Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re:Piston check? 20 Jul 2016 18:53 #735672

• Rustyhama
  • Rustyhama's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 19
Right-o, I took delivery this week of one NOS std 61mm piston and two Wiseco pistons, they are a pretty thing eh? They come in a wee velvet back like something precious from a jeweler! So today I took everything thing in to my local machine shop including my cylinders of course to get measured up. I'll wait and see how that turns out! We did strike one issue. The gudgion pins of the Wiseco's appear to be 14mm, I was expecting them to be 15mm as per the stock item so we will have to sort something there. I'm thinking the men can bore the pistons out for a 15mm pin and add a groove for the stock clips. Any thoughts on that idea or other suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project
www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Rustyhama.

Re:Piston check? 20 Jul 2016 20:00 #735679

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
Mismatched pistons? Weigh them to be sure.
Steve

Re:Piston check? 20 Jul 2016 20:02 #735682

• Rustyhama
  • User
No, I have 2 Wiseco's. I basically bought the NOS piston for reference.
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

Re:Piston check? 20 Jul 2016 20:13 #735683

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2621
I see. Good luck.
Steve

Re:Piston check? 26 Jul 2016 02:19 #736224

• Rustyhama
  • User

Rustyhama wrote: The gudgion pins of the Wiseco's appear to be 14mm, I was expecting them to be 15mm as per the stock item so we will have to sort something there. I'm thinking the men can bore the pistons out for a 15mm pin and add a groove for the stock clips. Any thoughts on that idea or other suggestions?

Well, the fella at E&S head services says my bores are all good and within spec so the Wiseco's will work. There just the little hurdle mentioned above. Apparently they won't be able to do the work required on the pistons to allow them to take a 15mm piston pin so they have to send them to Christchurch (my old home town 4 1/2 hours up SH1) something about being too small and needing a mill??? They've asked that I supply them with the new, stock pins so I've ordered a pair and a set of snap rings from Partzilla today. Can anyone think of another way to do this? A 0.5mm 'tubular' shim on the 14mm piston pin to go through the 15mm hole in the conrod? I'm guessing that would wear through and find it's way into my bottom end pretty quick - bad idea, I think I'll stick with my first idea. Just looking for a couple o' thumbs up here...
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

Piston check? 27 Jul 2016 05:23 #736358

• Tyrell Corp
  • User
  • "You were made as well as we could make you"
  • Thank you received: 260
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

TexasKZ wrote: While you may actually find a piston solution, please be aware that there is much more to consider than just the diameter. The wrist pin diameter, dome height, valve cut outs, distance between the wrist pin and piston top, and the skirt to crank clearance must be compatible.

This.

There is quite a lot more involved in here than just boring out. Distance between wrist pin and top of piston crown for example.

Do your research first as I said earlier, last thing you want is a motor that wont even turn over when the head is fitted.

Your machinist is only looking at his part of the job, you need to look at the whole design together.

I incorrectly mentioned a 13mm pin size, it is 14mm - the same a same as a lot of these GY6 Chinese scooters. It is ok to change plans if you need to, before spending a lot on machining.

1980 Gpz550 D1, 1981 GPz550 D1. 1982 GPz750R1. 1983 z1000R R2. all four aces

Last edit: by Tyrell Corp.

Re:Piston check? 27 Jul 2016 23:47 #736453

• Rustyhama
  • User
I'm pretty confident that the Wiseco's will be an excellent match. I've ordered some 15x47mm wrist pins from Wiseco, and I had a chat with a guy there who thinks what I'm trying to do is feasible as long a small the machine shop can get it right, I'll trust that they can as that is their business. Below is a photo of the Wiseco next to the NOS piston. and one from above
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project

Re:Piston check? 04 Oct 2016 10:50 #744456

• Rustyhama
  • User
Just to finish this thread off. I got my pistons back. The fella who did the work, Bob Denton apparently helped John Britten with his early engine work. He did an amazing job. When I put the pistons on the bike, the pins went in perfectly and snap ring locked in like a factory job. So now I have a Wiseco piston upgrade on the mighty KZ 305!

Cheers
Hama
82 KZ 305 - Hamasaki cafe racer
80 KZ 750 - banished
06 KDX 200
Hama

'82 KZ305-B1 Cafe Racer
'80 Z750E project