Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 03 Oct 2015 08:58 #693134

• apbling
  • apbling's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 12
Here is a video of my 550 idling. Now, the idle isn't the best yet, (got a pilot issue on #2)

But, you can hear the tick - is this normal, an exhaust leak, or is one adjusted
maybe a little loose? I did just adjust my valves - they are all in spec,
but I know a couple of them are on the very loose end of spec (had to based
on the shims I had)

edit - standby - video loading issues

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 03 Oct 2015 09:02 #693136

• apbling
  • User
ok, heres the video. Also, 82 550, 8k miles, warmed up, good compression, stock everything.

Re:normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 03 Oct 2015 09:42 #693141

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185

apbling wrote: ok, heres the video. Also, 82 550, 8k miles, warmed up, good compression, stock everything.

It's always hard to tell where the ticking sound is coming from by watching a video, If you say your valves are within spec, I'd be leaning towards the exhaust leak, when is the last time you changed your motor oil ? & have you checked the oil level ?
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Re:normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 03 Oct 2015 09:43 #693142

• apbling
  • User
Oil is about 1 mo old, rotella T, good level. It's coming from exhaust cam/header area.

Re:normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 03 Oct 2015 10:43 #693148

• pete greek1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 185
Did you check to see if all your exhaust nuts are tight ? you might just have to replace your copper exhaust gaskets
Pete
1980 LTD 1000..,1976 LTD 900, have the 1000&900 now. the rest are previous= 1978 KZ 650 B.., 1980 Yamaha XT 500..,1978 Yamaha DT 400.., 1977 Yamaha yz 80..,Honda trail ct 70.., Honda QA 50...5-1/2 hp brigs & straton CAT chopper mini bike...3-1/2 hp mini bike (WHEN GAS WAS ABOUT 45 CENTS A GALLON)!!!!

Re:normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 04 Oct 2015 10:21 #693289

• apbling
  • User
Yes I did. I didn't give any more details in my first post because I didn't want to biased the opinions but I did just have my exhaust off to weld a leak up and although I did use new gaskets I had a heck of a time getting everything to mount up nice. I eventually got it though.

See, I thought I didn't hear this before when using a different set of carbs so I thought maybe it was related to my poor firing on #2 at idle. I think it personally sounds like a valve tick. I've only had 1 exhaust leak before and it was very obvious.

Does this sound "bad" to you?

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 08 Oct 2015 17:37 #693870

• I_Tig_in_piece
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
If it's a potential exhaust leak at one of the flanges, these are my ghetto yet result producing methods I've used in the past. (the easier less invovled way) have the bike running, light up a cig (or have a friend do it) and let your smoke kinda linger at each flange. Look for the disturbance when/if it happens. Or you can use a shoe lace or kite string, anything that'll move with relatively easy with a small gush of air. Of course try to do this in your garage with none of mother natures wind throwing you off. Another fast way but it's gotta be done when the pipes are cold, soapy soapy water. Spray each flange a whole lot, like dripping bubbles, then fire her up, look for bubbles blowing. Make sure to rinse it after wards.

ed
Cheap labor isn't skilled, skilled labor isn't cheap.
1980 KZ440a. I went green.
If you yourself are building an older bike and can see it through till you're riding it, that's proof you have patience.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GatlinM

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 08 Oct 2015 20:35 #693886

• missionkz
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 184
Soap bubble trick works good by using a bottle of those cheap soap blowing bubbles for kids... but do it with the engine cold, no spark plugs installed and hold the throttle wide open with the gas selector valve off if possible.....all so it will not start and never get warm.
Have someone else do the cold cranking... it will not take but a few seconds to show blow by.
Bruce
1977 KZ1000A1
2016 Triumph T120 Bonneville
Far North East Metro Denver Colorado

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 09 Oct 2015 05:25 #693909

• Grnole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Hey - i just tackled a similar sound. After checking valve clearances, and realizing they were in spec, I decided to pull my exhaust apart and check it out. Keep in mind... my tick was over by Cyl 1/2... wasnt sure where exactly because there was no puff that I could feel... I could only hear it and at high RPMs it drowned out by the sound of the engine.

It is easy to pull your header off, just keep in mind that the crush gaskets should not be reused. Also - in my instance, My bike's PO used flanges from another bike with factory collars and 2 crush copper gaskets in each cyl.

Z1 sells two different style gaskets, Normal kawi copper crush, and Suzuki exhaust gaskets that are thicker. Due to my PO's shoddy attempt of installing this, I had to double up gaskets to make it right, and i had to use 1 thick and 1 thin per cyl.

I am not saying that my set up is "right" but I think right is = no leak.

Make sure you order yourself enough gaskets, they are cheap and always good to have in your tool box. And even if you pull apart to inspect, putting it back together should mean new gaskets...
1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)
The following user(s) said Thank You: GatlinM

Last edit: by Grnole.

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 12 Oct 2015 08:14 #694257

• apbling
  • User
Thanks guys. I happen to have a 2 year old that is more than willing to loan Pa his bubbles for this purpose. I have a stethscope thingy too and still cannot actually pinpoint the sound. When I got the parts bike it was blatantly obvious it was leaking - crack crack crack! when i first started it. I found #2's header about 1/4" away from the head. A whack with a dead blow hammer and it seated ok. What I'll likely do is order some more exhaust gaskets and just replace them, after doing the bubbles trick.

My only question is about the bubbles and doing it with the bike only turning over (not running), will the exhaust air still come out with enough oomph to cause the leak to occur? What I'm getting at is when the bike is actually running, would the exhaust gases come out with more pressure/speed than when it's just turning over? And if its a small leak, would it maybe not leak then?

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 12 Oct 2015 08:32 #694260

• Grnole
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I did not do the bubble trick on mine. And I could not feel any puffs of air come out.

If you feel that your header was 1/4 inch off of the seat and you were able to pound it in.... something is not right. I would order gaskets, and get more than you need... when you take it apart, you will see how the collars mount up. The only way it would separate from the head would be that their is not enough gasket material between the pipe and head.
1980 KZ1000 LTD -B4
1984 Yamaha FJ1100
1972 Honda CL350 (sold)

normal valve tick, exhaust leak, or valve too loose? 550 ltd 12 Oct 2015 10:18 #694274

• apbling
  • User
Grnole - sorry, when I said it was 1/4" out I should have explained more - I owned an 82 550 for years. I recently picked up an 81 barn find that I planned on stealing stuff off of for my 82. The header on the 81 was 1/4" off on #2 - they had welded some old harley slip on mufflers on because I was told the stock ones rusted out, so I'm guessing they took the system off, welded the other pipes on (yes, it looks terrible) then re-installed, poorly. I did just enough to the 81 barn find to get it running before I took any parts off of it for my 82 daily rider. Thats when I found the leak.

• Page: