :pinch: Not all carbs are the same. See if you can find a PDF copy or one on eBay.
Steve

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 15:30 #743747

• Hoopdee
  • User
I downloaded one today at work :P the problem is I'm pretty sure I'm dealing with a junkyard special.... that makes my job a little harder, but with y'all s help I'll get this beast purring like a kitten, thanks for the link to the synchronization mechanism. ... lol lol
78 kz 650.....
Stage 3 jets
Pods
Custom exhaust
Dynatec ign

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 16:43 #743750

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

Hoopdee wrote: I just got home and pulled plugs and no more wet #2. It has ngk b7es plugs in it and if I'm not mistaken they are a step hotter than what it calls for stock? The previous owner put them in. To reply to ed, there is no vacuum left on the bike everything is plugged off allready. I got it to lean out by turning air injection screw out... ik it's probobly not right but it worked... had carbs off of it a few days back and they were clean as a whistle..... any ideas why the one carb is so much different than the others?

The NGK B7ES plugs are the correct plugs for the bike. They are not a step hotter than normal. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Carbs 27 Sep 2016 22:42 #743774

• Kray-Z
  • User
  • I need more power Scotty....
  • Thank you received: 107

Hoopdee wrote: No, I got the a/f as close as I can via the spark plugs. Is there a way to do it without the "fancy" tool?

Nothing personal to the OP here, but.....

This is aimed at the common general misconception about buying "cheap old Japanese bikes" in poor condition to save money....cause I see / hear it way too often here (KZR) and other places.

First, can't emphasize enough the importance of having the FSM and proper tools to perform basic maintenance on your own bike. If you don't plan on equipping yourself with the right tools and factory engineered knowledge, then it is probably best to leave the mechanical work to someone who will.

Many more good old Japanese bikes have met their demise in garages and driveways at the hands of inexperienced, uncaring, and above all else, overly budget minded owner / mechanics than collisions out on the road or true mechanical failures.

I personally don't buy old bikes because they are "cheap", I buy them because that is what I want to own and working on them is part of the fun. Believe me, I could have bought a very nice, new, and fast bike with a warrantee for a lot less than I spent on my fun - time old bike projects. Just in tools alone, I have well over $75,000 invested, and I'm not even half way to what equipment I want in my shop. I knew this going in...

In fact, being the owner of several of Honda's CBX models, I know that owning and maintaining an old bike can be MUCH more expensive than buying a brand new machine from the local dealer.

Even if you didn't pay much for the bike when you bought it, don't expect maintenance and servicing are going to be much less than a more expensive machine or one in pristine condition. In fact, you should expect to pay more than you would if you had bought a mint example of your bike in the first place. And the age, price, and condition of the bike is not generally reflected in the price of the parts, tools, manuals, professional services (as in shop labor rates) and specialty shop equipment and supplies you must buy to maintain a non-current, rough and neglected example. A shop towel to wipe an abused $100 1980 CB125 basket case costs exactly the same as the one used to wipe a new $35,000 2017 1198 Panagale R.....only you'll need more of them for the CB125....

Just saying....
2-04 R1, 81 CSR1000, 81 LTD1000, 2-83 GPz1100, 3-79CBX, 81 CBX, 3-XS650, 84 Venture, +parts
Quote "speed costs money...how fast do you want to go?" (Which Z movie?)
Universal formula for how many motorcycles one should own = n + 1, where n is how many motorcycles you own right now....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Julian_Boolean

Carbs 28 Sep 2016 04:58 #743787

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
+1 ! Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Carbs 28 Sep 2016 05:39 #743793

• Hoopdee
  • User
No offense taken, I know all about owners manuals and special tools, I've only had this bike for a couple weeks and plan on tearing it down this winter when the white precipitation shows up... having an old bike is my preference bc I prefer to build my toys as opposed to buying them. :laugh: in the mean time I just want to enjoy it without hurting it until I can address certain issues properly
78 kz 650.....
Stage 3 jets
Pods
Custom exhaust
Dynatec ign

Last edit: by Hoopdee.

Re:Carbs 28 Sep 2016 06:31 #743800

• Julian_Boolean
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Kray-Z's post sums things up, I bought my 1982 Z1000J because I wanted one, I could have bought a ZRX1100 for less money and got a better bike that would be a massive amount easier to live with, but I enjoy fettling old bikes, and being nearly 50 the Z comes from the time when I started riding motorcycles, 1983.