Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Tensioner workaround for valve clearance check 17 Sep 2016 12:46 #742620

• martin_csr
  • martin_csr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
1981 KZ650-CSR w HyVo cam chain & slipper cam chain guides.

As most of you know with a HyVo cam chain, the auto tensioner can take up some slack when you remove the valve cover & turn the crankshaft. then you have to fiddle with the tensioner. What I'm planning on doing is to temporarily install an upper slipper guide w bracket from a ZR750 ZR7/ZR7S, then do the check. then remove the bracket & re-install the valve cover. From eebbaayy photos the csr cylinder head has the same cam roller bracket holes as the earlier 650s & they are threaded; and the ZR bracket looks the same where it bolts to the cylinder head. I've never heard of anyone doing this. I'll find out soon enough this fall, but does anyone know any reason why this won't work.

Edit: valve clearance check & assuming the valves won't need adjustment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by martin_csr.

Tensioner workaround for valve clearance check 17 Sep 2016 13:36 #742628

• Nessism
  • Away
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2678
All you have to do with the tensioner is remove the cap and spring before installing the valve cover. It only takes about 20 seconds. Please be sure the cure isn't worse than the disease.

Tensioner workaround for valve clearance check 17 Sep 2016 14:08 #742635

• Daftrusty
  • User
  • Thank you received: 184
I did just exactly as you described by using a zr-7 upper cam guide when I was installing and indexing my zx750 cams on my kz750e.
I just needed to enlarge the holes in the zr-7 mounting plate as the holes did not align with the holes on the cylinder head.
It worked perfectly and took the guess work out of aligning the timing marks with the cam chain tensioner engaged and was much easier than cutting up a old valve cover down to make the same tool.

Attachments:

Tensioner workaround for valve clearance check 17 Sep 2016 21:18 #742682

• martin_csr
  • martin_csr's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1621
Thanks. Perfect.

Nessism. I didn't think it will hurt anything & maybe temporarily installing the thing isn't really necessary. But I just like the idea of keeping the cam chain in position while doing the check. I've only done the valve clearance check once and I removed the cap & cross-wedge afterwards to reset the thing. :)

Last edit: by martin_csr.
  • Page: