Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 18 Apr 2014 15:50 #629533

• Fkh34d
  • Fkh34d's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm not sure about this but would it be ok to just plug the hole temporarily till I can find a new tube and or new bowl?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 18 Apr 2014 20:28 #629561

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

Fkh34d wrote: I'm not sure about this but would it be ok to just plug the hole temporarily till I can find a new tube and or new bowl?

May plug the hole and run without an overflow circuit.
Some carbs don't have an overflow circuit, such as Mikuni smoothbores.
Absent an overflow circuit, it becomes more critical to maintain the float valves in perfect working condition.

Would carefully remove the remaining part of the tube, and take the float bowl to a hobby shop, which usually carries different size brass tubes, and select one that fits nice and snug into the hole.

After cutting the new tube to desired length, would lightly apply Permatex or JBWeld or ThreeBond around the end of the tube before inserting it into position in the float bowl.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 18 Apr 2014 21:06 #629564

• Fkh34d
  • User

Patton wrote:

Fkh34d wrote: I'm not sure about this but would it be ok to just plug the hole temporarily till I can find a new tube and or new bowl?

May plug the hole and run without an overflow circuit.
Some carbs don't have an overflow circuit, such as Mikuni smoothbores.
Absent an overflow circuit, it becomes more critical to maintain the float valves in perfect working condition.

Would carefully remove the remaining part of the tube, and take the float bowl to a hobby shop, which usually carries different size brass tubes, and select one that fits nice and snug into the hole.

After cutting the new tube to desired length, would lightly apply Permatex or JBWeld around the end of the tube before inserting it into position in the float bowl.

Well that was the plan but I live in the middle of nowhere. I used to live in Orlando where I could find that tube in no time but here I have no idea where to find it. Tried the local hardware store but no luck. DNT really feel like driving 2 hours for maybe a $1 piece of tube.

Last edit: by Fkh34d.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 04:55 #629570

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Fkh34d wrote: ...live in the middle of nowhere....

From the tube that broke off, is the upper portion intact and still available?

Could possibly be lengthened to stock height via plastic tube, shrink-wrap, etc., and reinstalled "upside down."

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 06:04 #629573

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
My spare float bowl is a number 1, drain goes the other way.

How does that tube come out? If it's realistic to remove it, I'll have a go.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 07:42 #629583

• Fkh34d
  • User
All of mine say number one. Only one that said 2 was the one that broke. The tube is push inserted pull on it and it comes out but it's fragile. The base of mine broke off so I had to drill it out with a 1/8 drill bit. My tube wast broke up the middle all the way up so no salvaging it.

Last edit: by Fkh34d.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 08:17 #629584

• Patton
  • KZr Legend

Fkh34d wrote: All of mine say number one. Only one that said 2 was the one that broke. The tube is push inserted pull on it and it comes out but it's fragile. The base of mine broke off so I had to drill it out with a 1/8 drill bit. My tube wast broke up the middle all the way up so no salvaging it.

May yet be salvageable, at least temporarily until acquiring replacement tube or bowl, even if crack runs entire length of the tube.

Pic?

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 08:38 #629585

• Fkh34d
  • User
It ran up both ends. Its in pieces now so not salvageable. When I find a better reason to go into town I'll look for a hobby shop or something.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 17:41 #629647

• RonKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 236
There shouldn't be anything special about them. As far as I know all 22-28mm Mikuni used on the KZs all used the exact same bowl. Of course the left side and right side bowls have the drains 180 degrees apart. You can probably buy an entire bank of carbs for $20 as parts source. If not, I hate to act like a cheapskate, but $10 I'll send you a bowl. I must have 30 of each side laying around. Packing and walking to the post office is $10, part is free otherwise. :)
321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

1978 kz650 replacement float bowl 19 Apr 2014 21:15 #629664

• Fkh34d
  • User
I'll take you up on that. Cheaper then me running around all day looking. $10 is fair even I don't do anything for free. Email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and we can talk

• Page: