Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

THIS is why you add an inline filter 30 Nov 2012 10:32 #560619

• indianajames
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
i have one of the metal cased ones for low pressure car applications and it does the same thing , im tired of giveing my tank a blowjob on the side of the freeway , but it fires right up and runs for a few days and does it again . tank is spotless inside , so i know its not debris doin it . anybody useing somthing that works ?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 30 Nov 2012 10:39 #560621

• indianajames
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
sorry just read the rest of the the thread , thanx patton

THIS is why you add an inline filter 01 Dec 2012 17:10 #560821

• cfaherty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

loudhvx wrote: Is it a paper filter for cars? Those always stop flowing for me after a few months. I think it's the alcohol in the gas partially dissolving the glue in the filter, then clogging the paper with it.

The last one I just removed was a little pancake filter like this:

Prior to that I used a small scintered one like this, but it snapped in half.

Now I am just running a straight 1/4" line from the stock petcock, running on pri or res. I rebuilt and cleaned the petcock not too long ago. With the pancake filter it was running dry within a mile, actually stalling, and now without a filter (just the petcock screen) I was able to run two trips 30 mi each. However on each trip I had an episode where my lambda (installed on #2 header) was reading fuel starvation at part throttle.

So I'm not sure. Could be just the same symptom, fuel delivery issues. Seems like it is really marginal. Or it is just one or more of my carb slides sticking or something. Darned thing runs great other than the random bouts of part throttle fuel starvation, which is really frustrating.

I'll probably look at it again when I redo the fuse box. Maybe it's got an electrical gremlin.
1983 KZ750 F1 LTD Shaft

Last edit: by cfaherty.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 02 Dec 2012 00:47 #560894

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098

cfaherty wrote: ...was able to run two trips 30 mi each. However on each trip I had an episode where my lambda (installed on #2 header) was reading fuel starvation at part throttle...runs great other than the random bouts of part throttle fuel starvation....

Fuel starvation sometimes results from a clogged vent in the fuel tank cap.

Next time such symptoms occur, could run with the cap ajar, to determine whether adequate venting may resolve the issue.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 02 Dec 2012 02:25 #560902

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615

cfaherty wrote:

loudhvx wrote: Is it a paper filter for cars? Those always stop flowing for me after a few months. I think it's the alcohol in the gas partially dissolving the glue in the filter, then clogging the paper with it.

The last one I just removed was a little pancake filter like this:

Prior to that I used a small scintered one like this, but it snapped in half.

Now I am just running a straight 1/4" line from the stock petcock, running on pri or res. I rebuilt and cleaned the petcock not too long ago. With the pancake filter it was running dry within a mile, actually stalling, and now without a filter (just the petcock screen) I was able to run two trips 30 mi each. However on each trip I had an episode where my lambda (installed on #2 header) was reading fuel starvation at part throttle.

So I'm not sure. Could be just the same symptom, fuel delivery issues. Seems like it is really marginal. Or it is just one or more of my carb slides sticking or something. Darned thing runs great other than the random bouts of part throttle fuel starvation, which is really frustrating.

I'll probably look at it again when I redo the fuse box. Maybe it's got an electrical gremlin.

I use that top filter in your picures. I have never had a single problem with it, so maybe the flow problem is something other than the filter in your case.