Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

needed to rebuild topend of 83 kz440 D LTD belt? 30 Apr 2016 05:58 #723727

• myfirstbuild97
  • myfirstbuild97's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I recently acquired my first project bike, a 1983 kz440 D LTD belt, i've tried doing research with not so much luck until i found this and was hoping i'd get my questions answered,
i bought the bike with it making a knocking in the top end of the right side of the cylinder was told it may be a valve? i was wondering what all i would need to fully rebuild the engine or just the topend.. i tried finding a rebuild kit with no luck, does anyone know of a full kit or at least a list of parts i need or website that sells them all?

thanks for the help in advance
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

needed to rebuild topend of 83 kz440 D LTD belt? 02 May 2016 08:54 #724095

• MDZ1rider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 118
First step would be to get a Factory Service manual for your model/year and read the engine rebuilding section completely. It has step by step procedures on how to disassemble, inspect and reassemble every part of your bike. The best advice from this forum is no match for the details the FSM covers.
Beyond a gasket set, there's really not a rebuild "kit" for the top end. You will have to source the individual components you need to replace. Again this will be based on the inspection results outlined in the FSM. Z1 Enterprises carries many internal engine parts for KZ's and would be my suggested source to start. They can also offer technical phone support if you have any part questions.
Valves would be the first suspect in a top end knock, but not necessarily the only possible source. It may be as simple as an adjustment or a loose cam sprocket screw. You won't know until you open things up. Start by removing the valve cover (after reading the manual) and go from there.
Good Luck.

needed to rebuild topend of 83 kz440 D LTD belt? 07 May 2016 04:50 #725024

• myfirstbuild97
  • myfirstbuild97's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks i preciate it, my clymer manual just came in yesterday and have started to prep to pull engine, thanks for the advice

needed to rebuild topend of 83 kz440 D LTD belt? 07 May 2016 09:23 #725042

• TexasKZ
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 2067
The Clymer is ok, but the factory manual is better. Pleas see Patton's post in this thread

www.kzrider.com/forum/3-carburetor/60240...-no-air-leaks-revvin
1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

needed to rebuild topend of 83 kz440 D LTD belt? 08 May 2016 01:20 #725153

• Tyler
  • User
  • Thank you received: 92
I second the warning about clymer manuals, find a factory service manual they are WAY better. The valve lash is adjusted by tappets on the rockers, easy to do, but make sure its not as cam chain rattle first. Also the primary chain is the right side of the 440, and they are known to make noise.

The 440 is built like a tractor engine, rebuilding is not that common. It can be done but parts are hard to find. Used 440 engines on the other hand can be found all over creation.

Make sure you know where the noise is coming from before you start taking it apart.
If I knew what I was doing all the time life wouldn't be any fun.

'80 KZ650 E 700cc, dyna ignition and coils, frame up restoration, daily driver
'81 KZ1300 A3 full restoration, custom big bore pistons, 1400cc 6 cylinder super bike
"77 KZ650 B1 - Barn Find, work in progeress
"74 Yamaha DT 400 Enduro

Last edit: by Tyler.
  • Page: