Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

loud drivetrain knock 27 Jul 2016 09:03 #736378

• Jankog
  • Jankog's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Im hoping it just needs synced again because i never tightened the locknut from when i did it last. I would really hate to have to clean them again. This would be the 6th time. I am getting pretty good at completely disassembling them, though. I guess thats a positive. I may go get a new filter. The old one is clear and looks clean, but it is old.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

loud drivetrain knock 27 Jul 2016 09:57 #736381

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If not already done, would assure that the drive chain is properly adjusted, both slack and equal axle distances from swing arm pivots without blind reliance on the raised marks, and tthat the chain is free of kinks and is adequately lubed.

Good Fortune :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

loud drivetrain knock 27 Jul 2016 12:19 #736392

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
Hard to diagnose without actually hearing, and even then it can be a guess. However, my first thought was carb sync. Definitely re-check them before diving inside. I've heard some scary mechanical sounding things come out of these engines that went away once the carbs were properly tuned. My general rule of trouble shooting is the first area to check is the last area you touched.

loud drivetrain knock 07 Aug 2016 10:47 #737714

• Jankog
  • User
Ok i finally got around to messing with the 750. Found out some interesting info. As far as the starter goes, i guess i needed to do a full rebuild on the clutch instead of just replacing the springs, the sync was waaaayyyyy off because my gauge was leaking. Not only that but i had a pretty big vacuume leak which is probably why the bike was stumbling. So i just got my starter clutch from z1. Im going to replace that and take a look at the starter itself while im at it. Tuning will have to wait until tomorrow but i am crossing my fingers that these issues caused the noise i was hearing. Ill post an update then. Thanks again everyone.

loud drivetrain knock 07 Aug 2016 15:13 #737739

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2633
Out of sync carbs will make the devil's own noise at idle.
Steve

loud drivetrain knock 08 Aug 2016 07:08 #737829

• Jankog
  • User
Ok got the bike back together and synced. I thought it ran good before. It fires up right away, comes off of choke immediately, and purrs around 900 at idle. Good throttle response too. Cant take it out right now, but i suspect the dead spot in the throttle is gone. Lets hope the knock is too. Thanks again

loud drivetrain knock 08 Aug 2016 08:56 #737843

• Jankog
  • User
Ok so i took it for a ride around the block. Then i brought it back and resynced it. It mustve been a little bit off because that helped, but the dead spot is still there. It takes off great but at about 1/4 turn on the throttle and it starts falling on its face. Itll power through that, but as it does, the knock comes back and stays but not nearly as loud now. Im beginning to think its the carbs after all. Im pretty sure everyone here is going to say clean the carbs.... again.

• Page: