• Page:

TOPIC:

new Kerker for my 550 24 Aug 2016 07:43 #739745

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260

Zaddict wrote:

Tyrell Corp wrote: The CV carbs have a pilot airscrew, your may have an anti-tamper bungs fitted but adjusting these pilot airscrews will reduce the popping on the over-run.

I've already got mine three full turns out. Can try another half turn or two but at some point maybe I should just install a bigger pilot jet?

Try going the other way with the pilot airscrew, turning-in = less air = richer mix
1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

new Kerker for my 550 24 Aug 2016 09:25 #739754

• Zaddict
  • Zaddict's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
  • Thank you received: 51

Tyrell Corp wrote:

Zaddict wrote:

Tyrell Corp wrote: The CV carbs have a pilot airscrew, your may have an anti-tamper bungs fitted but adjusting these pilot airscrews will reduce the popping on the over-run.

I've already got mine three full turns out. Can try another half turn or two but at some point maybe I should just install a bigger pilot jet?

Try going the other way with the pilot airscrew, turning-in = less air = richer mix

Whoa, is that right? Thought turning out was richer. I tried setting them using the lean-drop method, but there's a huge range where the idle speed is maxed (basically 1.5 turns out or above). Will try turning in. Thanks!
1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

new Kerker for my 550 25 Aug 2016 05:33 #739866

• 531blackbanshee
  • Vendor
  • Thank you received: 797
a good rule of thumb is if the screws are on the back side of the slide they adjust air,if they are on the front side they adjust fuel.

hth,
leon
skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0

new Kerker for my 550 25 Aug 2016 09:50 #739897

• Zaddict
  • Zaddict's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Enjoying my Zaddiction!
  • Thank you received: 51
OK, so turning in the screws to ~2.5 turns out seems to have done the trick. There's still a bit of popping, but now it's more of a grumble that I'm actually liking. Thanks very much for the tip.

By the way, I shit you not, I was grumbled past a dog this morning and it started growling back. I pass that dog every almost morning and have never gotten that reaction. That's when you know you've got a mean sound coming from your exhaust.

I'm a bit confused regarding the air screw leaning versus enriching the mix. Now that I turned the screw in, I have to give the bike more choke to start it and keep it running while it warms up. With the screw 3 to 3.5 turns out I could start the bike without choke. The choke is actually an enrichment circuit..so I don't understand why I would need to use it more if turning the screws richened the mixture.
1990 Zephyr zr550 B1
Wiseco 615cc kit
zx550 cams
SPII ignition system
Kerker stainless steel race exhaust with 1.5" competition baffle
K&N Air Filter...

• Page: