Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

bogs down when accelerating 25 Jul 2016 14:33 #736197

• wallie2785
  • wallie2785's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
My tank looked clean and mine did this with new plugs and battery and the air box on

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

bogs down when accelerating 28 Jul 2016 06:40 #736474

• Kidkawie
  • User
  • I bleed premix
  • Thank you received: 245

KamZedRider wrote: I believe I am in a similar position, I have noticed that the bike runs much better when I was jumping it, as if it was running on all four. and when I take it off the jump it seems to be running much rougher. I just bought a new battery, plugs, and oil and did got to pods which I'm not sure if I will keep - got the amazon set for 25 bucks, good construction in regards to air filter. I think and hope oil and plugs and a new battery will help it run much better. Possible it could be coils or spark, or fuel issues / peacock could be gummed up. The tank is a mess, all rusted and such.

Clean and apply dielectric grease to all the electrical connections. There really aren't too many, but it's a common problem getting corrosion in them.
1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125
The following user(s) said Thank You: KamZedRider

bogs down when accelerating 28 Jul 2016 07:12 #736480

• KamZedRider
  • User
Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go back to the stock intake setup. and check the carbs. With the new Battery, plugs, and fresh oil and filter still having issues starting it up. Cleaned the jets and put it back together, could be a spark issue. Will test this weekend.

So I opened the bottom air port/ fuel overflow at the bottom of the carb at cylinder and it looks like one cyclinder wasn't firing as it leaked fluid for a good few minutes compared to the rest.. I might check that too. I'm a lazy fuel injector fool that grew up with turbos and imports, still trying to figure out the general operation and possible issues with the carb. Rebuilt the carbs back in the day on my yamaha fz700 and that went without a hitch, this time not so much.
Chicago
Rock and Roll

Last edit: by KamZedRider. Reason: additional content

bogs down when accelerating 28 Jul 2016 08:16 #736484

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2073

Kidkawie wrote:

KamZedRider wrote: I believe I am in a similar position, I have noticed that the bike runs much better when I was jumping it, as if it was running on all four. and when I take it off the jump it seems to be running much rougher. I just bought a new battery, plugs, and oil and did got to pods which I'm not sure if I will keep - got the amazon set for 25 bucks, good construction in regards to air filter. I think and hope oil and plugs and a new battery will help it run much better. Possible it could be coils or spark, or fuel issues / peacock could be gummed up. The tank is a mess, all rusted and such.

Clean and apply dielectric grease to all the electrical connections. There really aren't too many, but it's a common problem getting corrosion in them.

Cleaning the connections is always a good idea. Deoxit D5 is excellent for that purpose. I respectfully disagree with recommending dielectric grease in this setting. One of the purposes of that grease is to insulate, or prevent the flow of, electricity. It also can prevent the introduction of moisture to a connection when properly applied. It should not be applied to the actual connectors.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

bogs down when accelerating 28 Jul 2016 08:22 #736485

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2073

KamZedRider wrote: Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go back to the stock intake setup. and check the carbs. With the new Battery, plugs, and fresh oil and filter still having issues starting it up. Cleaned the jets and put it back together, could be a spark issue. Will test this weekend.

So I opened the bottom air port/ fuel overflow at the bottom of the carb at cylinder and it looks like one cyclinder wasn't firing as it leaked fluid for a good few minutes compared to the rest.. I might check that too. I'm a lazy fuel injector fool that grew up with turbos and imports, still trying to figure out the general operation and possible issues with the carb. Rebuilt the carbs back in the day on my yamaha fz700 and that went without a hitch, this time not so much.

Fuel running out of a carb for a few minutes is a clear sign of problems. Most often this is caused by the fuel level being way too high, failure of the needle and seat assembly, failure of the petcock, or some combination of these. I'd guess that that cylinder was so flooded with fuel that it could not fire.
I strongly urge you to get a copy of the genuine Kawasaki Factory Service Manual for your specific year and model. It covers all these issues in detail.
By the way, if fuel was coming out of an air vent, the problem is serious and needs immediate attention.
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

bogs down when accelerating 28 Jul 2016 08:23 #736486

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
As TexasKZ stated - "Deoxit D5 is excellent for that purpose." It can be found on Amazon, Radio Shack, etc. Ed

Attachment DEOXIT-2.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

bogs down when accelerating 08 Aug 2016 07:06 #737828

• KamZedRider
  • User
I have been having starting problems and after I cleaned my tiny fuel filter (came with the bike) it would start up and run pretty good for a minute or so then start choking up, sputtering and dieing. So 'm guessing this tiny fuel filter gets clogged up in a min because the tank is so rusty. So I ordered a new much larger cleanable one and will install it tonight to see how it does.
Chicago
Rock and Roll

• Page: