Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Major Problem 03 Mar 2015 17:52 #663362

• ewolpert
  • ewolpert's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Patton, to be honest I didn't hear air escaping from anywhere. I am not sure if I should have used a stethoscope but, by ear I didn't hear anything. I had the regulator on my compressor at 120psi and there was no audible noise. Although to be honest, I did bot stick my head at the crankcase vent. I shall re attempt and listen there.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Major Problem 03 Mar 2015 18:27 #663368

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2629
Sounds to me nothing can be done until Friday. I'll say it again, don't jump around. One thing at a time, then move on.
Steve

Major Problem 03 Mar 2015 19:36 #663387

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337

ewolpert wrote: It didn't barely run, it ran quite well.

Hence how I don't understand how it can have compression of 80 psi and run quite well. The lower service limit for compression on a 750 twin is 115 PSI (nominal is 150) and the 650 is a higher compression engine.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 04:23 #663412

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829

bountyhunter wrote:

ewolpert wrote: It didn't barely run, it ran quite well.

Hence how I don't understand how it can have compression of 80 psi and run quite well. The lower service limit for compression on a 750 twin is 115 PSI (nominal is 150) and the 650 is a higher compression engine.

I'm puzzled about the same issue. It's hard to imagine that the compression test is accurate since the bike ran quite well. The standard compression for the KZ650 is 156-185 psi with a service limit of 119 psi. If the compression really is 80 psi I'm very surprised the engine ran quite well, and since the compression is equal across all cylinders it doesn't sound like a valve issue. It sounds more like a faulty compression test. If it was mine I think I would have a second test performed using a different tool. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

Last edit: by 650ed.

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 04:41 #663413

• PLUMMEN
  • User
  • Thank you received: 103
What did you do to sinc the carbs?Try reversing the procedure to see if it makes a difference. ;)
Still recovering,some days are better than others.

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 05:51 #663419

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Hopping around isn't helping ether. On another thread he bought some coils. The wrong ones at that. It's possable that when he does get it running, the compression will come back up. I STILL HAVEN"T SEEN PICS OF THE PLUGS. :whistle:
Steve

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 07:07 #663435

• ewolpert
  • User

opping around isn't helping ether. On another thread he bought some coils. The wrong ones at that. It's possable that when he does get it running, the compression will come back up. I STILL HAVEN"T SEEN PICS OF THE PLUGS. :whistle:

I did buy coils, I am certain I did not buy the wrong ones however. Further I have always planned on replacing the coils. In fact I have always planned on replacing the points with electronic ignition. I will post pics of spark plugs soon as you have adequately shamed me on the forum with your posts publicly calling me out for hopping around.
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 07:24 #663439

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Not trying to shame you. I catch myself hopping around too. I did it Sunday working in the box while it was raining. Put in a rotor, put on the cover, noticed the wires in the Reg. needed cleaning, cut back the insulator, cut a wire, SH*T. Didn't even put on my clutch cover damn it. Had I done that, then moved on, I wouldn't have been distracted. It happens to all of us.
One thing at a time.
Steve

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 07:36 #663442

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
Oh, and I apologize. "Can't talk to you without talking to me". GD
Steve

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 08:23 #663449

• ewolpert
  • User

Not trying to shame you. I catch myself hopping around too. I did it Sunday working in the box while it was raining. Put in a rotor, put on the cover, noticed the wires in the Reg. needed cleaning, cut back the insulator, cut a wire, SH*T. Didn't even put on my clutch cover damn it. Had I done that, then moved on, I wouldn't have been distracted. It happens to all of us.
One thing at a time.

No need to apologize, I have been hopping around. Truth is I have an appointment to take the bike into the CHP for VIN verification next Monday and it is not running. The appointments are a month out and I need it to be running by then so I am trying every thing all at once. Your advice is sound. One thing at a time. Anywho, here are the plugs:

Attachment V__13F7.jpg not found

Attachment V__B76F.jpg not found

Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a
Attachments:

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 08:57 #663455

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
If an auxiliary fuel supply was used during the sync procedure, perhaps crud has obstructed the float valves.

If the throttle slides were left in too high position after the sync procedure, the "closed" throttle position would be the same as a partly open throttle -- not good -- during the start-up procedure.

Good Fortune! :)
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

Major Problem 04 Mar 2015 09:21 #663459

• ewolpert
  • User
Patton, I have since pulled the carbs off checked all the float valves and jets and bench synched the carbs. I used the fuel tank for fuel. (not on bike of course).
Eddie
78 KZ650 b2a