• Page:

TOPIC:

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 02 Apr 2024 10:59 #897170

• msanch08
  • msanch08's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Mike
  • Thank you received: 5
My 1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for sale.  5825 miles.  Second owner (me).   Image link showing all included in the sale below (bike, new spare parts, toolkit contents, etc.).   KZ200 Haynes manual included with maintenance records since 2012.   Google Photos link below showing everything in the sale. 

photos.app.goo.gl/ksEPV53QpTw98Gj8A

I also have a spare, new, set of original Kawasaki points for the bike (existing points still have a Lot of wear on them though), new set of brake pads for the front and rear bikes (but, again, the originals have little wear on them.  More stuff in the google photo link.

Original, complete, Kawasaki toolkit and the original two Kawasaki keys plus a spare for normal use is also shown in the photos.   Tires were purchased in 2022 with about 300 miles on them now (basically new).   See pics.  

All original parts that shipped from the factory are still on the bike except the tires and the chain (although original chain was probably still OK).  Brake pads still look close to new.   Original electrical system and timing system still on the bike.   Original points (still in good shape). 

All aspects of the motorcycle including electric and front headlight still work fine.   Motorcycle was ridden about 100 miles last year.  

Note:  There is some noise from the case and has been for a while, but, I honestly don't know what it is.   It has not stopped me from riding.  

Google Photo image link includes all aspects of the sale and details of the bike. Sale includes everything shown in the photos.

photos.app.goo.gl/ksEPV53QpTw98Gj8A

I have performed what little maintenance and checks were needed myself.  It has never been in a shop for anything except inspection and I watched that happen every year.   Valves are currently in specification and, honestly, have never moved out of spec. 

I bought this bike in 1992 with 1800 miles on it when every small town had a bike shop.   I found this at a shop in Canandaigua NY, during winter (real winters back then up here in Rochester, NY area).   It was way at the back of the small showroom.   It had been brought in from an estate sale where an older gent had passed but this was his motorcycle and asked the owner to display it.  But, it would not sell.  Nobody wanted it.   It looked new then and still, essentially does. I paid cash for it that day and have been proud to own it since 1992.  

Always garaged in winter and only once did it ever end up on the road in a very short rain shower. 

Why am I selling?   I am 64 now.  My son, who is 25, told me this last Christmas:  “Listen, Dad, can I talk to you about something?”  I said, “of course”.

He said:  “Dad, if you keep riding that little motorcycle out there all around the finger lakes, (I never ride in town) you luck is eventually going to run out.  You will hit a deer, slide down and hit a tree, get hit by one of the many idiots driving cars these days BUT, and here it is Dad:  “The crash won’t kill you.  It will leave you disabled and in chronic pain for the rest of your life.”   SELL IT THIS YEAR DAD.

I laughed.   But, his words have hung with me now too long.   My beloved Kawi KZ200 is for sale and I hope someone who loves it as much as I do and have, will find it. 

Reasonable offers will be reasonably considered. 

Thank you.
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

The following user(s) said Thank You: !Seymore

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 02 Apr 2024 14:43 #897182

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
  • Thank you received: 63
Smart... I'm also older and can understand his mentality. He's thinking about your safety and the fact he doesn't want to take care of you, if this were to happen. Yea, I can see this.

BTW, I don't see where you included a price. May want to include this valuable bit of info?

GL...
ps: may also want to list on CL, FB Marketplace and other online venues that allow this.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
83' KZ750-F1 LTD [clymers] (Kay)
82' KZ1100-D1 Specter (another project)
78' KZ650-B2a (J&H, A Project)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Last edit: by !Seymore.

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 02 Apr 2024 18:10 #897193

• ckahleer
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 134
I disagree. For all my life, someone has been concerned about me riding motorcycles. my parents, my wife. Keep your bike and get one for your son. Let him know how happy it would make you to have him ride with you. 
94 KE100
81 CM200t
82 KZ305
85 VT 500c
85 VF1100c
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Kelly E

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 02 Apr 2024 20:59 #897201

• sf4t7
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 253
It isn't all "luck".  You've been riding safely for all this time, that isn't going to suddenly change.  (if you haven't had any major health issues).  I agree - maybe if your son rides with you it will be a great experience for both of you.  Sounds like that may be a tough sell though.  BTW I'm 69 and still enjoy riding as I'm sure many of us "older guys" here do.
Scotty

1974 Z1A
welded Z1 crank
Andrews 1X Cams
Delkevic 4 into 1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dragbike_Mike, Wookie58

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 03 Apr 2024 02:52 #897206

• msanch08
  • User
  • Mike
I am not sure how to price the bike but maybe $3000 since it includes all the spare parts?  Or, is that unrealistic??   The bike really looks and runs like new.
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

Last edit: by msanch08.

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 03 Apr 2024 02:56 #897207

• msanch08
  • User
  • Mike
I ride only on Sunday mornings, early.   I never, for the most part, rode in traffic especially on this motorcycle.   it does have enough umph to keep up but, one has to ring it out to get away from a traffic light with regular traffice.

My riding has been into the beautiful rural areas of of upstate NY on early Sunday mornings.   Usually, I am the only one on the road.  

Except deer.   I had  an electronic deer whistle on my 1999 SV650 I sold last summer.  But, not on this one.   

Every safe ride is a mix of caution, risk management and luck.   If any of the three of those approaches suffers a statistical fluke, boom, any one of us can be in the shape described by my son, independent of how much our belief system would like to believe otherwise.  

I was a math and computer guy when I was working.  Nobody can avoid random chance.  
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 04 Apr 2024 09:51 #897258

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...
Mike... I just noticed something that I'd like to bring up and ask about...

In the very last image in the album, you show a list of all the items done on the KZ. In 05/2021 you show an oil change with Valvoline Synthetic Oil 10W-40. If this oil has friction modifiers, it highly NOT recommended for our wet clutch bikes. I do hope that you are aware of this... We do highly recommend  Rotella-T 15W-40 diesel oil for wet clutches... please consider this on your next oil change.
C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

Last edit: by !Seymore.

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 04 Apr 2024 14:09 #897262

• hardrockminer
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 1027

Every safe ride is a mix of caution, risk management and luck.   If any of the three of those approaches suffers a statistical fluke, boom, any one of us can be in the shape described by my son, independent of how much our belief system would like to believe otherwise.  

I was a math and computer guy when I was working.  Nobody can avoid random chance.  
Nonsense!  I know a little bit about statistics and math too.  Statistics are developed on past events, not on future ones.  They have a place in analyzing large groups but they aren't useful at predicting events for individuals.  Not at all.  So go out and enjoy yourself and your bike.
I have several restored bikes along with a 2006 Goldwing with a sidecar. My wife has a 2019 Suzuki DR 650 for on and off road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7, Kelly E

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 05 Apr 2024 12:01 #897280

• msanch08
  • User
  • Mike
!Seymore, good question. 

The Valvoline synthetic oil was the Valvoline motorcycle specific oil, 10W-40, shown at the below link.  It is safe for wet clutches and the summer I used this oil I had no problem shifting or slipping clutch issues.  

shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/full-s...kp9DDIhoCMloQAvD_BwE
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 05 Apr 2024 12:02 #897281

• msanch08
  • User
  • Mike
I really would like someone on the kzrider enthusiast site here to buy this bike.

Make a reasonable offer!
1978 Kawasaki KZ200

1978 Kawasaki KZ200 for Sale 06 Apr 2024 12:31 #897323

• !Seymore
  • User
  • Ride on...

!Seymore, good question. 

The Valvoline synthetic oil was the Valvoline motorcycle specific oil, 10W-40, shown at the below link.  It is safe for wet clutches and the summer I used this oil I had no problem shifting or slipping clutch issues.  

OK, I see it's JASO certified, that's all I needed... thanks for sharing and a good call on oil. Hope you find it a good new home.

C.
79' KZ650-D2 [fsm] (Max)
91' KZ1000-P (P = parts)

• Page: