3 - .063
4 - .051

INTAKE (mm)
1 - .076
2 - .102
3 - .076
4 - .063

_____

My Clymer's tells me the correct valve clearance is 0.15mm. Are these too tight of clearances? Just to make sure, you want to be able to fit your feeler gauge all the way through right, with only a bit of resistance?

I'd rather avoid shimming if I don't have to. The cam lobes didn't look to have any obvious wear to them. Honestly, before I opened it up I thought they'd be loose, since I had a lot of valve chatter. I guess that's just what old bikes sound like!

Judging by how hard it was to take off the old gasket, I'd guess no one has been in there for a while. I already have a new gasket and am willing to shim if I have to. I think I need new rubber plugs as well because it was leaking from those areas on all sides.

Oh, and there were pools of oil under the camshaft.. is that normal?

-Stephen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by krayneeum.

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 04:36 #656066

• zed1015
  • Away
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1472
Your feeler gauge should slide through with some slight drag.
Almost all of your clearances are on the tight side so you will need at least the next size thinner shim on them to avoid burning valves in the near future.
These engines do run fairly quietly so you chattering noise may well be a worn cam chain or piston slap etc depending on mileage.
The pools of oil under the cam are normal, The more the merrier.
AIR CORRECTOR JETS FOR VM CARBS AND ETHANOL RESISTANT VITON CHOKE PLUNGER SEAL REPLACMENT FOR ALL CLASSIC AND MODERN MOTORCYCLE CARBURETTORS
kzrider.com/forum/23-for-sale/611992-air-corrector-jets-

Last edit: by zed1015.

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 06:00 #656068

• Nessism
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 2683
Did you check the clearance by pointing the lobe away from the valve head (Clymer method), or did you position the cams in the way the factory Kawasaki manual specifies? If you used the former, your clearances are going to be different (greater clearance) than the Kawasaki specified method. Not a huge crisis, but you might want to rethink your method since performing valve adjust isn't trivial. With the Clymer method the adjacent valve pushes up on the cam and skews it within the journal clearance. The Kawasaki method placed the two adjacent valves both on the base circle so the measurement is more accurate.

The valves tighten with mileage, that's why neglected valve clearances result in a damaged engine. If it were just a matter of extra noise that wouldn't be a big deal, but that's not the case in reality. The Clymer method gives a false sense of security since the clearance will appear greater than it really is.
The following user(s) said Thank You: krayneeum, jeffwerner

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 06:04 #656069

• 650ed
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2829
Clymer books are junk. The proper clearance is 0.08 - 0.18mm. Given that, all your exhaust valves are tight and intake valves 1, 3, &4 are tight.

HOWEVER - before you remove the cams to swap shims make VERY sure you are measuring the clearances correctly. If you are not, you may end up adjusting valve clearances that are already OK and putting them out of the correct range.

I suggest you get a Kawasaki Service Manual for your exact year / model bike before you try to adjust things. Also, ask for tips here first if you decide to swap shims. Ed
1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)
The following user(s) said Thank You: krayneeum

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 14:58 #656109

• krayneeum
  • krayneeum's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0

Nessism wrote: Did you check the clearance by pointing the lobe away from the valve head (Clymer method), or did you position the cams in the way the factory Kawasaki manual specifies? If you used the former, your clearances are going to be different (greater clearance) than the Kawasaki specified method. Not a huge crisis, but you might want to rethink your method since performing valve adjust isn't trivial. With the Clymer method the adjacent valve pushes up on the cam and skews it within the journal clearance. The Kawasaki method placed the two adjacent valves both on the base circle so the measurement is more accurate.

The valves tighten with mileage, that's why neglected valve clearances result in a damaged engine. If it were just a matter of extra noise that wouldn't be a big deal, but that's not the case in reality. The Clymer method gives a false sense of security since the clearance will appear greater than it really is.

I did it the Clymer method-- lobe pointing away from valve head.

I always thought that valves loosen with mileage because the metal wears down! Thanks for clarifying.

I'm not sure how tight it's supposed to be, but when I turn the engine over by hand the cam chain looks like it loosens and tightens through the stroke. It's not super loose, just a little bit looser than at other points in the stroke.

Thanks for the help!

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 14:59 #656110

• krayneeum
  • User

650ed wrote: Clymer books are junk. The proper clearance is 0.08 - 0.18mm. Given that, all your exhaust valves are tight and intake valves 1, 3, &4 are tight.

HOWEVER - before you remove the cams to swap shims make VERY sure you are measuring the clearances correctly. If you are not, you may end up adjusting valve clearances that are already OK and putting them out of the correct range.

I suggest you get a Kawasaki Service Manual for your exact year / model bike before you try to adjust things. Also, ask for tips here first if you decide to swap shims. Ed

Thanks Ed! I will try the KSM method before I decide to shim.

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 15:13 #656113

• krayneeum
  • User
Can anyone tell me if this is the Kawasaki service manual method?

Attachment ValveClearanceGuide.jpg not found

If not,does anyone have the appropriate information handy? I'm looking for a KSM on ebay now..
Attachments:

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 16:55 #656120

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
My FSM says to check clearance with the cam lobe pointed directly away from the lifter.
1979 KZ-750 Twin

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 16:57 #656121

• bountyhunter
  • User
  • Thank you received: 337
picture
1979 KZ-750 Twin
Attachments:

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 18:47 #656132

• 650ed
  • User
Here's the chart from the KZ650 Kawasaki Service Manual. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-12-16.jpg not found

Attachments:

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 15 Dec 2014 18:49 #656133

• 650ed
  • User

bountyhunter wrote: picture

That may be the spec for the KZ750 twin, but the KZ650 spec is different. Ed

Last edit: by 650ed.

Valve clearance too tight?? '77 KZ650 16 Dec 2014 15:44 #656209

• krayneeum
  • User

650ed wrote: Here's the chart from the KZ650 Kawasaki Service Manual. Ed

Attachment 00003a_2014-12-16.jpg not found

What does it mean to "Align the sprocket mark with the cylinder head surface"? From what it looks like the cam lobe is just in a random position? I'm a bit confused by these instructions..

Just ordered a replica KSM on eBay!! Glad I made the right choice!