Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 17:14 #514575

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25
I've got por15 tank liner in ym tank, so there's no crud in it. The screen on the petcock I use is pretty good looking, but I still use a sintered filter. Why wouldn't you? If it gums up in a short period of time that means you saved your carbs from being gummed up.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 18:20 #514581

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
Some paper filters that were designed for cars with fuel pumps will seal off, not because of crud, but because modern gasoline will soften up the glue and it gets re-doposited on the element. Then after the bike sits for awhile, the fule filter is essentially sealed off. This can happen even wit a brand new filter and in a matter of hours.

I've posted videos of this phenomena, but I can't access it from this computer (work blocks youtube).

It wasn't a problem long ago, but modern fuel, with alcohol etc. seems to really mess them up. With a fuel pump it's not a problem. The added pressure just pushes the gas through.

I use screen or scintered filters, but I think I agree, the paper ones seemed to filter out more crud.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 21:15 #514608

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I'm not suggesting the inline filter is not a good idea, but are you missing the petcock screens? No way would any of that junk made it past the screens on my petcock. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 21:21 #514609

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor

650ed wrote: I'm not suggesting the inline filter is not a good idea, but are you missing the petcock screens? No way would any of that junk made it past the screens on my petcock. Ed

:)

THIS is why you add an inline filter 07 Apr 2012 22:06 #514620

• Nitro Mick
  • User
  • 1984 GPz1100 & 1976 Z900
  • Thank you received: 1
If you're in Australia or Un Zud, avoid the Superthief home brand fuel filters.

Pay a couple of dollars more and use a Ryco inline fuel filter. The quality of the cheap option is not always consistent.

Have a look at their range online. As well as straight in and out, they also have straight in and 90-degrees out.

I've never had a problem with Ryco. Not an ad, just offering my own experiences.
I used to be playswithnitro but; it happens...

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 01:46 #514647

• T_Dub
  • User
  • Thank you received: 25

650ed wrote: I'm not suggesting the inline filter is not a good idea, but are you missing the petcock screens? No way would any of that junk made it past the screens on my petcock. Ed

Very true, thats a lot of crud. Thats the kind of stuff I used to find in the bottom of my petcock, filtered out by the screen.
1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 01:52 #514648

• Medina
  • Medina's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

650ed wrote: missing the petcock screens?

Yes. By design.
removed tank screen I run paper Bosch elements, spare in trunk.
Paper I feel does a better job than the tank filter.
I took a razor opened the plastic case, opened up the paper and looked at with a 25x lupe, there is stuff in there finer than the tank screen. AND some weird stain splotches, no idea what that was, maybe rust bleeding, or dirt bleeding? Or...that Sheetz gas station that I got 3 miles from the bike started running like crap? (that started the reason for this thread!)
And per my original thread, the brand new replacement tank filter looked horrid. warped, wavvy, didn't fit into the recess at all- after 1000 miles, I'm sold- that large Bosch for me!
Its easy to get at, five minutes from start to finish.
1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 10:14 #514682

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
I suspect your petcock and mine are different. Mine has 2 screens (one for the "ON" position and one for "Reserve" position inside the tank, plus one in the petcock bowl. All 3 screens inside the tank are pretty fine. I agree that there are decent inline filters that can catch the very fine particles that the petcock screens don't catch, but it seems to me that removing the petcock screens that are inside the fuel tank will allow the larger particles of funky stuff to flow into the petcock and clog it up so it doesn't function as well as it should. When I disassembled my original petcock (manual type) it looked like the tolerances were pretty tight and that it wouldn't take much debris to cause a problem. That stuff shown in you filter picture might have cause a problem for my petcock if it hadn't been caught before leaving the tank. Yours may have a different configuration, because if it had the bowl screen most of that stuff would never have made it to your inline filter. Ed

Tank screen with straight pin head and human hair:

Attachment Filter.JPG not found

Bowl Screen

Attachment FilterBowl.JPG not found

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
Attachments:

Last edit: by 650ed.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 11:07 #514692

• Medina
  • Medina's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8

650ed wrote: I suspect your petcock and mine are different.

Quite a bit from that picture. And the quality of the new one was horrid. Glue up onto the screens, a gap when press fit in.

Heres a thread from 7 months ago. I do love this bike enough to continue to screw with it- even if its likely a dead end road. Its a hobby, an enjoyable one vs. a commuter/beater that must run.

www.kzrider.com/forum/13-bike-related/47...t=20&start=20#473752
Thought I had pics of the old and new filters back then, guess not.
1981 KZ1100 Vetter "Luminous Navy Blue" DAMN YOU COLOR CODES!
Medina, Oh
My Bike Thread
www.kzrider.com/forum/10-new-members/469298-from-ohio

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 13:32 #514707

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
It's possible for some form of potentially screen-clogging matter to remain in suspension in the fuel inside the tank.

An example of this is when a fuel tank is painted and excessive over-spray is allowed into the tank interior.
The over-spray becomes small soft globules suspended in the fuel.

With ample fuel in the tank, any suspended globules are further apart and floating in suspension above the petcock's screened intake pipes that are protruding up through the bottom of the tank into the tank interior. When the tank's relatively full of fuel, there's less tendency for the globules to accumulate onto and clog the screened intake pipes.

As the fuel level diminishes, the lesser fuel volume becomes more saturated with the same globules, which increasingly concentrate around and onto the screened intake pipes, and obstructing flow of fuel through the screened intake pipes. Resulting in fuel starvation that's more pronounced with lower fuel levels.

Refilling the fuel tank allows the globules to disburse and float away from the screened intake pipes. Resulting in the return of adequate fuel passage through the screened intake pipes.

Have observed this scenario where a rider in the group had an almost brand new KZ1000 with a beautiful custom paint job, plus a mural painted on top of the fuel tank. Only with a partially filled fuel tank would the bike suffer obvious fuel starvation.

Flushing the tank, and cleaning the petcock's screened intake pipes, completely resolved the problem.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Last edit: by Patton.

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 14:38 #514715

• 1slowkayzee
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
I'm really glad that you posted this because I just had my Carbs cleaned and realized I have no fuel filters whatsoever. Before its first start-up I will be installing a filter for each Carb.
1975 kz400
Harrisonburg, virginia

THIS is why you add an inline filter 08 Apr 2012 19:38 #514751

• Arthur A
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank for the pics, 650ed.

Have not found petcock screens.
Have one missing and one damaged.

Where did you get yours ?
Did you adapt them ?

650ed wrote: I suspect your petcock and mine are different. Mine has 2 screens (one for the "ON" position and one for "Reserve" position inside the tank, plus one in the petcock bowl. All 3 screens inside the tank are pretty fine. I agree that there are decent inline filters that can catch the very fine particles that the petcock screens don't catch, but it seems to me that removing the petcock screens that are inside the fuel tank will allow the larger particles of funky stuff to flow into the petcock and clog it up so it doesn't function as well as it should. When I disassembled my original petcock (manual type) it looked like the tolerances were pretty tight and that it wouldn't take much debris to cause a problem. That stuff shown in you filter picture might have cause a problem for my petcock if it hadn't been caught before leaving the tank. Yours may have a different configuration, because if it had the bowl screen most of that stuff would never have made it to your inline filter. Ed

Tank screen with straight pin head and human hair:

Attachment Filter.JPG not found

Bowl Screen

Attachment FilterBowl.JPG not found

1977 KZ650 C1 stock
original owner